Re: [TwinCLinG] Permission

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 5, 2000
      On 05/08/00 02:32 -0700, sadiq shareef rearranged electrons thus:

      > if u want to give access to user test only execute for
      > file xyz.txt

      > chmod 761 xyz.txt test this means owner full rights
      > group 6 i.e read and exec and finally the user 1 only
      > execute finally u display ls -l
      > rwxr-x--x xyz.txt

      I know that extensions don't matter in unix / linux - but if .txt is an ascii
      text file, how do you plan to execute it? Give it just rw for yourself, no
      permissions for others.

      --
      Suresh Ramasubramanian + suresh (@) kcircle.com
      Friday@... + http://www.kcircle.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 5, 2000
        > > rwxr-x--x xyz.txt
        >
        > I know that extensions don't matter in unix / linux - but if .txt is an ascii
        > text file, how do you plan to execute it? Give it just rw for yourself, no
        > permissions for others.

        script file?
        Ashok
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 5, 2000
          On 05/08/00 22:11 +0530, V S Ashoka rearranged electrons thus:

          > > > rwxr-x--x xyz.txt

          > > I know that extensions don't matter in unix / linux - but if .txt is an
          > > ascii
          > > text file, how do you plan to execute it? Give it just rw for yourself, no
          > > permissions for others.

          > script file?

          ....... which normally have standard extensions - at least for convenience
          sake.

          --
          Suresh Ramasubramanian + suresh (@) kcircle.com
          Friday@... + http://www.kcircle.com
          "Last week a cop stopped me in my car. He asked me if I had a police
          record. I said, no, but I have the new DEVO album. Cops have no sense
          of humor."
        • aqeel ss
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 5, 2000
            i am sorry for the below rights numbers actuall it
            should be 4+2+1 i.e 4 read 2 write and 1 execute. and
            for the other friends the example what i have given is
            just an example. if u did not like it then put some
            other filename .

            best regards

          • Nick Hill
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 5, 2000
              whoa!

              u're logic is kewl. but actually the permissions byte is an octal. see man chmod, for the exact
              octal codes, tho i think u're reasoning is pretty kewl for fundamental permisions, it gets a
              lil' complex down the way when u want suid/sgid/stick modes...

              Nikhil.