Re: [TwinCLinG] some help using raw sockets

  • Y Giridhar Appaji Nag
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 5, 2006
      On 06/04/05 13:52 -0000, M.Hazem said ...

      > I am having one problem related to creating raw socket (for ping
      > program )and passing payload along with the header but I am not succeed
      > up to now could anybody tell me what are the steps involved and what
      > are some of system calls those which I have to use?????

      What is the error that you get when you try to create the raw socket?
      Your effective uid has to be 0 to be able to create one. Use perror to
      catch errors. See perror(3).

      Giridhar

      --
      Y Giridhar Appaji Nag | http://www.appaji.net/
    • Vijay Madhavapeddi
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 5, 2006
        I hope you have Richard Steven's Unix Network Programming, 3rd Edition, with you. Otherwise, you should get it first.

        Vijay

        Y Giridhar Appaji Nag <giridhar@...> wrote: On 06/04/05 13:52 -0000, M.Hazem said ...

        > I am having one problem related to creating raw socket (for ping
        > program )and passing payload along with the header but I am not succeed
        > up to now could anybody tell me what are the steps involved and what
        > are some of system calls those which I have to use?????

        What is the error that you get when you try to create the raw socket?
        Your effective uid has to be 0 to be able to create one. Use perror to
        catch errors. See perror(3).

        Giridhar

        --
        Y Giridhar Appaji Nag | http://www.appaji.net/

        ====
        Home: (+91-40) 5577-6232 (Hyderabad, India)
        Work: (+91-40) 5593-0000

      • Y Giridhar Appaji Nag
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 5, 2006
          On 06/04/05 08:31 -0700, Vijay Madhavapeddi said ...
          > I hope you have Richard Steven's Unix Network Programming, 3rd
          > Edition, with you. Otherwise, you should get it first.

          Was this suggestion for me? Or was your email a top post intended for
          the OP? Either way, your response wasn't helpful at all. I would say,
          "care to explain?" :-)

          Giridhar

          --
          Y Giridhar Appaji Nag | http://www.appaji.net/
        • ajay shekhar
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 6, 2006
            If you could elaborate precisely what issue you are
            hitting with raw sockets, others will be able to
            help you better.
            You have also asked about what system calls to use,
            which leads others to believe that you don't
            have a proper program yet. Where are you wrt the code?
            Are you running into issues(not seeing desired
            results)
            when executing the PING program.
            For reference, you could look at the PING program in
            one of the books by Richard Stevens.

            Ajay

            --- "M.Hazem" <mhhsoft@...> wrote:

            > Hello all
            >
            > I am having one problem related to creating raw
            > socket (for ping
            > program )and passing payload along with the header
            > but I am not succeed
            > up to now could anybody tell me what are the steps
            > involved and what
            > are some of system calls those which I have to
            > use?????
            >
            > thanx

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Vijay Madhavapeddi
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 6, 2006
              Hi Giridhar,

              My message was meant for Hazim. No offence intended.

              Bye,
              Vijay

              Y Giridhar Appaji Nag <giridhar@...> wrote: On 06/04/05 08:31 -0700, Vijay Madhavapeddi said ...

              --