Re: [TwinCLinG] Swap Area

  • vijay
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1, 2000
      hi !!!

      thanks for the tips on swap area..

      i would like to get some info on Linking 2 directories.

      it is like this, i have 2 hdd on my system. The first hdd have the /home
      area ( here i have all users home dir , /home/user1 , /home/user2 etc )
      and the disk is almost full. Now i want to create a dir on the 2'nd hdd
      ( say /home1 or so ) and link the home directories of each user .

      Can you tell me which will be the best way to do this.

      thanks
      vijay
    • Nick Hill
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 1, 2000
        On Tue, Aug 01, 2000 at 11:12:59AM +0530, vulcan2000@... wrote:

        > at this moment, my c: has a file win386.swp size 98,304KB made today.
        > whenever i noticed, it is bigger than 100MB.

        rationale: windoze is a _heavy_ code bloat. u need to know how to configure and
        optimize windoze... sad to say, but i'm a poweruser in windoze... been with it
        too long to be lame

        > oops! of course, HDD is cheaper than RAM. thanks for correction.

        heh

        > isn't that the thumb rule for swap area?
        >
        > swap = double the main mem.

        that's no thumb rule... u put in howmuchever swap u want and think that u're
        box may need...

        > subject to 128M limit imposed by system. i wonder when are they going to
        > waive that limit as more and more memory is affordable.

        no comments... see my mail...

        Nikhil.

        > regards.
        > -vulcan

      • Nick Hill
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 1, 2000
          On Tue, Aug 01, 2000 at 06:51:08PM +0530, vijay wrote:
          > hi !!!
          >
          > thanks for the tips on swap area..
          >

          > i would like to get some info on Linking 2 directories.
          >
          > it is like this, i have 2 hdd on my system. The first hdd have the /home
          > area ( here i have all users home dir , /home/user1 , /home/user2 etc )
          > and the disk is almost full. Now i want to create a dir on the 2'nd hdd
          > ( say /home1 or so ) and link the home directories of each user .
          >
          > Can you tell me which will be the best way to do this.

          mount the second hdd on /home1 and make sym links from /home/* to /home1/*
          whenever u create a new user, move his dir to /home1 and make a symlink at /home
          to it.

          Nikhil.

          > thanks
          > vijay

        • vijay
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 1, 2000
            hi nickhill !!

            > mount the second hdd on /home1 and make sym links from /home/* to /home1/*
            > whenever u create a new user, move his dir to /home1 and make a symlink at /home
            > to it.
            >
            > Nikhil.

            See it is this way, i have already installed the 2'nd HDD and mounted the same. I
            also
            have the /home1 DIR.

            My doubt is how should i do the proper linking of the present ( already existing
            users on /home
            ,on the 1'st hdd ) user's home directories. Keeping in mind that the system should
            not say at any
            point that Disk1 is Full.

            So my intention is that /hdd1/home users should take additional space from hdd2, so
            in which way
            the link work fine ??.

            Is it
            # ln -sf /hdd1/home1/userdir /hdd2/home2/userdir

            OR
            # ln -sf /hdd2/home2/userdir /hdd1/home1/userdir ???

            thanks
            vijay
          • Nick Hill
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 2, 2000
              On Wed, Aug 02, 2000 at 11:15:35AM +0530, vijay wrote:
              > hi nickhill !!

              hiya!

              > not say at any
              > point that Disk1 is Full.
              >
              > So my intention is that /hdd1/home users should take additional space from hdd2, so
              > in which way
              > the link work fine ??.
              >
              > Is it
              > # ln -sf /hdd1/home1/userdir /hdd2/home2/userdir
              >
              > OR
              > # ln -sf /hdd2/home2/userdir /hdd1/home1/userdir ???

              why dont u mv /hdd1/home1/* /hdd2/home2
              and mount /hdd2/home2 as /home ?

              so that u'll have the os on hdd1, and the home dirs on hdd2.

              Nikhil.