best way to compile a different kernel

  • atul_negi
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2006
      I would like to test out a new kernel given to me
      by IIT Madras MOOL project. It is essentially a
      2.4.28 kernel with some customization in some files.

      They sent me a CD with all directories like
      Linux-2.4.28->
      Arch, Crypto, Documentation, drivers, fs, include ... kernel etc.

      There is a makefile in the maindirectory. I can post it
      to anybody who would like to see.

      I intend to copy the files and directories on the CD to
      my system. Run a usual make config etc. any shortcuts/cautions?

      Thanks

      -AN
    • Shakthi Kannan
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2006
        Dear Atul,

        --- atul_negi <atulcs@...> wrote:
        > Run a usual make config etc. any
        > shortcuts/cautions?

        Shortcuts? None. Always learn and understand what you
        are doing.

        What platform? hardware?

        To compile a 2.4 kernel use:

        make clean
        make dep
        make menuconfig
        make bzImage
        make modules
        make modules_install

        Regards,

        SK

        --
        Shakthi Kannan, MS
        Software Engineer, Hexaware Technologies

        http://mail.yahoo.com