Reading a mailing list thread

  • suman
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2005
      Hi ,

      I want to read a very long mailing list thread in a mailing list.
      But doing this on the web is very difficult since the thread has more
      than 100 messages and given the technical nature of the thread i am
      loosing track of what they are telling most of the time while moving
      back and forth and even firefox's tabs prove less useful. I find myself
      in similar situations many times.

      So, is there way to read these threads offline?
      It would be great if i can have an interface similar to google groups
      for reading threads.

      Is there any software(on linux preferably) which i when given a tar ball
      of the archive can render it as google groups does? Or if i point to the
      thread as a html, can it download all the messages and show it as a
      single page?

      Also, is there a way i can configure google groups to get all
      messages(both new and old) from a mailing list?

      Thanks for your time.

      -Suman
    • Binand Sethumadhavan
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2005
        On 01/07/05, suman <mansu@...> wrote:
        > Is there any software(on linux preferably) which i when given a tar ball
        > of the archive can render it as google groups does?

        Mutt (http://www.mutt.org) has been doing threaded mail display for ages.

        Binand
      • Y Giridhar Appaji Nag
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 1, 2005
          On 05/07/01 13:20 +0530, suman said ...

          > So, is there way to read these threads offline? It would be great if
          > i can have an interface similar to google groups for reading threads.

          You should download the mails in the thread in mbox format (many mailing
          list archives do provide that facility) and read them offline.

          > Is there any software(on linux preferably) which i when given a tar
          > ball of the archive can render it as google groups does? Or if i point
          > to the thread as a html, can it download all the messages and show it
          > as a single page?

          I like the threaded display of gmane more than that of google groups.
          The threads are displayed in a top frame (with the name of the poster as
          well as the subject and the thread hierarchy, see for example -
          http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.devel.release/6597 - nice).
          I've not used the gmane *software* - http://gmane.org/dist.php - by
          installing it myself, so don't take my word for it, but it *seems* to be
          doing what you want.

          > Also, is there a way i can configure google groups to get all
          > messages(both new and old) from a mailing list?

          There is a perl script called yahoo2mbox which does this for for yahoo
          groups. Maybe you would like to hack it to work for google groups?

          Giridhar

          --
          Y Giridhar Appaji Nag | http://www.appaji.net/
        • Y Giridhar Appaji Nag
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 1, 2005
            On 05/07/01 14:33 +0530, Y Giridhar Appaji Nag said ...
            > On 05/07/01 13:20 +0530, suman said ...
            > >
            > > to the thread as a html, can it download all the messages and show it
            > > as a single page?
            >
            > installing it myself, so don't take my word for it, but it *seems* to be
            > doing what you want.

            ... or not exactly. Since you want the whole thread to be displayed on
            a single page :-)

            There is a blog format for gmane where followup messages are comments to
            the first message. That'll satisfy your single page criterion.

            Giridhar

            --
            Y Giridhar Appaji Nag | http://www.appaji.net/