how to create a bootable floppy disk in linux

  • hrudayanadh
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 3, 2005
      my problem is--- i have running linux and win xp on two different
      partitions,now i have problems with xp i want to reinstall it
      if this happens my MBR is getting altered by windows
      thereby i am unable to boot into linux even though it is safe in
      the other partition,
      so plz help
      1 how to create a floppy with all boot info in linux
      2 after i create how should i use it to configure grub
      or lilo after installing windows (ie after my MBR got
      altered)

      thanx
    • abhijeet mhatre
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 4, 2005
        HI
        It's always better to install linux after you install
        windows.

        IF windows does rewrite the MBR you can boot using the
        linux installation disk and reisntall MBR.

        you can do grub_install or you can upgrade your linux
        distro. The upgradation process witll write the MBR.

        regards
        Abhijeet

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 4, 2005
          On Saturday 04 June 2005 12:13, hrudayanadh wrote:
          > my problem is--- i have running linux and win xp on two different
          > partitions,now i have problems with xp i want to reinstall it
          > if this happens my MBR is getting altered by windows
          > thereby i am unable to boot into linux even though it is safe in
          > the other partition,
          > so plz help
          > 1 how to create a floppy with all boot info in linux
          > 2 after i create how should i use it to configure grub
          > or lilo after installing windows (ie after my MBR got
          > altered)

          Check the mailing list archives for a complete solution.This issue has been
          discussed umpteen times.

          Also, google for 'how to restore GRUB' . If you still can't do it, get back to
          the list.

          Raghu.
        • raghu
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 4, 2005
            On Saturday 04 June 2005 12:13, hrudayanadh wrote:
            > my problem is--- i have running linux and win xp on two different
            > partitions,now i have problems with xp i want to reinstall it
            > if this happens my MBR is getting altered by windows
            > thereby i am unable to boot into linux even though it is safe in
            > the other partition,
            > so plz help
            > 1 how to create a floppy with all boot info in linux
            > 2 after i create how should i use it to configure grub
            > or lilo after installing windows (ie after my MBR got
            > altered)

            Check the mailing list archives for a complete solution.This issue has been
            discussed umpteen times.

            Also, google for 'how to restore GRUB' . If you still can't do it, get back to
            the list.

            Raghu.
          • Siddharth Mody
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 4, 2005
              1. boot from any linux liveCD (knoppix, etc)
              2. mount your partition with:
              # mkdir /mnt/myLinux
              # mount /dev/hdaX /mnt/myLinux [X =
              root_partition]
              3. chroot:
              # chroot /mnt/myLinux /bin/bash
              4. enter grub config environment:
              # grub
              > root (hd0,0)
              > setup (hd0)
              > quit
              5. configure gurb.conf:
              # emacs /boot/grub/grub.conf
              default 0
              timeout 30

              title=myLinux
              root (hd0,0)
              kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda3

              title=Windows XP
              rootnoverify (hd0,5)
              makeactive
              chainloader +1
              (change hd partitions as requred)
              6. exit chroot: #exit
              7. unmount:
              # umount /mnt/myLinux
              8. #reboot
              9. reset bios to boot from hdX.

              --- hrudayanadh <hrudayanadh@...> wrote:

              ---------------------------------
              my problem is--- i have running linux and win xp on
              two different
              partitions,now i have problems with xp i want to
              reinstall it
              if this happens my MBR is getting altered by
              windows
              thereby i am unable to boot into linux even though
              it is safe in
              the other partition,
              so plz help
              1 how to create a floppy with all boot
              info in linux
              2 after i create how should i use it to
              configure grub
              or lilo after installing windows (ie
              after my MBR got
              altered)

              thanx

              Terms of Service.

            • Chris
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 4, 2005
                --- In ilughyd@yahoogroups.com, "hrudayanadh" <hrudayanadh@y...> wrote:

                > partitions,now i have problems with xp i want to reinstall it
                > if this happens my MBR is getting altered by windows

                If you only want to re-install XP, then you might want to backup the
                mbr and restore it after installing XP. There are several utilities
                available for this. The last time I did a backup/restore of mbr was
                in the MSDOS days and I am not sure if it works well with ntfs. check
                out http://www.uneraser.com/quest9.htm

                C. Vasanth
              • Sai Kiran
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 5, 2005
                  hi

                  if your problem is just about getting your linux distro back with grub
                  then follow the following steps,

                  1. boot using the rescue cd ( generally the first cd).
                  2. grub-install (hd0)
                  this will install grub in the mbr of the hdd connected to primary master.
                  3. after this u can create the grub.conf file in the /boot/grub
                  directory to reflect the structure of the os system. i am attaching
                  sample.

                  the above steps should be sufficient to restore grub.

                  On 6/4/05, hrudayanadh <hrudayanadh@...> wrote:
                  > my problem is--- i have running linux and win xp on two different
                  > partitions,now i have problems with xp i want to reinstall it
                  > if this happens my MBR is getting altered by windows
                  > thereby i am unable to boot into linux even though it is safe in
                  > the other partition,
                  > so plz help
                  > 1 how to create a floppy with all boot info in linux
                  > 2 after i create how should i use it to configure grub
                  > or lilo after installing windows (ie after my MBR got
                  > altered)
                  >
                  > thanx

                • Suresh Babu
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 6, 2005
                    hi all,
                    i have installed linux server in one system. in the nodes win XP is there.
                    my aim is to get GUI in nodes. i will explain, you know ,using telnet we can connect to linux server from any node, but it will support only character mode, but instead of character mode i want get GUI in nodes as well. i want to use this for training purpose, u no, it is difficult to install linux in all systems.
                    i hope u got my requirement. please help me

                    with regards,
                    suresh

                  • Phani Kumar Arava
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 6, 2005
                      U can either use VNC or X-win32 where they use SSh forwarding for displaying X.

                      On 6/6/05, Suresh Babu <mpsureshl@...> wrote:
                      > hi all,
                      > i have installed linux server in one system. in the nodes win XP is there.
                      > my aim is to get GUI in nodes. i will explain, you know ,using telnet we can connect to linux server from any node, but it will support only character mode, but instead of character mode i want get GUI in nodes as well. i want to use this for training purpose, u no, it is difficult to install linux in all systems.
                      > i hope u got my requirement. please help me
                      >
                      > with regards,
                      > suresh

                      Phani Kumar Arava
                      Grad Student 1560 Worthington Street
                      Department Of Computer Science Columbus Ohio 43201
                      2015 Neil Avenue
                      Ohio State University
                      Columbus Ohio-43210

                      Contact: (614)-316-8198