Re: [TwinCLinG] Problem : I am not able to TELNET after the basic procedures

  • Janardhan Prabhakara
    Message 1 of 12 , May 5, 2005
      Hi Mat,

      Make sure that the telnet deamon is running on your linux machine... On Linux9, it runs via
      xinetd. The simplest way to check this out is to go System Settings -> Server Settings ->
      Services. Alternatively, you could run /usr/bin/serviceconf (you would need root access for this
      of course). You should see a "telnet" in the current runlevel. Check if the check box is
      checked... Else, check it and restart the xinetd service.

      If you do not see the telnet service, it means that you have not installed it. Get the rpm for it
      and install it (It should be something like: telnet-server-0.17-26.rpm, you can search for this
      :)).

      So much for telnet, but as Mr. Binand says, the better choice is ssh... For using ssh, you must
      set up the sshd (ssh deamon) in a similar way as above... The rpm for ssh should be somethng like
      openssh-server-3.6.1p2-18.rpm. This sshd is an independent service and it does not run under
      xinetd. So you just have to start it after you have installed it. (you would need an ssh client
      for windows though... like putty or Tunnelier (http://www.bitvise.com/download-area.html) This is
      my personal fav)

      -Janardhan

      --- mat <mathaicollins@...> wrote:
      > Hai,
      >
      > I am not verymuch familiar with SSH. Can you just briefly expalin
      > about SSH and how to configure it? Can you tell what is the problem
      > with Telnet configuration?
      >
      > Mathew
      >
      > --- In ilughyd@yahoogroups.com, Binand Sethumadhavan <binand@g...>
      > wrote:
      > > On 04/05/05, mat <mathaicollins@y...> wrote:
      > > > Hai friends,
      > > >
      > > > I am facing one problem.
      > > >
      > > > I am not able to Telnet from one Windows2000 system to Linux9 Box.
      > >
      > > Any reason why you are not using SSH?
      > >
      > > Binand

      - Janardhan Deepak Prabhakara

    • mat
      Message 2 of 12 , May 5, 2005
        Hai friend,

        I did this procedure also.

        I have done,

        Checked Telnet rpm

        rpm -qa telnet*

        Output :

        telnet-server-0.17-25.rpm
        telnet-0.17-25.rpm
        ----------------------
        cd /etc/xinetd.d
        vi telnet
        disable no
        ------------------------
        cd /etv
        mv securetty securetty_old
        ------------------------------
        cd /etc/init.d
        xinetd restart
        ------------------------------

        Still it is not Telneting form Windows2000 Mechine to Linux9 Box

        Friends plz help me...............

        Mathew
      • Venkat S
        Message 3 of 12 , May 5, 2005
          Just type iptables -F or ipchains -F at the shell to flush all the
          firewall rules and then try

          On 5/5/05, mat <mathaicollins@...> wrote:
          > Hai friend,
          >
          > I did this procedure also.
          >
          > I have done,
          >
          > Checked Telnet rpm
          >
          > rpm -qa telnet*
          >
          > Output :
          >
          > telnet-server-0.17-25.rpm
          > telnet-0.17-25.rpm
          > ----------------------
          > cd /etc/xinetd.d
          > vi telnet
          > disable no
          > ------------------------
          > cd /etv
          > mv securetty securetty_old
          > ------------------------------
          > cd /etc/init.d
          > xinetd restart
          > ------------------------------
          >
          > Still it is not Telneting form Windows2000 Mechine to Linux9 Box
          >
          > Friends plz help me...............
          >
          > Mathew

        • Yasaswi Srinivas
          Message 4 of 12 , May 5, 2005
            From: "Venkat S" <techprotocol@...>
            To: ilughyd@yahoogroups.com
            Subject: Re: [TwinCLinG] Still Problem : I am not able to TELNET after the basic procedures
            Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 22:30:37 +0530

            > Just type iptables -F or ipchains -F at the shell to flush all the
            > firewall rules and then try
            >

            > On 5/5/05, mat <mathaicollins@...> wrote:
            > > Hai friend,
            > >
            > > I did this procedure also.
            > >
            > > I have done,
            > >
            > > Checked Telnet rpm
            > >
            > > rpm -qa telnet*
            > >
            > > Output :
            > >
            > > telnet-server-0.17-25.rpm
            > > telnet-0.17-25.rpm
            > > ----------------------
            > > cd /etc/xinetd.d
            > > vi telnet
            > > disable no
            > > ------------------------
            > > cd /etv
            > > mv securetty securetty_old
            > > ------------------------------
            > > cd /etc/init.d
            > > xinetd restart
            > > ------------------------------
            > >
            > > Still it is not Telneting form Windows2000 Mechine to Linux9 Box

            Tell me one thing is the " Telnet Service " started on the Windows 2000 System that you are using ? Because some times the Telnet Service is diabled in Windows 2000 ( See in Services of Administrative Tools of Windows 2000 ).

            See if it is set to Automatic or Manual or Diabled ? If its automatic and started , then fine . Else if it is MANUAL then start the process and then try telnetting to the Linux Server , If it is Diabled then " enable it " ( Provided you have Administrative Privileges ) and start the process . This must be the problem , just give it a shot !! May be...it will work . There is no risk in this procedure .

            Yasaswi Srinivas .,

            http://datingsearch.lycos.com
          • Hitesh Sarda
            Message 5 of 12 , May 5, 2005
              From what I understand, mat wants to telnet from a Win2k box to a Linux box.
              for this the telnet service which is the server component need not be
              running on Win2k, just the client is needed. But you made a good point,
              please check that telnet is not disabled on linux box. Get a client like
              putty and try, also try to use SSH through putty, it might just work.

              Hitesh

              Message 6 of 12 , May 5, 2005
                Hai friends,
                According to Yasaswi Srinivas advice
                I restarted Telnet Services in (Control Pannel-> Services)

                Also due to the advice from Venkat S advice,
                I excuted "iptables -F."

                Finally it worked. Thanks friends for you support.

                But "ipchains -F" is giving some errror like...
                "ipcahins: Incompatiable with thsi kernel".
                Can any friends can explain what is this error?

                Mathew

                --- In ilughyd@yahoogroups.com, Venkat S <techprotocol@g...> wrote:
                > Just type iptables -F or ipchains -F at the shell to flush all the
                > firewall rules and then try
                >

                > On 5/5/05, mat <mathaicollins@y...> wrote:
                > > Hai friend,
                > >
                > > I did this procedure also.
                > >
                > > I have done,
                > >
                > > Checked Telnet rpm
                > >
                > > rpm -qa telnet*
                > >
                > > Output :
                > >
                > > telnet-server-0.17-25.rpm
                > > telnet-0.17-25.rpm
                > > ----------------------
                > > cd /etc/xinetd.d
                > > vi telnet
                > > disable no
                > > ------------------------
                > > cd /etv
                > > mv securetty securetty_old
                > > ------------------------------
                > > cd /etc/init.d
                > > xinetd restart
                > > ------------------------------
                > >
                > > Still it is not Telneting form Windows2000 Mechine to Linux9 Box
                > >
                > > Friends plz help me...............
                > >
                > > Mathew
              • mat
                Message 7 of 12 , May 5, 2005
                  Hai,

                  What is meant by this putty and SSH?
                  How to configure this? Is SSH means Secured Shell? What is the
                  advantage?

                  Mathew

                  --- In ilughyd@yahoogroups.com, Hitesh Sarda <bronze@g...> wrote:
                  > From what I understand, mat wants to telnet from a Win2k box to a
                  Linux box.
                  > for this the telnet service which is the server component need not
                  be
                  > running on Win2k, just the client is needed. But you made a good
                  point,
                  > please check that telnet is not disabled on linux box. Get a client
                  like
                  > putty and try, also try to use SSH through putty, it might just
                  work.

                  > Hitesh
                • yraghuveer
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 5, 2005