Minutes of the meet [April 2005]

  • yraghuveer
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2005
      Hi Luggers

      Welcome to yet another meet update.

      The meet this month started of with the customary introduction,we even
      had Arjun Mukherjee[Virtusa] join us after a long time.

      On behalf of ILUGHYD i welcome all the newbies/new members.

      The 'Ken Thompson'room was full and we had people standing ;),nice to
      see that more and more hyderabadies into opensource,we even had a
      bunch of MAC guys and also from FSF Hyderabad!!! hey do i see a new
      trend? ;)

      This months talk was by Premshree from Yahoo! bangalore on RUBY!

      He started off with the basic's of Ruby along with a brief history of
      ruby [created/developed by Yukihiro Matsumoto ("Matz")],then went
      ahead with some coding to show how simple yet powerfull Ruby is.The
      obvious comparisions with Python and Perl was also there. ;)

      Then we had the usual chai-pani break.

      The next session was 'Ruby on rails' which is a web framework for
      Ruby.In this session Premshree coded a small grid appication DB being
      MYSql in 8 minutes flat [clocked] to demonstrate the power of
      Ruby,which had the audience spellbound,if this isnt awesome then i
      dont know what is!!!,we had the audience baying for more but it was
      already past 21:30 and we had to wind up for the day.For those who
      dont know he is guy who has written the Ruby API for Yahoo! Search Web
      Services.

      After the meet Premshree delivered yet another yorker.He gifted the
      audience with Tee-shirts's pens and Ubuntu cd's from Yahoo!!!

      THE MEET ROCKED!!!!

      Lets RUBY,do i see Ruby coders in the making in Hyd??.

      On behalf of ILUGHYD i thank Premshree for comming exclusively to
      Hyderabad to give the talk.

      On behalf of ILUGHYD i thank Mr.Arjun Mukherjee and Mr.Ramakrishna for
      providing us with a such a decent venu.

      regards

      Raghuveer Y

      yraghuveer at yahoo dot com
    • Herald
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2005
        --- In ilughyd@yahoogroups.com, "yraghuveer" <yraghuveer@y...> wrote:
        > Hi Luggers
        >
        > Welcome to yet another meet update.
        >
        > The meet this month started of with the customary introduction,we
        even
        > had Arjun Mukherjee[Virtusa] join us after a long time.
        >
        > On behalf of ILUGHYD i welcome all the newbies/new members.
        >
        > The 'Ken Thompson'room was full and we had people standing ;),nice
        > see that more and more hyderabadies into opensource,we even had a
        > bunch of MAC guys and also from FSF Hyderabad!!! hey do i see a new
        > trend? ;)
        >
        > This months talk was by Premshree from Yahoo! bangalore on RUBY!
        >
        > He started off with the basic's of Ruby along with a brief history
        of
        > ruby [created/developed by Yukihiro Matsumoto ("Matz")],then went
        > ahead with some coding to show how simple yet powerfull Ruby is.The
        > obvious comparisions with Python and Perl was also there. ;)
        >
        > Then we had the usual chai-pani break.

        The talk was good. But there were lot of comparisons and doubts which
        could have been minimized. It was around 3 hours session for ruby.

        The content could have been delivered in 1 hour. More than 50 per cent
        of the time there was deviation from the core topic ruby. There was
        more of Java, perl, python comparison than realy ruby. It is not the
        falt of the presenter.

        I feel it is best to keep the comments, doubts etc to the end or to
        the mailing list rather than during the talk. It would be very good if
        the doubts are jotted down and passed to the presenter at the end of
        the talk.

        And about the ppt slides: The fonts of code need to be bigger and bold
        . Most people make a mistake at this point. All the slides will be
        good, the code will be ultra small for anybody to read .

        Cheers
        Herald D'Sa.
      • Binand Sethumadhavan
        Message 3 of 5 , May 1, 2005
          On 01/05/05, Herald <jj3kk@...> wrote:
          > And about the ppt slides: The fonts of code need to be bigger and bold
          > . Most people make a mistake at this point. All the slides will be
          > good, the code will be ultra small for anybody to read .

          Was it really PowerPoint?

          Binand
        • suman
          Message 4 of 5 , May 1, 2005
            Hi,

            >The talk was good. But there were lot of comparisons and doubts which
            >could have been minimized. It was around 3 hours session for ruby.

            Being the moderator the session and one of the guys who stopped the
            presentation often i would take this as a feedback. But lately this was
            one of the talks i enjoyed the most.I know it was annoying to many
            others who would have kicked me if i were not the moderator.

            >The content could have been delivered in 1 hour. More than 50 per cent
            >of the time there was deviation from the core topic ruby. There was
            >more of Java, perl, python comparison than realy ruby. It is not the
            >falt of the presenter.

            I understand that comparisions are bad but when teaching a language to a
            group of programmers that how it is . It is always a war. Also LUG is
            more of an informal session and i feel that people learn more from the
            discussion rather than the presentation (atleast thats true in my case)
            . Also if one just wants a presentation he could just open the manual
            and read it. but its people's experiences that really matter and thats
            where the quality comes in.
            IMHO,Its worthless for Premshree to come here to give that presentation
            had there been no discussions.

            But you are right, quality can be achieved in a more organised way.

            >I feel it is best to keep the comments, doubts etc to the end or to
            >the mailing list rather than during the talk. It would be very good if
            >the doubts are jotted down and passed to the presenter at the end of
            >the talk.

            Thats a nice suggestion but i havent seen it working for me. But a bit
            of dicsussion is always welcome as to how it should be in future meets.
            I will abide by it and ensure that everyone does.

            >And about the ppt slides: The fonts of code need to be bigger and bold
            >. Most people make a mistake at this point. All the slides will be
            >good, the code will be ultra small for anybody to read .

            This is the point that should be raised at a point when the code is too
            small to read by anyone

            Thanks,
            -Suman
          • suman
            Message 5 of 5 , May 1, 2005
              Binand Sethumadhavan wrote:

              >On 01/05/05, Herald <jj3kk@...> wrote:
              >

              >>And about the ppt slides: The fonts of code need to be bigger and bold
              >>. Most people make a mistake at this point. All the slides will be
              >>good, the code will be ultra small for anybody to read .
              >>

              >Was it really PowerPoint?

              Yes, i am making it OO only but this time since premshree was an
              exception, we gave him an exception:)

              -Suman