Re: [TwinCLinG] how to make a drive common to windows and linux

  • pramod
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 30, 2005
      hai vikram kumar,
      I have done all that and it is not getting updated and
      prompting the message cannot start Xserver.

      bye
      pramod

      --- Vikram Kumar <vikram.cvk@...> wrote:

      >And my screen resolution is 800X600 which is not
      good,
      in that it is not showing any other options to change
      the resolution.Any suggestion how to change it.

      Regarding the above prob run $system-config-display ,
      this command invokes a
      utility to configure your display/vga card etc.

      Chao,
      Vikram.

      Blog : http://geekblabber.blogspot.com/index.html
      Homepage: http://www.cpnagro.com/vikram.html

      "Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried
      anything new !!! "
      --Albert Einstein

      On 4/30/05, pramod <gphyd@...> wrote:

      > Hi friends,
      > I want to know how to make a drive common to both
      > windows platform and windows platform.
      >
      > And my screen resolution is 800X600 which is not
      good,
      > in that it is not showing any other options to
      change
      > the resolution.Any suggestion how to change it.
      >
      > Bye

      > Yahoo! India Matrimony: Find your life partner
      online
      > Go to: http://yahoo.shaadi.com/india-matrimony

      > - Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
      Yahoo! Terms of

      Terms of Service.

    • Nikhil Mulley
      Message 2 of 11 , May 1, 2005
        If you are unable to start XServer check the free space that is available on
        /root and /home, you might do this just with df (or df -h)
        and check if the xfs service is on or else make xfs on in the runlevel you
        want by using chkconfig xfs on and (re)start xfs service and then start the
        xserver.
        do not start with startx if you are still facing problems, boot into
        runlevel 3 and then issue command init 5, if you see anything GUI to change
        the screen resolution then it might be ok. if all is not well going then
        there is some problem with your V Card.

        On 4/30/05, pramod <gphyd@...> wrote:

        > hai vikram kumar,
        > I have done all that and it is not getting updated and
        > prompting the message cannot start Xserver.
        >
        > bye
        > pramod
        >

        > --- Vikram Kumar <vikram.cvk@...> wrote:
        > ---------------------------------
        > Hi,
        >
        > >And my screen resolution is 800X600 which is not
        > good,
        > in that it is not showing any other options to change
        > the resolution.Any suggestion how to change it.
        >
        > Regarding the above prob run $system-config-display ,
        > this command invokes a
        > utility to configure your display/vga card etc.
        >
        > Chao,
        > Vikram.
        >

        > Blog : http://geekblabber.blogspot.com/index.html
        > Homepage: http://www.cpnagro.com/vikram.html
        >
        > "Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried
        > anything new !!! "
        > --Albert Einstein
        >
        > On 4/30/05, pramod <gphyd@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi friends,
        > > I want to know how to make a drive common to both
        > > windows platform and windows platform.
        > >
        > > And my screen resolution is 800X600 which is not
        > good,
        > > in that it is not showing any other options to
        > change
        > > the resolution.Any suggestion how to change it.
        > >
        > > Bye

        > > Yahoo! India Matrimony: Find your life partner
        > online
        > > Go to: http://yahoo.shaadi.com/india-matrimony

        > > - Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
        > Yahoo! Terms of

        > Terms of Service.

        > Yahoo! India Matrimony: Find your life partner online
        > Go to: http://yahoo.shaadi.com/india-matrimony

        Nikhil

        Google is Great !

      • janardhan prabhakara
        Message 3 of 11 , May 2, 2005
          Hi Pramod,

          Q: Do you have an AGP card or are do you have on-board
          graphics support?

          I just have on-borad graphics support on a Dell
          OptiPlex 160L Series and the following works for me:)
          :

          Get into BIOS and check what your video buffer size...
          (By default it was 1MB and i could not get a
          resolution higer than 800X600, but when i hiked it up
          to 8MB, i got the max resolution supported by my
          monitor). If your hardware supports a higer value for
          this, set it to the max. Then run
          $system-config-display as suggested by Vikram and set
          the resolution to say 1024X768 and try.

          -Janardhan

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • raghuram
          Message 4 of 11 , May 2, 2005
            pramod wrote:
            > And my screen resolution is 800X600 which is not good,
            > in that it is not showing any other options to change
            > the resolution.Any suggestion how to change it.

            Here is a quick and dirty hack:

            If your machine is a relatively newer one, set the video memory buffer
            in the BIOS to 8MB.Start X.

            If X barfs , add 1024X768 option in the relevant portion of Xorg.conf
            and then try to start X.This hack worked for me on my I810 Celeron machine.

            Raghu.
          • Yasaswi Srinivas
            Message 5 of 11 , May 2, 2005
              > > And my screen resolution is 800X600 which is not good,
              > > in that it is not showing any other options to change
              > > the resolution.Any suggestion how to change it.
              >
              > Here is a quick and dirty hack:
              >
              > If your machine is a relatively newer one, set the video memory buffer
              > in the BIOS to 8MB.Start X.

              Raghu

              I have a doubt here , I can never enter the actual BIOS settings of my PC , Its a COMPAQ PRESARIO 5000 Series ( With Intel i810 Motherboard ) , How does one do this hack ? At the maximum I can set very normal values in BIOS , but nothing beyond it .

              > If X barfs , add 1024X768 option in the relevant portion of Xorg.conf
              > and then try to start X.This hack worked for me on my I810 Celeron machine.

              But by setting the Video Ram Buffer Size to 8 MB from one , won't there be any risk of the Motherboard getting spoilt ?

              Regards

              Yasaswi Srinivas M.,

              http://datingsearch.lycos.com
              Message 6 of 11 , May 2, 2005
                raghuram [03/05/05 11:55 +0530]:
                >The newer Intel 845GLX boards have a video buffer size option in the
                >BIOS that defaults to factory settings of 2MB.Setting this to 8MB gives
                >hogher resolutions.How to do it differs from machine to machine! The
                >branded boxes come with some BIOS tweaking utility that enables one to
                >change values in the BIOS on the fly.Not too sure of this one though
                >since I have seen this facility in very few boxes.

                http://perso.wanadoo.fr/apoirier/ - 855resolution
              • raghuram
                Message 7 of 11 , May 2, 2005
                  > I have a doubt here , I can never enter the actual BIOS settings of my PC , Its a COMPAQ PRESARIO 5000 Series ( With Intel i810 Motherboard ) , How does one do this hack ? At the maximum I can set very normal values in BIOS , but nothing beyond it .

                  The newer Intel 845GLX boards have a video buffer size option in the
                  BIOS that defaults to factory settings of 2MB.Setting this to 8MB gives
                  hogher resolutions.How to do it differs from machine to machine! The
                  branded boxes come with some BIOS tweaking utility that enables one to
                  change values in the BIOS on the fly.Not too sure of this one though
                  since I have seen this facility in very few boxes.

                  YMMV.

                  > But by setting the Video Ram Buffer Size to 8 MB from one , won't there be any risk of the Motherboard getting spoilt ?

                  Nope.The motherboard just allocates extra memory from the installed RAM.

                  For example: I have an ASUS board with onboard NVidia graphics
                  chip.Currently the video memory is set to 32MB (4 * 8x factor).I ,of
                  course, have the option in the BIOS to lower this value.Doing so under
                  FC3 caused X to default to 800 res.

                  X is kinda strange since my RH 7.0 days.Many a time, it would crap out
                  for reasons which were too mysterious for me in those days when I was
                  new to Linux.

                  Raghu.