Connecting 2 systems

  • Jitendra Singh
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 26, 2005
      Hi all,
      I have a windows(xp) desktop and a dual boot desktop (xp and fedora core2). Can anyone please guide me what is the best way to connect these 2 machines. I have lan card in both. I got a cross wire cable, but i can't ping across. I want to copy some files.

      If someone has done it please give me step-by-step process, specifying the IP address configuration etc.

      Thanks,
      Jitendra

    • P.SashiKanth
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 26, 2005
        Hi!

        I am having a Dell Inspiron 600 Laptop with WinXP Home. I have a Western
        Digital 120 GB External Hard Disk Drive.

        I tried to install Fedora Core 3 on the External HDD, but the installation
        did not detect the HDD. It is showing only the Internal HDD as hda.

        Could anyone help me out in installing Linux on the External HDD?

        Also, which Linux dist is good for personal use?

        Please Reply.

        Thank You

        SashiKanth

      • phanimithra
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 26, 2005
          Jitendra Singh wrote:

          >Hi all,
          > I have a windows(xp) desktop and a dual boot desktop (xp and fedora core2). Can anyone please guide me what is the best way to connect these 2 machines. I have lan card in both. I got a cross wire cable, but i can't ping across. I want to copy some files.
          >
          > If someone has done it please give me step-by-step process, specifying the IP address configuration etc.
          >
          >Thanks,
          >Jitendra

          hi jitendra,
          as i can see, u r trying to connect ur systems with a straight
          crimped, i.e.. rx to rx and tx to tx RJ-45 link, which is supposed to be
          given to a hub or some network dev. when u want to connect two PCs
          directly u must have a new cross connecting cable made with the Tx to Rx
          and Rx to Tx crimped. u can get it done at any network hardware admin.
          or at some assorted stores in Gujarathi Galli, Bank street , koti, Hyd.

          the network configuration is very simple, u can configure ur systems to
          different IPs and then connect them. u can configure ur IP in unix by
          running 'setup' program.

          by the way , if the purpose is just to connect the PCs by just any
          link, the com ports are always ready... u can purchase a com1 - com1 or
          com1 - com2 connecter and start a communication. for binary transfer of
          files from linux u might need to write a C code which drives the data
          through a port, and establish some authentication, acknowledge server
          and client programs on both systems.

          u can also connect two systesms with a set of dialup models with the
          telephone cable connected directly. this is just another dialup link.

          well last of all is a fast Infrared link. this one also works pretty
          decent except for a very low speed.....indeed bluetooth links are latest
          and hifunda... i use the same to transfer data from my mobile(6600) to
          my machine and viceversa.....

          indeed i've tried all of them and they worked fine...

          i feel the network card link is the cleanest ,cheapest and easiest as
          the data transfer is in the form of PDUs, and all types of
          authentication and data encryptions are taken care of.

          do mail back in case of any problems

          bye

          --------------------
          PHANIMITHRA.G
          Design Engineer
          REDPINE SIGNALS inc.
          Sagar Sociey, 87,88
          Banjara Hills, Hyd.
          --------------------
        • Saifi Khan
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 27, 2005
            On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 12:26:16 +0530, P.SashiKanth
            <psashikanth@...> wrote:

            > Hi!
            >
            > I am having a Dell Inspiron 600 Laptop with WinXP Home. I have a Western
            > Digital 120 GB External Hard Disk Drive.
            >
            > I tried to install Fedora Core 3 on the External HDD, but the installation
            > did not detect the HDD. It is showing only the Internal HDD as hda.
            >
            > Could anyone help me out in installing Linux on the External HDD?
            >
            > Also, which Linux dist is good for personal use?
            >
            > Please Reply.
            >
            > Thank You
            >
            > SashiKanth

            Hi SashiKanth:

            Please take a look at http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/dell.html

            Choice of distro ? What do you intend to do on your laptop ?

            --
            thanks
            Saifi Khan.
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 27, 2005
              I checked the site but I could not find any mention of external HDD.

              I am planning to use the laptop for regular use: programming & browsing.
              The basic reason for using the External drive is that I have only 5GB of
              free space of the total 30GB.
              I got a copy each of Fedora Core 3, Ubuntu, Gentoo and Debian. I just wanted
              to know which one is better.

              Thanks & Regards,
              SashiKanth

              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 27, 2005
                thanks for your reply.

                I have a cross-over cable, got it made in ameerpet. I have been trying the way us suggested. but not successful. I went through a lot of mailing lists to figure out. Some of them suggested having a internet hub to connect will be simplest. What do u say about this approach.

                thanks,
                Jitendra

                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 27, 2005
                  On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 15:28:22 +0530, P.SashiKanth
                  <psashikanth@...> wrote:

                  > I checked the site but I could not find any mention of external HDD.

                  The external HDD is connected to your laptop over USB interface ?
                  If yes, then the installer will not detect anything until it has activated the
                  USB ports and loaded the required drivers.

                  Let me pose a practical question, 'assuming' you have linux installed on your
                  external HDD.

                  Are you going to carry the HDD around with your Linux and whenever you are
                  going to use your laptop, you are going to plug in the device and boot it ?

                  Logically, the data should reside on the external HDD, so that the data is
                  accessible from the current host machine.

                  If you are really hard pressed for time, try this approach.

                  If not, then a 'free' lunch is waiting for you : "tinker with the
                  installer code".

                  > I am planning to use the laptop for regular use: programming & browsing.

                  All of the distros ship with gcc compiler, libc headers and mozilla browser.

                  > I got a copy each of Fedora Core 3, Ubuntu, Gentoo and Debian. I just wanted
                  > to know which one is better.

                  Each has a different personality because each has a different idea and mindset
                  about what a system should be, should looklike and what its interface should be.

                  The best way to discover "your better" as against "anybody else's better" is to
                  try them out one by one and go about your tasks. Your own experience and
                  appreciation will constitute the best answer to that question.

                  --
                  thanks
                  Saifi Khan.
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 27, 2005
                    The external HDD is connected over USB interface.

                    I used linux on my home PC sometime back but I am not using Linux at
                    present.

                    The reason I wanted to install linux on external hdd is I did not mess
                    around with my present files.

                    As of now I want to use the Linux system only from home. So the question of
                    moving around doesn't come into picture.

                    I just wanted to check out if I can install linux on an external hdd. This
                    is purely for testing the possibility.

                    There is a lot of data that needs to be sorted out and then bakup would take
                    some time.

                    But, as you said, installing the distros would be the best option. And I
                    will do that. But in general perspective, which distro detects most of the
                    hardware.

                    Thanks & Regards,

                    SashiKanth

                    Live life LIVE!

                    <psashikanth@...> wrote:

                    > I checked the site but I could not find any mention of external HDD.

                    The external HDD is connected to your laptop over USB interface ?
                    If yes, then the installer will not detect anything until it has activated
                    the
                    USB ports and loaded the required drivers.

                    Let me pose a practical question, 'assuming' you have linux installed on
                    your
                    external HDD.

                    Are you going to carry the HDD around with your Linux and whenever you are
                    going to use your laptop, you are going to plug in the device and boot it ?

                    Logically, the data should reside on the external HDD, so that the data is
                    accessible from the current host machine.

                    If you are really hard pressed for time, try this approach.

                    If not, then a 'free' lunch is waiting for you : "tinker with the
                    installer code".

                    > I am planning to use the laptop for regular use: programming & browsing.

                    All of the distros ship with gcc compiler, libc headers and mozilla browser.

                    > I got a copy each of Fedora Core 3, Ubuntu, Gentoo and Debian. I just
                    wanted
                    > to know which one is better.

                    Each has a different personality because each has a different idea and
                    mindset
                    about what a system should be, should looklike and what its interface should
                    be.

                    The best way to discover "your better" as against "anybody else's better" is
                    try them out one by one and go about your tasks. Your own experience and
                    appreciation will constitute the best answer to that question.

                    --
                    thanks
                    Saifi Khan.

                    Next Meeting as on our Website: http://ilug-hyd.org.in

                  • Joe Steeve
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 27, 2005
                      "Jitendra Singh" <jits_1998@...> writes:
                      > trying the way us suggested. but not successful. I went through
                      > a lot of mailing lists to figure out. Some of them suggested
                      > having a internet hub to connect will be simplest. What do u say

                      Set one of your IPs as 10.0.0.1, the other as 10.0.0.2. Set their
                      `subnet masks` as 255.255.255.0. Then ifup on both sides., ping
                      them. If they dont work., check your iptables config and your
                      cross over cable.

                      --
                      .O. A proud GNU user
                      ..O http://www.joesteeve.tk/

                    • Saifi Khan
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 28, 2005
                        On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 19:19:27 +0530, P.SashiKanth
                        <psashikanth@...> wrote:

                        > The external HDD is connected over USB interface.
                        >
                        > I used linux on my home PC sometime back but I am not using Linux at
                        > present.
                        >
                        > The reason I wanted to install linux on external hdd is I did not mess
                        > around with my present files.

                        You need to tinker with the installer code to probe the USB port and
                        then load the drivers.

                        > I just wanted to check out if I can install linux on an external hdd. This
                        > is purely for testing the possibility.

                        Sure, its possible.

                        > There is a lot of data that needs to be sorted out and then bakup would take
                        > some time.

                        Haven't seen anybody being able to sort the data.
                        Burn it ! I mean on the CDs.

                        > But, as you said, installing the distros would be the best option. And I
                        > will do that. But in general perspective, which distro detects most of the
                        > hardware.

                        That brings us back to the original link
                        http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/dell.html

                        A visual scan will indicate the distros tried out.
                        Then depending on your interest you can dig a little deeper to see
                        what the author had to say about the particular distro.

                        --
                        thanks
                        Saifi Khan.
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 28, 2005
                          Thanks for the suggestions.
                          I will backup my data this weekend and try to install linux on the laptop
                          itself.

                          Burning the data into is the best option. But burning 20GB of data will need
                          around 30 CD's.
                          I think burning these in a DVD might help. It comes to around 4 DVD'd ;).

                          You mentioned about having Fedora Core 3 & Ubuntu. Have you installed these?
                          Did you find any difference?

                          I heard from a friend that we can use an internal hdd as an external hdd
                          using an external casing with usb support.
                          Any info about that?

                          Thanks & Regards,
                          SashiKanth

                          <psashikanth@...> wrote:

                          > The external HDD is connected over USB interface.
                          >
                          > I used linux on my home PC sometime back but I am not using Linux at
                          > present.
                          >
                          > The reason I wanted to install linux on external hdd is I did not mess
                          > around with my present files.

                          You need to tinker with the installer code to probe the USB port and
                          then load the drivers.

                          > I just wanted to check out if I can install linux on an external hdd. This
                          > is purely for testing the possibility.

                          Sure, its possible.

                          > There is a lot of data that needs to be sorted out and then bakup would
                          take
                          > some time.

                          Haven't seen anybody being able to sort the data.
                          Burn it ! I mean on the CDs.

                          > But, as you said, installing the distros would be the best option. And I
                          > will do that. But in general perspective, which distro detects most of the
                          > hardware.

                          That brings us back to the original link
                          http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/dell.html

                          A visual scan will indicate the distros tried out.
                          Then depending on your interest you can dig a little deeper to see
                          what the author had to say about the particular distro.

                          --
                          thanks
                          Saifi Khan.

                        • sreeny .
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 28, 2005
                            Wish this resolve the queries
                            http://www.simonf.com/usb/
                            Booting Linux off of a USB drive.

                            Cheers
                            Sreeny
                          • Saifi Khan
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 28, 2005
                              On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 09:03:52 +0000, sreeny . <sreeniz@...> wrote:

                              > Wish this resolve the queries
                              > http://www.simonf.com/usb/
                              > Booting Linux off of a USB drive.
                              >
                              > Cheers
                              > Sreeny

                              Hi Sreeny:

                              Simon talks about setting up most of the scripts and build modules
                              that "need" to be part of the installer code!

                              A first time installation, *still* will find it difficult to boot the
                              stuff from
                              usb storage device.

                              However, if we build some of the modules and the scripts and then
                              RE-package our typical CD1, then we are truly booting off with
                              usb device on which we actually installed!

                              The typical usecase is
                              . get the CD1 out of the case, power on the machine and put the
                              CD in the CD-ROM drive.
                              . go over one cycle with the CMOS settings to enable USB boot,
                              if the Phoenix BIOS version supports it!
                              . now the installer loads up and the user starts excercising options
                              for his/her desired configuration.
                              . The storage device is identified, partitions are created and other
                              relevant settings reviewed.
                              . Finally the packages are chosen and the installation begins.

                              As you can see the above usecase does *not* activities like
                              edit this script, compile this module, build this kernel, update
                              the RAM disk etc.

                              Sure, it *does* talk about the required steps to get there.

                              --
                              thanks
                              Saifi Khan.
                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 2 11:05 PM
                                Hello Everyone,
                                Good Morning,

                                i need a little( or big) help with linux,
                                i want to use linux on my laptop,
                                i got suse linux and in their site,i found that current version is 10.*,

                                so i want to ask anyone for below help
                                1. which Linux is good for use
                                2. can anyone get me linux cd's and help me installing it.
                                3. iam using reliance internet, they are giving me a software, can i
                                use that software for linux also?

                                hope i find a good friend help me with these issues
                                thank you all.
                              • Suman Karumuri
                                Message 15 of 16 , Aug 3 12:44 AM
                                  > so i want to ask anyone for below help
                                  > 1. which Linux is good for use
                                  suse is good if you are new to linux.
                                  > 2. can anyone get me linux cd's and help me installing it.
                                  you already have the cd's. Ask people in your area(mail the list to
                                  find who stays near to you) to help you with the installation. The
                                  best bet is a college student.

                                  > 3. iam using reliance internet, they are giving me a software, can i
                                  > use that software for linux also?
                                  softwares for windows do not work on linux. But you may try wine. If
                                  the software is for using internet, google on using reliance internet
                                  on linux. But there should be a linux version of software.

                                  -Suman
                                • Raseel Bhagat
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Aug 3 10:44 PM

                                    On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 guy_4_2005 wrote :
                                    >so i want to ask anyone for below help
                                    >1. which Linux is good for use
                                    >2. can anyone get me linux cd's

                                    Which Linux Distro to use is more of a personal choice.
                                    You will find that there is afanatical cult for every (well..almost every) Distro out there.

                                    The best thing, I have found, is to start using ANY Distro you can lay your hands on. As and when you have access to more Distros, start trying them by making your Pb a Multi-OS booting box, until finally you get either fed-up (I doubt you ever will) , or you find a Distro you REALLY REALLY like.

                                    You can get a considerable overview of Distros from :
                                    http://shots.osdir.com

                                    You can choose which Distro you want to use from :
                                    http://osd.byethost8.com/

                                    Raseel.
                                    The OpenSourceDeal : http://osd.byethost8.com/
                                    http://raseel.livejournal.com