re: explore2fs

  • Dr. Atul Negi
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 5, 2005
      Installing explore2fs on your system and letting others know
      about it is an extremely bad idea. However explore2fs doesnt
      work satisfactorily for me.

      I find that if your home directory has too many files it is of little
      use since it tells you about some windows memory illegal access or something
      like that. and you cant look/copy those files anyway.

      Another point: It is much better and more secure and reliable
      to reboot into linux mount the windows partition and copy what ever you
      wanted into that.

      I have at times lost files since explore2fs copies the file only partially
      (It was a 80 MB zip archive).

      Moral of the story: Dont ignore the warnings that explore2fs comes with
      and better not to use it at all since it leads to trouble.
      -Atul Negi

      --
      -----------
      Atul Negi

      This email was sent using UOH MAIL SERVER.
      " Confidential Information!"
      http://www.uohyd.ernet.in/
    • phanimithra
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 5, 2005
        Dr. Atul Negi wrote:

        >Installing explore2fs on your system and letting others know
        >about it is an extremely bad idea. However explore2fs doesnt
        >work satisfactorily for me.
        >
        >I find that if your home directory has too many files it is of little
        >use since it tells you about some windows memory illegal access or something
        >like that. and you cant look/copy those files anyway.
        >
        >Another point: It is much better and more secure and reliable
        >to reboot into linux mount the windows partition and copy what ever you
        >wanted into that.
        >
        >I have at times lost files since explore2fs copies the file only partially
        >(It was a 80 MB zip archive).
        >
        >Moral of the story: Dont ignore the warnings that explore2fs comes with
        >and better not to use it at all since it leads to trouble.
        >-Atul Negi
        >

        >>>a windowing environment using 'explore2fs' and read write , and (i'm not
        >>>very sure, atleast i did not try, can )also execute the linux binarys
        >>>(think small progs) using 'loadlin'. tell me if u find any solution, or
        >>>if u find any problems in the procedure.
        >>>

        >>btw, u can only access ext2 /3 partitions using explore2fs. If you are
        >>using reiser or xfs then this is not going to be of much help.
        >>
        >>-Suman

        hi,
        loadlin is much more reliable than expore2fs. and explore2fs can
        copy files back only onto a ext2 fs and not into ext3. it is always
        better to backup requisite files before experimenting with them. indeed
        to counter hostile Sys Admins loadlin come very handy. i heard it can be
        used to run grub(bootloader)-install( for that matter any small progs)
        and thus update an erased/modified MBR.

        hey i've a problem too. dont curse me for still using RH8, which has the
        kernel-2.4.18-24......ofcourse a few aeons old.....well i compiled a
        newer kernel 2.6.7 and loaded the kernel to /boot and redirected the
        vmlinuz to the newer kernel....when restarted, and having selected the
        newer kernel startup, it succesfully makes (hd0,1) as root, loads kernel
        and hangsup at loading root=/LABEL. i've tried using
        root-/LABEL=/dev/hda5 and what not... but still it says kernel panic :
        couldnot find root= boot in block(0,0)..... i had to do all these to
        enable sound in linux with 845GVSR board with ac97 codec for
        sound...i've tried loading alsa-driver,alsa-lib,alsa-utils,alsa-tools
        and what not ......but when i insmod for the dev, it says :setting the
        latency to (some vague figure) and then says 'Primary codec not ready' .
        i've got another idea in this regard, just tell me howgood it is........
        can i run some 'sniffer' in windows, that grabs the parameters of the
        working device and attribute them all to the hardware, when i switch it
        on for linux, and make it work?? that should logically work as long as
        the input encoding to the device in both linux and windows is the
        same....do help me out with any of ur previous experiences in this
        matter, or any plausible guesses to solve this/these problems

        phanimithra

        --------------------
        PHANIMITHRA.G
        Design Engineer
        REDPINE SIGNALS inc.
        Sagar Sociey, 87,88
        Banjara Hills, Hyd.
        --------------------
      • Viswanath Bandaru
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 5, 2005
          > hey i've a problem too. dont curse me for still using RH8, which has
          the
          > kernel-2.4.18-24......ofcourse a few aeons old.....well i compiled a
          > newer kernel 2.6.7 and loaded the kernel to /boot and redirected the
          > vmlinuz to the newer kernel....when restarted, and having selected the
          > newer kernel startup, it succesfully makes (hd0,1) as root, loads
          kernel
          > and hangsup at loading root=/LABEL. i've tried using
          > root-/LABEL=/dev/hda5 and what not... but still it says kernel panic :
          > couldnot find root= boot in block(0,0)..... i had to do all these to
          > enable sound in linux with 845GVSR board with ac97 codec for
          > sound...i've tried loading alsa-driver,alsa-lib,alsa-utils,alsa-tools
          > and what not ......but when i insmod for the dev, it says :setting the
          > latency to (some vague figure) and then says 'Primary codec not ready' .

          Hi,

          I read somewhere that it is not so easy to upgrade to 2.6 kernels from
          2.4 kernels. You need newer versions of so many other modules that are
          not part of the kernel. There is a kernel compiling HOWTO beta version
          (when i read a month ago) at tldp.org site that described how to
          upgrade and what new modules are required.
          I had RH9 and wanted newer kernel. Instead i switched to Fedora 3. :-)

          HTH
          Viswanath