Re: [TwinCLinG] more space required

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 7, 2000
      On 7 Jun 2000, Chinnam anuradha saw fit to inform me that:

      > I have linked my partions as
      > "ln -s /dev/hda5 /dev/hda1.link"
      >
      > but it came to prompt without giving any message. How
      > can I know whether they are linked are not.

      Do this

      # df

      -suresh

      Suresh Ramasubramanian + suresh (@) kcircle.com
      Friday@... + http://www.kcircle.com
      Nobody has ever, ever, EVER learned all of C.
    • Chinnam anuradha
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 8, 2000
        I have tried df, but I did not find any difference
        while comparing to previous df.
        --- Suresh Ramasubramanian <Suresh@...> wrote:
        > On 7 Jun 2000, Chinnam anuradha saw fit to inform me
        > that:
        >
        > > I have linked my partions as
        > > "ln -s /dev/hda5 /dev/hda1.link"
        > >
        > > but it came to prompt without giving any message.
        > How
        > > can I know whether they are linked are not.
        >
        > Do this
        >
        > # df
        >
        > -suresh
        >
        > Suresh Ramasubramanian + suresh (@) kcircle.com
        > Friday@... + http://www.kcircle.com
        > Nobody has ever, ever, EVER learned all of C.

        Yahoo! Photos -- now, 100 FREE prints!
        http://photos.yahoo.com
      • Prakash Kailasa
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 8, 2000
          Try "ls -l /dev/hda1.link"

          The output should be something like:

          0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 May 2 17:30 /dev/hda1.link ->
          /dev/hda5

          In Unix/Linux, if there is no message on the terminal, usually
          it is good (No news is good news). Some commands have the '-v' option
          which displays verbose messages on the output.

          /prakash

          --- Chinnam anuradha <anuradha_chinnam@...> wrote:
          > I have tried df, but I did not find any difference
          > while comparing to previous df.
          > --- Suresh Ramasubramanian <Suresh@...> wrote:
          > > On 7 Jun 2000, Chinnam anuradha saw fit to inform me
          > > that:
          > >
          > > > I have linked my partions as
          > > > "ln -s /dev/hda5 /dev/hda1.link"
          > > >
          > > > but it came to prompt without giving any message.
          > > How
          > > > can I know whether they are linked are not.
          > >
          > > Do this
          > >
          > > # df
          > >
          > > -suresh
          > >
          > > Suresh Ramasubramanian + suresh (@) kcircle.com
          > > Friday@... + http://www.kcircle.com
          > > Nobody has ever, ever, EVER learned all of C.

          Yahoo! Photos -- now, 100 FREE prints!
          http://photos.yahoo.com
        • Nick Hill
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 8, 2000
            On Thu, Jun 08, 2000 at 10:03:52PM -0700, Chinnam anuradha wrote:
            > Thanks,
            >
            > I have tried the command. The o/P is same what you
            > have given. Can we remove the link with out loosing
            > data at any time?
            >
            > bye,

            this is just a device file, which is used to access u're device. removing
            the device file wont make a difference, u can create it again with /dev/MAKEDEV.
            i wasn't following lately... but what exactly are u trying to do?

            Nikhil.

            > anuradha
            > > The output should be something like:
            > >
            > > 0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 May 2
            > > 17:30 /dev/hda1.link -> /dev/hda5

            > Yahoo! Photos -- now, 100 FREE prints!
            > http://photos.yahoo.com
          • Premson P R
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 8, 2000
              Hi,

              "ln -s src dst" will just create a link to the
              specified dest. I don't think df will actually display
              even the links created. It is however helpful to view
              whether the link is actually working. ( By checking
              the disk space. Use "df -k" to view the disk space
              used in KBytes.)

              - Premson

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 8, 2000
                Thanks,