more space required

  • Chinnam anuradha
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 7, 2000
      I have linked my partions as
      "ln -s /dev/hda5 /dev/hda1.link"

      but it came to prompt without giving any message. How
      can I know whether they are linked are not.

      bye

      anuradha

      Yahoo! Photos -- now, 100 FREE prints!
      http://photos.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 7, 2000
        On 7 Jun 2000, Chinnam anuradha saw fit to inform me that:

        > I have linked my partions as
        > "ln -s /dev/hda5 /dev/hda1.link"
        >
        > but it came to prompt without giving any message. How
        > can I know whether they are linked are not.

        Do this

        # df

        -suresh

        Suresh Ramasubramanian + suresh (@) kcircle.com
        Friday@... + http://www.kcircle.com
        Nobody has ever, ever, EVER learned all of C.
      • Chinnam anuradha
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 8, 2000
          I have tried df, but I did not find any difference
          while comparing to previous df.
          --- Suresh Ramasubramanian <Suresh@...> wrote:
          > On 7 Jun 2000, Chinnam anuradha saw fit to inform me
          > that:
          >
          > > I have linked my partions as
          > > "ln -s /dev/hda5 /dev/hda1.link"
          > >
          > > but it came to prompt without giving any message.
          > How
          > > can I know whether they are linked are not.
          >
          > Do this
          >
          > # df
          >
          > -suresh
          >
          > Suresh Ramasubramanian + suresh (@) kcircle.com
          > Friday@... + http://www.kcircle.com
          > Nobody has ever, ever, EVER learned all of C.

          Yahoo! Photos -- now, 100 FREE prints!
          http://photos.yahoo.com
        • Prakash Kailasa
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 8, 2000
            Try "ls -l /dev/hda1.link"

            The output should be something like:

            0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 May 2 17:30 /dev/hda1.link ->
            /dev/hda5

            In Unix/Linux, if there is no message on the terminal, usually
            it is good (No news is good news). Some commands have the '-v' option
            which displays verbose messages on the output.

            /prakash

            --- Chinnam anuradha <anuradha_chinnam@...> wrote:
            > I have tried df, but I did not find any difference
            > while comparing to previous df.
            > --- Suresh Ramasubramanian <Suresh@...> wrote:
            > > On 7 Jun 2000, Chinnam anuradha saw fit to inform me
            > > that:
            > >
            > > > I have linked my partions as
            > > > "ln -s /dev/hda5 /dev/hda1.link"
            > > >
            > > > but it came to prompt without giving any message.
            > > How
            > > > can I know whether they are linked are not.
            > >
            > > Do this
            > >
            > > # df
            > >
            > > -suresh
            > >
            > > Suresh Ramasubramanian + suresh (@) kcircle.com
            > > Friday@... + http://www.kcircle.com
            > > Nobody has ever, ever, EVER learned all of C.

            Yahoo! Photos -- now, 100 FREE prints!
            http://photos.yahoo.com
          • Nick Hill
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 8, 2000
              On Thu, Jun 08, 2000 at 10:03:52PM -0700, Chinnam anuradha wrote:
              > Thanks,
              >
              > I have tried the command. The o/P is same what you
              > have given. Can we remove the link with out loosing
              > data at any time?
              >
              > bye,

              this is just a device file, which is used to access u're device. removing
              the device file wont make a difference, u can create it again with /dev/MAKEDEV.
              i wasn't following lately... but what exactly are u trying to do?

              Nikhil.

              > anuradha
              > > The output should be something like:
              > >
              > > 0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 May 2
              > > 17:30 /dev/hda1.link -> /dev/hda5

              > Yahoo! Photos -- now, 100 FREE prints!
              > http://photos.yahoo.com
            • Premson P R
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 8, 2000

                "ln -s src dst" will just create a link to the
                specified dest. I don't think df will actually display
                even the links created. It is however helpful to view
                whether the link is actually working. ( By checking
                the disk space. Use "df -k" to view the disk space
                used in KBytes.)

                - Premson

                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 8, 2000