i need help for networking using linux

  • rakesh 4 rakesh online services
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 26, 2004
      Dear sir,
      Can anyone tell me to make a n/w with 10 PCs using one system as server ?
      I heard somewhere that Linux can manage bandwidth without drop even shared for many
      clients using LISP software.
      Using mt dial-up internet ( 44kbps ), for how many clients can i share the internet using LAN.

      yours sincerely,
      Rakesh.B., B.Tech.

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 29, 2004
        rakesh 4 rakesh online services <rakesh4ros@...> writes:

        > Using mt dial-up internet ( 44kbps ), for how many clients can i
        > share the internet using LAN.

        Anything more than one is sad.

        --
        A proud GNU user
        http://www.joesteeve.tk/ | http://gnukid.shyper.com/

      • Saifi Khan
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 1, 2004
          On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 04:23:15 -0800 (PST), rakesh 4 rakesh online
          services <rakesh4ros@...> wrote:

          > Dear sir,
          > Can anyone tell me to make a n/w with 10 PCs using one system as server ?
          > I heard somewhere that Linux can manage bandwidth without drop even shared for many
          > clients using LISP software.
          > Using mt dial-up internet ( 44kbps ), for how many clients can i share the internet using LAN.
          >
          > yours sincerely,
          > Rakesh.B., B.Tech.

          Hi Rakesh.B., B.Tech.,

          Let me first try to re-phrase your mail.

          How to "setup a network" of 10 Linux client workstations and
          one Linux Server.

          There are many possible scenarios on the server side and
          the most common one is "provide reliable internet access".

          You would need to define the internal network using one of
          the private IP address range, say 192.168.1.x (x is 2-11)
          and your server IP address is 192.168.1.1 (eth0)

          Configure the following services on the Server for the internal
          'eth0' interface.
          . squid with "transparent proxying" with a nice fat cache.
          (you want your server to be the web gateway)
          . configure the firewall using iptables,
          (to drop incoming SYN packets on your external interface)
          . punch holes in the firewall to provide Yahoo Messenger access
          . configure the resolver (/etc/resolv.conf for DNS entries) and
          (/etc/host.conf) add 'bind' and turn 'multi on'

          Configure the Clients to use the ip 192.168.1.1 as the default gateway.

          Test using ping and broadcasts for the entire network setup and the response.
          Shutdown any CAN-DO-WITHOUT services on your server/clients.

          If you have other services in mind or want some other configuration, please
          take some time to read the book "Linux Deployment" (Wrox Press, Indian title
          is available) and some of the HOW-TOs.

          Theoretically there should not be much of a problem supporting 10 clients on
          this network (in event of no downloads).
          Did a small study on a 30-seater cafe for 45 days and found the following,
          (daily web usage proxy log analysis :-) )
          what people do most are (use/visit),
          . Yahoo Chat (Messenger)
          . mail.yahoo.com
          . rediff.com
          . hotmail.com
          . naukri.com
          . monsterindia.com
          . timesjobs.com
          and and
          . a particular telugu marriage site
          (not for marrying but seeing and collecting YahooId).

          Good luck.

          thanks
          Saifi.