Re: [TwinCLinG] Slackware to drop gnome?

  • Y Giridhar Appaji Nag
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 7, 2004
      Quoting Binand Sethumadhavan <binand@...>:

      > This is actually pretty old news (dissected on slashdot about a
      > month ago). I, for one, is all for it - KDE rules :)

      Personally, I like XFCE. I've found that I don't use much of the apps
      and features that come with Gnome and KDE and upgrading them to the
      latest version always causes some issues or the other.

      All I need is decent windowing support and workspaces in which I run
      apps like firefox, thunderbird, my terminals etc. People talk about
      ratpoison and what not, but I am happy with XFCE after making the move
      about about 6 months ago.

      Giridhar

      --
      Y Giridhar Appaji Nag | http://www.appaji.net/
    • suman
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 8, 2004
        Y Giridhar Appaji Nag wrote:

        >Personally, I like XFCE. I've found that I don't use much of the apps
        >and features that come with Gnome and KDE and upgrading them to the
        >latest version always causes some issues or the other.
        >
        >All I need is decent windowing support and workspaces in which I run
        >apps like firefox, thunderbird, my terminals etc. People talk about
        >ratpoison and what not, but I am happy with XFCE after making the move
        >about about 6 months ago.
        >
        >Giridhar

        Well, i liked XFCE too and i am using it now ( just takes 8mb of
        memory). It was more of a need to make this switch as i had to run
        eclipse,xpdf,browser, terminals keeping the machine snappy on a
        machine with 256MB ram.
        But one complaint i have about XFCE is that if you use too many windows
        as i do, then it is going to be a bit of a problem as there is no
        proper taskbar as in other windowing systems.
        Btw, can anyone suggest a terminal like konsole ( incl tabs,copy paste
        functionality etc.. ) but very light. I use xterm and it lacks many
        essential features of a terminal.

        -Suman
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 8, 2004
          suman [08/11/04 22:32 +0530]:
          > But one complaint i have about XFCE is that if you use too many windows
          > as i do, then it is going to be a bit of a problem as there is no
          > proper taskbar as in other windowing systems.

          I start metacity in my xfce xinitrc :)

          > Btw, can anyone suggest a terminal like konsole ( incl tabs,copy paste
          > functionality etc.. ) but very light. I use xterm and it lacks many
          > essential features of a terminal.

          google for multi-aterm

          --
          Suresh Ramasubramanian | suresh@... | gpg EDEDEFB9
          email sturmbahnfuehrer | lower middle class unix sysadmin
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 8, 2004
            ~~~~ FluxBox ~~~~

            Need i say more? ;)

            regards
            Raghuveer
            yraghuveer @ yahoo.com

            --- In ilughyd@yahoogroups.com, Y Giridhar Appaji Nag <yahoo@a...>

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 9, 2004
              Quoting suman <mansu@...>:
              > Btw, can anyone suggest a terminal like konsole ( incl tabs,copy
              > paste functionality etc.. ) but very light. I use xterm and it
              > lacks many essential features of a terminal.

              Try multi-aterm http://www.nongnu.org/materm/materm.html

              Giridhar

              --
              Y Giridhar Appaji Nag | http://www.appaji.net/
            • Ram
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 11, 2004
                > This is actually pretty old news (dissected on slashdot about a month
                > ago). I, for one, is all for it - KDE rules :)

                Oldnews indeed.....
                I am with GNOME..... KDE reminds me of windows95 but again I didnt use
                kde since 2001

                \ \\ // /
                \ ~ ~ /
                ( @ @ )
                ------oOOo-(_)-oOOo--------------------------
              • suman
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 11, 2004
                  Ram wrote:

                  >>This is actually pretty old news (dissected on slashdot about a month
                  >>ago). I, for one, is all for it - KDE rules :)
                  >>

                  >Oldnews indeed.....
                  >I am with GNOME..... KDE reminds me of windows95 but again I didnt use
                  >kde since 2001

                  well KDE now resembles longhorn and gnome to me still looks like Me ;)

                  -Suman
                • Binand Sethumadhavan
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 12, 2004
                    On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 09:39:24 +0530, suman <mansu@...> wrote:
                    > >Oldnews indeed.....
                    > >I am with GNOME..... KDE reminds me of windows95 but again I didnt use
                    > >kde since 2001
                    > >
                    > well KDE now resembles longhorn and gnome to me still looks like Me ;)

                    Unfortunate choice of an example, let us stick to Win XP or even
                    progress to OS X, shall we?

                    Longhorn is probably more apt a simile for Gnome.

                    Binand