Software Freedom Day--My thoughts

  • Vijay Kancherla
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 3, 2004
      Hi,

      I am sorry guys, but Software Freedom Day (october 2nd Tagore Auditorium) is a big Failure, we failed to get the right message across. The organiser's Should have tought before they Finilised the speakers. The crowd was there, but we could'nt driver them with the spirit of Freedom Software. Everything was going on just as a formality.

      Coming to Speakers and lectures there is nothing to be reviewed, everything was a mess. When i first walked into the auditorium, i was impressed by the setup, amd more by dias and it was good to see "Elx" "Veda Solutions" in the sponsor listing,(both of which i am aware of...).

      I am still unable to understand why a talk by Mr.Raghu Bharadwaj (M/s Veda Solutions)
      was not organised, I had the fortune of hearing him in our college 1 year back. and the way he got the entire crowed behind the idea of open/free source was quite amazing. Most of my classmates(incl me) didn't know what linux was and we were windows freaks, but after listeining to him for 1 hour, we are so much inspired the we threw away windows and started of with linux. He is one of the best natural Speakers i and my friends have ever heard.

      This event was a perfect platform from him and more so coz Veda was one of the sponsors . All of us were expecting a hard- hitting talk on Open source from him.

      We were also expecting a session from "ELX", which too was missed. A lot could be learned if ELX could have delivered a talk on their expriences of product development on linux.

      The organisers have to get the basics right.

      Regards
      Vijay

    • Pradeep Kumar
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 3, 2004
        Software freedom day,Moderators should have informed
        about the event.I know that this is postponed and no
        one informed about it.

        Moderators should have inform.I missed the event.
        I found that i did not miss any thing.
        --- Vijay Kancherla <vijay_kancherla@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I am sorry guys, but Software Freedom Day (october
        > 2nd Tagore Auditorium) is a big Failure, we failed
        > to get the right message across. The organiser's
        > Should have tought before they Finilised the
        > speakers. The crowd was there, but we could'nt
        > driver them with the spirit of Freedom Software.
        > Everything was going on just as a formality.
        >
        > Coming to Speakers and lectures there is nothing to
        > be reviewed, everything was a mess. When i first
        > walked into the auditorium, i was impressed by the
        > setup, amd more by dias and it was good to see
        > "Elx" "Veda Solutions" in the sponsor listing,(both
        > of which i am aware of...).
        >
        > I am still unable to understand why a talk by
        > Mr.Raghu Bharadwaj (M/s Veda Solutions)
        > was not organised, I had the fortune of hearing him
        > in our college 1 year back. and the way he got the
        > entire crowed behind the idea of open/free source
        > was quite amazing. Most of my classmates(incl me)
        > didn't know what linux was and we were windows
        > freaks, but after listeining to him for 1 hour, we
        > are so much inspired the we threw away windows and
        > started of with linux. He is one of the best natural
        > Speakers i and my friends have ever heard.
        >
        > This event was a perfect platform from him and more
        > so coz Veda was one of the sponsors . All of us were
        > expecting a hard- hitting talk on Open source from
        > him.
        >
        > We were also expecting a session from "ELX", which
        > too was missed. A lot could be learned if ELX could
        > have delivered a talk on their expriences of product
        > development on linux.
        >
        > The organisers have to get the basics right.
        >
        > Regards
        > Vijay

        > removed]

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • Phani Kumar Arava
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 3, 2004
          Well I will get some thoughts on that though iam not present in hyd.

          Well when i was in hyd the things were going smoothly except the dates
          were postponed.

          I got thru some primary talks, but still there was lot of things to do.

          Kishore, Raghuveer and Suman .. Plz explain what exactly happened ..??
          I even didnt see the dates posted on the list. Y was that so ?

        • suman
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 3, 2004
            Pradeep Kumar wrote:

            >Software freedom day,Moderators should have informed
            >about the event.I know that this is postponed and no
            >one informed about it.
            >
            >Moderators should have inform.I missed the event.
            >I found that i did not miss any thing.

            Hi Pradeep,
            It is the job of the organisers to inform people about the event. It is
            not the job of the moderator to keep a tab on the happenings on linux
            events in hyderabad and to inform them to the group. My job is to
            disseminate the information i get to the whole group.
            Had the organisers sent me a formal mail regarding the event, i would
            have forwarded it to the list, but nuthing of such sort happened.
            I came to know about the event atleast one week before hand.But even
            till friday night(the event was on saturday) i was told by a guy
            attending the event that he doesnt know the names of speakers who will
            speak at the conference.This was also the case with a guy who was one of
            the organisers for the conference.
            So, i thought it would not be proper to post some news about an event
            about which i knew nothing.
            -Suman
          • Pradeep Kumar
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 3, 2004
              I expected a lot from this event.--- suman
              <mansu@...> wrote:

              > Hi Pradeep,
              > It is the job of the organisers to inform people
              > about the event. It is
              > not the job of the moderator to keep a tab on the
              > happenings on linux
              > events in hyderabad and to inform them to the
              > group.
              So,you mean to say that it is the event not conducted
              by ilug-hyd.It is conducted by some organisation other
              than ilug.Then sorry i thought this is conducted by
              ilug.

              > have forwarded it to the list, but nuthing of such
              > sort happened.
              > I came to know about the event atleast one week
              > before hand.But even
              > till friday night(the event was on saturday) i was
              > told by a guy
              > attending the event that he doesnt know the names of
              > speakers who will
              > speak at the conference.This was also the case with
              > a guy who was one of
              > the organisers for the conference.
              > So, i thought it would not be proper to post some
              > news about an event
              > about which i knew nothing.
              You are right,but there are other moderators or so
              called organisers,who are so active in this group
              could have informed about the event.
              i waited for this event and i missed it just because
              of no information.

              I heard from a guy that event is bore.Could any one
              post about the event.

              http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail