Re: [TwinCLinG] Theme for this month's meet

  • suresh kumar
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 1, 2004
      My vote goes with kernel internals.
      let us not restrict ourselves with linux
      usage to one domain only, let us get exposed
      to other domains.
      cheers
      Suresh

      > Hi all ,
      >
      > My Vote goes to System Administration.
      >
      > Linux as a gateway for internet in a industry was very popular.
      >
      > Industry looking towards more security now a days and also for more
      > utilities from linux server.
      >
      > Like Virtual server , Virtual private Networking , Exchange using linux,Band width control,
      > and many other features can be discussed in this session.
      >
      > This session will be useful for both new sys admin and experienced.
      >
      > It will be very useful to spend one session for these things from persons who really
      > going through all these things on a daily routine.
      >
      > with regards
      >
      > M.K.SAI KUMAR
      >

      > suman <mansu@...> wrote:
      > hi all,
      > For July month's meet we have two proposals for theme's.
      > -Linux Administration
      > -Kernel internals
      >
      > Please post your choice on this list along with a reason why we should
      > have it.
      >
      > My vote goes to kernel internals coz
      > - every month we have some talk on Administration part
      > - kernel internals is something which we havent covered in depth in the
      > lug till now
      > - Above all ITS PRETTY COOOOOL STUFF to know.
      >
      > This is just my vote not my decision,so please post your opinions on the
      > list.
      >
      > -suman

      IndiaInfo Mail - the free e-mail service with a difference! www.indiainfo.com
      Check out our value-added Premium features, such as an extra 20MB for mail storage, POP3, e-mail forwarding, and ads-free mailboxes!

      Powered by Outblaze
    • Binand Sethumadhavan
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 1, 2004
        On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 23:57:16 +0530, suman <mansu@...> wrote:

        > hi all,
        > For July month's meet we have two proposals for theme's.
        > -Linux Administration
        > -Kernel internals
        >
        > Please post your choice on this list along with a reason why we should
        > have it.

        Why don't you make it as a Yahoo groups poll? The results would be
        much more authoritative IMO.

        Binand
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 1, 2004
          Binand Sethumadhavan wrote:

          > Why don't you make it as a Yahoo groups poll? The results would be
          > much more authoritative IMO.

          Nobody bothers to answer those.

          Every single poll so far - that's been posted on the web and not
          discussed in email - has had maybe 10..15 people responding, max.
        • Madhav
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 1, 2004
            --- In ilughyd@yahoogroups.com, Binand Sethumadhavan <binand@g...>
            wrote:
            > On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 23:57:16 +0530, suman <mansu@g...> wrote:
            > >
            > > hi all,
            > > For July month's meet we have two proposals for theme's.
            > > -Linux Administration
            > > -Kernel internals

            It makes more sense to stress on the following:-

            Linux Internals

            =>Base Functions
            =>Process Model
            =>Scheduler & VM Manager
            =>Signals & Handling
            =>System Calls
            =>File Systems
            =>Comparision – 2.4 & 2.6

            Linux Kernel

            =>Kernel overview
            =>Memory Addressing
            =>Processes & IPC, PCI
            =>Interrupts & Handling, Drivers
            =>Mechanisms, Modules
            =>Kernel Compiling & Targets

            This outline could be build as a base towards Device Drivers
            or Embedded/RTOS funda!

            These days Admin funda is more or less passe' (saturated).
            What we need is a strong developer orientation (read as LUG),
            especially on Systems, Device, Embedded programming model.

            I have plenty of self-made content on the same, you may mail
            me at moto_madhav@....

            madhav
          • suman
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 1, 2004
              Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:

              >Nobody bothers to answer those.
              >
              >Every single poll so far - that's been posted on the web and not
              >discussed in email - has had maybe 10..15 people responding, max.

              thats true.
              yahoo polls should also include an argument section where people can
              also post an argument for their choice .
              Another thing i would like to have is a poll via email without those
              javascript extensions.
              -suman
            • chintu bhavaraju
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 1, 2004
                Hi all,

                I agree with the list proposed for kernel internals but i think we should make it more extensive and instead of trying to cram in too much in one meeting have a elaborate discussion over this meeting and the next months meeting.

                Some other topics could be included which dont have too much text about them available like

                Kernel Debugging

                Detecting Memory Leaks

                Usage of tools like kgdb, kdb, IKD with the setting up of a serial console and how the memory pages should be analysed.

                Satya

                Next Meeting as on our Website: http://ilug-hyd.org.in