Re: [TwinCLinG] Telnet login as root

  • John
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2004
      On Thu, 2004-04-01 at 12:25, Sitaram Chamarty wrote:
      > I think it's /etc/securetty -- and you need to delete the file to login
      > as root via telnet (or list a bunch of pts's in that file).
      >
      > Anyway thats the old solution. The new solution is not to run telnet at
      > all, but ssh. No one should be using telnet anymore. The world has
      > changed too much
      >
      > Sita
      >
      > on 01-Apr-2004 12:02 PM Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
      >
      > >[4/1/2004 11:56 AM] Chunduru Rama Krishna Prasad :
      > >
      > >> In normally telnet is allowed to normal users( other than root) only.
      > >> Is their any configuration file present which can be changed to allow
      > >>root also to do telnet?
      > >

      > >poke around /etc/pam.d/
      > >
      > >this is a default only in linux - and that too because RMS insisted on
      > >it (he's been known to run boxes without a root password ...)

      RMS means --- Richard Stallman's am I right ?

      and I think using telnet in intranet may be efficient one there is no
      overhead of keys, encryption etc ....

      regards
    • DN Raju
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 2, 2004
        remove or rename the file securetty or ttysecure at /etc/ derectory .

        Raju

        Win an evening with the Indian cricket captain: Yahoo! India Promos.