Re: [TwinCLinG] Telnet login as root

  • Sitaram Chamarty
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 31, 2004
      I think it's /etc/securetty -- and you need to delete the file to login
      as root via telnet (or list a bunch of pts's in that file).

      Anyway thats the old solution. The new solution is not to run telnet at
      all, but ssh. No one should be using telnet anymore. The world has
      changed too much

      Sita

      on 01-Apr-2004 12:02 PM Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:

      >[4/1/2004 11:56 AM] Chunduru Rama Krishna Prasad :
      >

      >>Hi all,
      >> In normally telnet is allowed to normal users( other than root) only.
      >> Is their any configuration file present which can be changed to allow
      >>root also to do telnet?
      >>

      >poke around /etc/pam.d/
      >
      >this is a default only in linux - and that too because RMS insisted on
      >it (he's been known to run boxes without a root password ...)

      Sitaram

      The way these things go, there are probably 6 or 8 kludgey ways to do it, and a better way that involves rethinking something that hasn't been rethunk yet. --Larry Wall in <199710221859.LAA24889@...>

    • John
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1, 2004
        On Thu, 2004-04-01 at 12:25, Sitaram Chamarty wrote:
        > I think it's /etc/securetty -- and you need to delete the file to login
        > as root via telnet (or list a bunch of pts's in that file).
        >
        > Anyway thats the old solution. The new solution is not to run telnet at
        > all, but ssh. No one should be using telnet anymore. The world has
        > changed too much
        >
        > Sita
        >
        > on 01-Apr-2004 12:02 PM Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
        >
        > >[4/1/2004 11:56 AM] Chunduru Rama Krishna Prasad :
        > >
        > >> In normally telnet is allowed to normal users( other than root) only.
        > >> Is their any configuration file present which can be changed to allow
        > >>root also to do telnet?
        > >

        > >poke around /etc/pam.d/
        > >
        > >this is a default only in linux - and that too because RMS insisted on
        > >it (he's been known to run boxes without a root password ...)

        RMS means --- Richard Stallman's am I right ?

        and I think using telnet in intranet may be efficient one there is no
        overhead of keys, encryption etc ....

        regards
      • DN Raju
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 2, 2004
          remove or rename the file securetty or ttysecure at /etc/ derectory .

          Raju

          Win an evening with the Indian cricket captain: Yahoo! India Promos.