Re: [TwinCLinG] Digest Number 1406

  • Atul Negi
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2 10:54 PM
      Just looking at the recent direction of posts on our list

      I would like to ask what is our list really about?
      I wish we should try to contribute to the general body of knowledge
      in a definitive way by adding to the HOWTO-s like previous contributions
      by Doc. Partha and Bhyrav Prasad. Also we know about how
      Suresh is engaged in the fight against spam.

      These are examples for the enthusiasts on the list to understand
      what the OSS effort is all about.

      Is there a project which our list can start and maintain?
      Is nt there a mission we should be working for like Localizing Linux
      in some regional language.?? etc...

      Can we get enough people to support an OCR system for Telugu which
      has been initiated and developed by our own list people?

      This is just one of the good activities we can be doing.

      All flames and pointy answers OFF list only please.

      Atul NEGI, Ph.D.
      Office: Room M209
      Dept. of Computer & Information Sciences, University of Hyderabad,
      Gachibowli, HYDERABAD, 500 046 INDIA
      Office: 91-040-23010 500 x 4031
      Home: 91-040-23010 343
      FAX: 91-040-23010 145, 91-040-23010 120
      EMAIL: atulcs@..., atul-negi@...
    • Y Giridhar Appaji Nag
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 3 1:40 AM
        my Rs/- 0.02 on this touchy issue :-)

        On Wed, 3 Mar 2004, Atul Negi wrote:

        > Just looking at the recent direction of posts on our list
        >
        > I would like to ask what is our list really about?
        > I wish we should try to contribute to the general body of knowledge
        > in a definitive way by adding to the HOWTO-s like previous contributions
        > by Doc. Partha and Bhyrav Prasad. Also we know about how
        > Suresh is engaged in the fight against spam.

        On the HOWTO front, I was wondering if people would be interested in
        reading a few HOWTOs and doing content/technical reviews. The LDP
        suffers from a situation where it wants to encourage authors to do some
        documentation and at the same time, that they maintain accuracy and keep
        doing so.

        > These are examples for the enthusiasts on the list to understand
        > what the OSS effort is all about.
        >
        > Is there a project which our list can start and maintain?

        It is VERY difficult to start a project and *sustain* it. Starting
        something looks sexy, but seeing it to version 1.0 and then maintaining
        the same is a royal PITA. Ask Suresh about the progress on the "small"
        Anti-spam-HOWTO started by a few people for the LDP.

        > Is nt there a mission we should be working for like Localizing Linux
        > in some regional language.?? etc...

        Things that come to mind are the gnome telugu translation. I took a look
        at their glossary (search for a download via google), but there is a lot
        to be done there, for example, most of the Telugu that they use isn't
        all that "common", as in, a common telugu literate AP village person
        cannot understand it. It needs reviewers.

        > Can we get enough people to support an OCR system for Telugu which
        > has been initiated and developed by our own list people?

        Why don't you register the OCR system as a project on sourceforge or
        savannah and send out announces etc.? The way I see it, people would be
        interested in taking a look at a project only when they find that it is
        interesting and that there is *some* activity on it. Nikhil used to do
        release-often/frequently of his smsterm project.

        > This is just one of the good activities we can be doing.
        >
        > All flames and pointy answers OFF list only please.

        I wouldn't mind them being on the list. I'd rather be rudely informed
        than being politely left in the dark.

        Giridhar
      • suman
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 3 4:26 AM
          hi

          >>Is nt there a mission we should be working for like Localizing Linux
          >>in some regional language.?? etc...
          >>

          >Things that come to mind are the gnome telugu translation. I took a look
          >at their glossary (search for a download via google), but there is a lot
          >to be done there, for example, most of the Telugu that they use isn't
          >all that "common", as in, a common telugu literate AP village person
          >cannot understand it. It needs reviewers.

          we planned an ambitious project for translating the KDE documentation
          into telugu.
          the plan was to get a 100 volunteers from my college and hand them a
          page of KDE enlish documentation and ask them to translate it and type
          it to telugu .We thought that doing so will save complete the
          translation work in a day and all we needed to do was edit and format
          the content .
          We even gathered names of abt 50 ppl for the event but we cud go no
          furthur coz the terms used by the KDE team were not common as mentioned
          and some actions even lacked telugu equivalents.can't compare it to
          gnome coz haven't seen it?(can ne body compare this?)
          IMO first and foremost thing is to find volunteeers for doing the same.

          >I wouldn't mind them being on the list. I'd rather be rudely informed
          >than being politely left in the dark.
          >
          >Giridhar

          i think the discussion shud be on the list.
          -suman
        • gc
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 7 5:09 AM
            hi,
            suman.. the idea was good.. I wud like to be a part of
            something of such magnitude.

            regards,
            gc.

            http://search.yahoo.com