[TwinCLinG] Re: Basic draft - ilug-hyd.org homepage

  • Bhyrava Prasad
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 5, 1999
      The page is fine by me , except that unless you want to
      pay gif-tax, you will want to change all images to
      png or other open format! Do we need the animation?

      > 1. About Linux (a short history)

      > 2. Linux FAQ and Howto
      >
      > 3. Interface - .
      >
      > 4. News -
      >
      > Everything possible will fall under these broad categories imho. If I
      > have missed anything, please do tell me.

      In the best of the Linux/lynx tradition, I think we will
      need to have a text only page also. Definitely, avoid using
      frames. The FAQs will need to be updated too.

      Good to see more people take the initiative on this. Way to go!

      - Bhyrav
    • Syed Khader Vali
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 5, 1999
        Bhyrava Prasad wrote:

        > The page is fine by me , except that unless you want to
        > pay gif-tax, you will want to change all images to
        > png or other open format! Do we need the animation?

        Hello there,
        Well that's right. Maybe we can just shift to PNG format.
        Dump GIf's forever, as we are also about Open source. And
        no need of any animation ;-) I suppose. No proprietary stuff
        also on the page. And no M$ Bashing on the page too.
        ( I think we had it earlier did we ?? ) I dunno but just now I
        looked at the images and they sort of looked hazy. I mean
        I could see the roughness of the image ( wasn't smooth ) and
        do we need any pictures at all ???
        As long as we are providing the info needed with the best possible
        speed and make the page look more humble. ;-)
        But, as always I maybe wrong at the things I say.
        Regards
        Khader

        Assosciate Technical Executive
        IBM Global Services India (P) Ltd.
        Golden Enclave
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 5, 1999
          There is no animation - only javascript rollovers

          On 5 Nov 99, at 16:33, thus spake Bhyrava Prasad:

          > The page is fine by me , except that unless you want to
          > pay gif-tax, you will want to change all images to
          > png or other open format! Do we need the animation?

          Suresh Ramasubramanian
          106D, Aditya Enclave, Ameerpet, Hyderabad 500038, India.
          Phone: +(91-40)3736553/3745398 | eFax: +(1-603)590-5437
          Suresh@... | Suresh@...
          http://www.kcircle.com | http://www.angen.net/~pegasus/
          Error Message for the day:
          Error, no mouse - click OK to continue.
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 5, 1999
            On 5 Nov 99, at 19:01, thus spake Syed Khader Vali:

            > Hello there,
            > Well that's right. Maybe we can just shift to PNG format.
            > Dump GIf's forever, as we are also about Open source. And

            Doable I suppose - but I was using NetObjects fusion which
            generates gifs by the dozen :-) Fast loading, small ones too.

            PNG, afaik, produces larger file sizes than gifs

            > no need of any animation ;-) I suppose. No proprietary stuff
            > also on the page. And no M$ Bashing on the page too.
            > ( I think we had it earlier did we ?? ) I dunno but just now I

            I have edited out most of the anti ms stuff (which was in the
            Torvalds interview and elsewhere (usual Torvalds rocks, gates sux
            sort of thing - no sense in stressing what is already known)

            > looked at the images and they sort of looked hazy. I mean
            > I could see the roughness of the image ( wasn't smooth ) and
            > do we need any pictures at all ???

            Pix are ok - after all, people do use Netscape even on Linux. Visual
            impact counts lots more than just info. I have assured that the
            page loads ok in lynx also

            > As long as we are providing the info needed with the best possible
            > speed and make the page look more humble. ;-) But, as always I maybe
            > wrong at the things I say. Regards

            The grafix are quite light - and mostly common throughout the site -
            so no hassles IMHO.

            The homepage uses graphics I created - and the grafix need some
            polishing (I was concentrating on the javascript rahter than on
            snazzy images, now we can work on images - any photoshop
            experts around?)

            Suresh Ramasubramanian
            106D, Aditya Enclave, Ameerpet, Hyderabad 500038, India.
            Phone: +(91-40)3736553/3745398 | eFax: +(1-603)590-5437
            Suresh@... | Suresh@...
            http://www.kcircle.com | http://www.angen.net/~pegasus/
            Philosopher (n): a blind person in a dark room looking for a black cat that is not there
          • Bhyrava Prasad
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 6, 1999
              Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:

              > PNG, afaik, produces larger file sizes than gifs

              That is not the issue here, though it is true. The company which
              owns the gif patent (Compuserve, or is it Unisys) wants to make
              you pay up if you use this format. Also , PNG is an open format , and
              not proprietary. Nov 5th was "Burn All Gifs day" when all
              open content sites have eliminated gifs.

              > The homepage uses graphics I created - and the grafix need some
              > polishing (I was concentrating on the javascript rahter than on
              > snazzy images, now we can work on images - any photoshop
              > experts around?)

              Oh oh! Anyone else turned Javascript and Java off like me?

              Also , don't assume all Linux users use Netscape. I use the
              KDE browser, mozilla, Arena etc. So if there are some arcane
              features of Netscape, maybe we are better off without them.

              How about a pic of Tux on the 'minar?

              - Bhyrav Prasad
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 6, 1999
                On 6 Nov 99, at 14:39, thus spake Bhyrava Prasad:

                > That is not the issue here, though it is true. The company which
                > owns the gif patent (Compuserve, or is it Unisys) wants to make

                Trying to do it - and doing it are two totally different things. Open
                Source does not mean going overboard and junking a perfectly
                good technology for it.

                > Oh oh! Anyone else turned Javascript and Java off like me?
                > Also , don't assume all Linux users use Netscape. I use the

                There is nothing netscape specific here. Any javascript compliant
                browser will do (even kDE browser or whatever).

                > How about a pic of Tux on the 'minar?

                Thought of it long before, and working on it - but all my clipart
                library (on my hdd) was destroyed in a crash, so I have to dig for
                more.

                Suresh Ramasubramanian
                106D, Aditya Enclave, Ameerpet, Hyderabad 500038, India.
                Phone: +(91-40)3736553/3745398 | eFax: +(1-603)590-5437
                Suresh@... | Suresh@...
                http://www.kcircle.com | http://www.angen.net/~pegasus/
                He who does anything BECAUSE it is the custom, makes no choice.
                -- John Stuart Mill
              • Bhyrava Prasad
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 6, 1999
                  Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:

                  > On 6 Nov 99, at 14:39, thus spake Bhyrava Prasad:
                  >
                  > > That is not the issue here, though it is true. The company which
                  > > owns the gif patent (Compuserve, or is it Unisys) wants to make
                  >
                  > Trying to do it - and doing it are two totally different things. Open
                  > Source does not mean going overboard and junking a perfectly
                  > good technology for it.

                  It is not about Open Source believers really. Gif is a proprietary
                  format and now they want to make users pay for it. Whether
                  or not they can do it is another thing. For that matter, so many
                  people run pirated Windoze s/w. Can MS do anything about it? I would
                  anyday run Linux if it does the job, at least due to the
                  piracy angle. MHO , of course.

                  Open source people did not have much to do about that
                  decision. Anyway , isn't this list all about Open Source?
                  The concept extends to everything , when we are talking of
                  free as in freedom and not as in getting something gratis.

                  - Bhyrav Prasad
                • Syed Khader Vali
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 6, 1999
                    Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
                    > Trying to do it - and doing it are two totally different things. Open
                    > Source does not mean going overboard and junking a perfectly
                    > good technology for it.

                    Hello there,
                    Well we are not junking a perfectly good technology here but junking
                    some one who wants to use patents to stop us from doing what we want !!
                    Freedeom is what Linux is about and there shall be freedom in every
                    aspect of our things ( the web page here ;-)

                    > There is nothing netscape specific here. Any javascript compliant
                    > browser will do (even kDE browser or whatever).

                    Well, java script *is* netscape specific as it does not run in KFM
                    nor does javascript run in Lynx. I hope you get that.

                    > Thought of it long before, and working on it - but all my clipart
                    > library (on my hdd) was destroyed in a crash, so I have to dig for
                    > more.

                    Well, for that a search on the net will help you.
                    I had a lot , but now they are on my home machine which happens to be
                    in Hyderabad under my brother's control. ;-(

                    That's all for now.
                    Regards
                    Khader
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 6, 1999
                      JS runs in several other browsers - and the site works perfectly well
                      without it. So no harm in it staying there.

                      No hassles if I use JPEG I hope? I'll convert all gifs to jpegs if you
                      guys say ok. PNG is out of the question - major bandwidth hog,
                      plus it's not too good re image quality

                      On 6 Nov 99, at 19:51, thus spake Syed Khader Vali:

                      > Well, java script *is* netscape specific as it does not run in KFM nor
                      > does javascript run in Lynx. I hope you get that.

                      Suresh Ramasubramanian
                      106D, Aditya Enclave, Ameerpet, Hyderabad 500038, India.
                      Phone: +(91-40)3736553/3745398 | eFax: +(1-603)590-5437
                      Suresh@... | Suresh@...
                      http://www.kcircle.com | http://www.angen.net/~pegasus/
                      Do you dream in colors or do you discriminate ?
                    • Nikhil
                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 6, 1999
                        Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:

                        > JS runs in several other browsers - and the site works perfectly well
                        > without it. So no harm in it staying there.
                        JS doesn't run on one of the primary browsers in linux, lynx, which also
                        happens to be the faster browser around. We cannot target only netscape
                        users to view our page... if we want to make our page presentable to
                        whole linux community, and i think thats one of our objectives, is it
                        not? I for one use lynx for web browsing as its verrry fast. It gets me
                        to the data i am looking for. Of course for people who r surfing the net
                        for fun, i think THEY need netscape. I use netscape only for its mail
                        client but am thinking to moving to balsa...

                        > No hassles if I use JPEG I hope? I'll convert all gifs to jpegs if you
                        > guys say ok. PNG is out of the question - major bandwidth hog,
                        > plus it's not too good re image quality
                        In fact JPEG has lossful compression, while PNG has LOSSLESS
                        compression, which means u get back the original image when u decompress
                        it. i think PNG is the best choice for web graphics, especially a site
                        which is on linux. btw the GNOME developers also PNGs and so does
                        enlightenment. They put PNGs in CVS trees, they do not put JPEGs or for
                        that matter GIFs. Dont u think they would have thought of other image
                        formats? Why should we do the research all over? y dont we take some
                        facts and base further decisions on them? I recommed the format of the
                        graphics to be in PNGs... As for the clipart, I can aid u with that and
                        find some and make some for u... in case u need my help.

                        Nikhil.
                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 6, 1999
                          On 6 Nov 99, at 21:49, thus spake Nikhil:

                          > I recommed the format of the graphics
                          > to be in PNGs... As for the clipart, I can aid u with that and find
                          > some and make some for u... in case u need my help.

                          Yes please - and re png - where does the compression factor enter
                          in? Images are downloaded ~uncompressed~ anyway.

                          Also Javascript has become more or less well integrated into HTML
                          4.0. Lynx users are perfectly free to see the site - they won't find
                          any hassles browsing it, I promise

                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 6, 1999
                            Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:

                            > On 6 Nov 99, at 21:49, thus spake Nikhil:
                            > Yes please - and re png - where does the compression factor enter
                            > in? Images are downloaded ~uncompressed~ anyway.
                            what do u mean by that? of course they r downloaded compressed. whatever
                            gave u the idea that they r downloaded uncompressed? downloading them
                            uncompressed beats the very idea of the smaller size which is a result
                            of compression, which can transfer an image faster. let me make things
                            clear for u, PNG is a LOSSLESS compression format, as against JPEG which
                            is a LOSSY compression format. All images, whether PNGs or JPEGs, or if
                            u insist on it, GIFs, are transferred in their *compressed* form ONLY.
                            they r uncompressed AFTER the file is downloaded locally. I hope this
                            clears things up a bit. And i dont think it is good for the list to
                            argue on facts that have already been proven. In fact PNG is a W3C
                            recommendation. I dont think u can counter that!

                            > Also Javascript has become more or less well integrated into HTML
                            > 4.0. Lynx users are perfectly free to see the site - they won't find
                            > any hassles browsing it, I promise
                            But still unrecognizable by lynx. why put in all that work, when most of
                            us cannot even recognise it? I was first surprised when i loaded up the
                            page in lynx, I mean i can barely see anything on the page... only a few
                            links in a corner. After i saw every1 mentioning that there is JS in the
                            page, I forced myself to fire up netscape and load u're page in it. It
                            will be unfair if i say that the page is not good, but what 'bout ppl.
                            like me? If a guy who uses lynx comes to our website and sees a small
                            bunch of links in a corner... i bet he wont even bother navigating. I
                            personally would like to suggest the pattern of AltaVista or Excite.
                            They both have text-only versions of their pages and they rock! they
                            give u all the info in plain ol' TEXT! A user using a text browser like
                            lynx is in no position to view all u're content which is in the form of
                            images, trigerred off by JS in the page. I am not saying that a lynx
                            user will have any problems "browsing" through the site. But a site is
                            supposed to encourage the user to "browse" thru. I dont find any use in
                            storing plain TEXT in images, y dont u put TEXT as TEXT? this would
                            allow all of us, including those who r obsessed with graphical browsers
                            which may or maynot support JS can "browse" as well as get a lot of info
                            from our site. A site has to be about convenience. It has to provide a
                            lucid coverage of what lies within. When we request every1 NOT to write
                            HTML mails, it is cuz some ppl. use text email clients to access their
                            mail. if they would have netscape or other means, they would have used
                            the netscape mail client as well... BUT still zillions of lists
                            worldwide prefer NON-HTML mails, that means a majority of the net
                            community still prefers text terminals. And that includes me! We have to
                            face the fact that text IS faster than gfx.

                            Please do not get offended by what I have written above. I have only
                            presented my opinion on the state of things. I hope this dispute about
                            the webpage is quickly done away with and we arrive at some conclusive
                            decision, which inturn will kick-start off our website on the net. So, I
                            think we all need to input some efforts into the creation of OUR site. I
                            would like every1 to contribute whatever they can to Mr. Suresh, so that
                            he can be the judge of what can be included and what cannot be.

                            thanx for lending me an ear!(or the bandwidth rather) ;-)

                            Nikhil.
                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 6, 1999
                              Peace, Peace

                              > those who r obsessed with graphical browsers which may or maynot
                              > support JS can "browse" as well as get a lot of info from our site. A
                              > site has to be about convenience.

                              Compromise - I retain two versions - 1 fancy javascript and 1 plain
                              text. Simple browser detection script to see who is using what and
                              take the guy there accordingly.

                              -- s

                              PNG still has the disadvantage of huge file size - W3C reco
                              notwithstanding. Do you people know of any tools to optimize PNG
                              file sizes? Lots of gif optimizers on the market.

                              Suresh Ramasubramanian
                              106D, Aditya Enclave, Ameerpet, Hyderabad 500038, India.
                              Phone: +(91-40)3736553/3745398 | eFax: +(1-603)590-5437
                              Suresh@... | Suresh@...
                              http://www.kcircle.com | http://www.angen.net/~pegasus/
                              Failure is not an option.
                              It comes bundled with your Microsoft product.
                              Message 14 of 17 , Nov 8, 1999
                                Hello all

                                Owing to the sentiment of the guys on the lists - I have more or less
                                dumped javascript. The site will be quite easily navigable in Lynx,
                                imho. Only thing - it will have some good fonts, and not appear like
                                a collection of .txt files in monospace.

                                > Well can we summarise the questions being shot around in the list and
                                > the final (working ) solution?? The funny thing is that all the
                                > troubled people dont clearly say what exactly worked to solve their
                                > problem.

                                I am adding a FAQs page which will cover

                                1. Support for SiS cards

                                2. Configuring PPP

                                3. Configuring sound cards with Yamaha OPL3

                                4. Installing Linux (a guide by Norm Matloff - I'll be mirroring it,
                                adding that the original can be found at ___)

                                5. The Linux installation checklist by Doc Partha of Algologic -

                                these do?

                                --s

                                Suresh Ramasubramanian
                                106D, Aditya Enclave, Ameerpet, Hyderabad 500038, India.
                                Phone: +(91-40)3736553/3745398 | eFax: +(1-603)590-5437
                                Suresh@... | Suresh@...
                                http://www.kcircle.com | http://www.angen.net/~pegasus/
                                It will be generally found that those who sneer
                                habitually at human nature and affect to despise it
                                are among its worst and least pleasant examples.
                                -- Charles Dickens
                              • Bhyrava Prasad
                                Message 15 of 17 , Nov 8, 1999
                                  > Well can we summarise the questions being shot around in the list and
                                  > the final (working ) solution?? The funny thing is that all the
                                  > troubled people dont clearly say what exactly worked to solve their
                                  > problem.

                                  It would be very good for all of us to send the probs
                                  faced and the solution to Suresh while he is on this.

                                  Murali and/or Sekhar , could you please send the hdparm info , as
                                  the solution is rather obscure?

                                  Sumit and/or Murali, how about the Yamaha PCI sound card info?

                                  I am sure Goswami has lot of tips to contribute too.

                                  Thanks
                                  - Bhyrav Prasad
                                • Atul Negi
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Nov 8, 1999
                                    I think there is a serious contradiction in the web page design.
                                    Initially I had thought about commenting about the inclusion of
                                    images and JS. Actually graphics for me is a serious put off from
                                    browsing but I thought if others have the bandwidth and enjoy it why not?

                                    I believe that as Linux culture advocates we need to be clearly
                                    on the morally right side of things.
                                    Therefore the following points are mooted.

                                    1.Lets not have anything which is *NOT* free (in the sense of freedom)
                                    Therefore that rules out GIF.

                                    2. Netculture is about being able to cater to the minimal guy,
                                    It is not an exclusive club for those who have loads of bandwidth.
                                    in my interpretation that means NO images is better.
                                    I agree that TEXT ought to be text.

                                    Well now apart from the quibbling lets get to the serious aspect:

                                    CONTENT,

                                    Well can we summarise the questions being shot around in the list
                                    and the final (working ) solution??
                                    The funny thing is that all the troubled people dont clearly say
                                    what exactly worked to solve their problem.

                                    I think things like that need to be worked out.

                                    On Sun, 7 Nov 1999, Nikhil wrote:

> [...]
                                    > mail. if they would have netscape or other means, they would have used
                                    > the netscape mail client as well... BUT still zillions of lists
                                    > worldwide prefer NON-HTML mails, that means a majority of the net
                                    > community still prefers text terminals. And that includes me! We have to
                                    > face the fact that text IS faster than gfx.
                                    >
                                    > Please do not get offended by what I have written above. I have only
                                    > presented my opinion on the state of things. I hope this dispute about
                                    > the webpage is quickly done away with and we arrive at some conclusive
                                    > decision, which inturn will kick-start off our website on the net. So, I
                                    > think we all need to input some efforts into the creation of OUR site. I
                                    > would like every1 to contribute whatever they can to Mr. Suresh, so that
                                    > he can be the judge of what can be included and what cannot be.
                                    >
                                    > thanx for lending me an ear!(or the bandwidth rather) ;-)

                                    ATUL NEGI
                                    Office: Room M209
                                    Dept. of Computer & Information Sciences, University of Hyderabad,
                                    Gachibowli, HYDERABAD, 500 046 INDIA
                                    Contact: 91-040-3010 500 x 4056
                                    FAX: 91-040-3010 145, 91-040-3010 120
                                    EMAIL: atulcs@..., atul@...
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Nov 8, 1999
                                      On 8 Nov 99, at 17:52, thus spake Bhyrava Prasad:

                                      > > Murali and/or Sekhar , could you please send the hdparm info , as
                                      > > the > solution is rather obscure? > Sumit and/or Murali, how about
                                      > > the Yamaha PCI sound card info? > I am sure Goswami has lot of tips
                                      > > to contribute too.

                                      Other suggestions -

                                      1. Closing open relays on a server (sendmail and qmail) - I can
                                      provide that

                                      2. Mounting vfat partitions properly to be accessible from Linux

                                      3. A list of basic Unix commands (some chap was asking what rm -rf
                                      meant, on the Linux India list).

                                      4. Some standard unix tools like setting finger info (.plan and
                                      .project), overview of some basic shells etc etc. A basic Unix tutorial

                                      There's something called the JLG by joshuago@... (Joshua Go)
                                      and is available at http://www.local.net/~jgo/ in html form or as a
                                      complete .tar.gz file

                                      This is a fantastic collection of tutorials on installing and using Linux,
                                      setting up http / ftp / ethernet etc, etc.

                                      It also has solns for most problems (incl Yamaha OPL3 sound card)

                                      I am asking his permission to mirror the manual entirely, or better
                                      still, offer it as a .tar.gz file for download from ilug-hyd.org

                                      I hope this meets with the list's approval. I personally found this
                                      guy's manual fantastic

                                      Suresh Ramasubramanian
                                      106D, Aditya Enclave, Ameerpet, Hyderabad 500038, India.
                                      Phone: +(91-40)3736553/3745398 | eFax: +(1-603)590-5437
                                      Suresh@... | Suresh@...
                                      http://www.kcircle.com | http://www.angen.net/~pegasus/
                                      Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind
                                      is beer. I grant that the wheel was also a fine invention,
                                      but a wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.