Re: [TwinCLinG] Req Help on Apache Hosting

    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 10, 2003
      Anandh G writes on 12/10/2003 8:47 PM:

      > My requirement is i am having 5 Global IP. So, i can assign 5 IPs to 5 websites and 3 sites on virtual hosting. I need to know how to make configure in httpd.conf for all the 8 websites.
      > I tried searching google and had not got with better solution.
      > I need your guidance please.

      Bind all 5 of them onto the same IP. Read the apache virtual hosting docs.

      httpd.apache.org has lots of examples you can use.
    • Raghuram Vijapurapu
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 10, 2003
        *[Anandh G on Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 05:47:13PM -0800]:
        > Hello i am new to this group. I want your help on hosting websites on Apache.
        > I have 8 web sites to be configured in my Apache server.
        > At present we have a Win NT box which functions as web server with thoes 8 sites.
        > We have a mail server which also acts as a DNS.And this DNS forwards the www request to our web server.
        > I have to migrate the web server from Win NT(IIS) to Linux box(Apache).
        > My requirement is i am having 5 Global IP. So, i can assign 5 IPs to 5 websites and 3 sites on virtual hosting. I need to know how to make configure in httpd.conf for all the 8 websites.
        > I tried searching google and had not got with better solution.
        > I need your guidance please.
        > If possible can you show me and link regarding this.

        I suggest you to read the apache manual, its quite self explainatory.
        Read the section Virtual Hosts. Read the httpd.conf file in your
        machine, it usually has the required configuration in place, all you
        would need to do is remove the '#' and make necessary modifications.

        Ram.

        --
        -----------------------RAGHURAM VIJAPURAPU------------------------
        (p)vijapurapu(at)gmx.net::(o)ram(at)sentrybay.com::+64-21-189-7647
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 10, 2003
          On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 17:47:35 -0800 (PST)
          Anandh G <anandhglinux@...> wrote:

          > My requirement is i am having 5 Global IP. So, i can assign 5 IPs to 5
          > websites and 3 sites on virtual hosting. I need to know how to make configure

          I suppose you assigned all the 5 ips to the same machine. You can bind the
          virtual hosts to specific IP address and/or to all the IP addresses. A very
          simple config for a virtual host is pasted below.

          NameVirtualHost *
          <VirtualHost *>
          ServerAdmin webmaster@...
          DocumentRoot /var/www/foo/htdocs
          ServerName www.foo.com
          ErrorLog /var/log/apache/www.foo.com.error.log
          CustomLog /var/log/apache/www.foo.com.access.log common
          </VirtualHost>

          I wonder in such a scenario does having 1 ip or 5 ips make any difference.

          HTH,
          CCK./
        • Linux Sun
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 11, 2003
            Hai,

            Well i am also new 2 this group....
            well i can do help u out by providing u a better pdf files for these configuration for Apache Issue... Hope if u require it u can do make me a ring or send me a mail
            2 this emailid : sunmails2u@...

            I even got collection of other PDF's which may help u out... in getting
            the real stuff or which try 2 boost ur Linux Skills.....

            Ok that's all 4 Knw......

            BYeeeee
            Ur's Affly
            A.SANDEEP

            Anandh G <anandhglinux@...> wrote:
            Hello i am new to this group. I want your help on hosting websites on Apache.
            I have 8 web sites to be configured in my Apache server.
            At present we have a Win NT box which functions as web server with thoes 8 sites.
            We have a mail server which also acts as a DNS.And this DNS forwards the www request to our web server.
            I have to migrate the web server from Win NT(IIS) to Linux box(Apache).
            My requirement is i am having 5 Global IP. So, i can assign 5 IPs to 5 websites and 3 sites on virtual hosting. I need to know how to make configure in httpd.conf for all the 8 websites.
            I tried searching google and had not got with better solution.
            I need your guidance please.
            If possible can you show me and link regarding this.
            Thank You.
            Anandh G

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          • Raghuram Vijapurapu
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 11, 2003
              *[Linux Sun on Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 02:01:09AM -0800]:
              > Hai,
              >
              > Well i am also new 2 this group....
              > well i can do help u out by providing u a better pdf files for these configuration for Apache Issue... Hope if u require it u can do make me a ring or send me a mail
              > 2 this emailid : sunmails2u@...
              >
              > I even got collection of other PDF's which may help u out... in getting
              > the real stuff or which try 2 boost ur Linux Skills.....

              Have you ever tried localhost on your browser running on Linux?

              If you do so, I am sure you will know what I mean. You dont need any
              other PDF file or something. Use the HTML documentation and its quite
              eloborate.

              Ram.

              > Ok that's all 4 Knw......
              >
              > BYeeeee
              > Ur's Affly
              > A.SANDEEP
              >

              > Anandh G <anandhglinux@...> wrote:
              > Hello i am new to this group. I want your help on hosting websites on Apache.
              > I have 8 web sites to be configured in my Apache server.
              > At present we have a Win NT box which functions as web server with thoes 8 sites.
              > We have a mail server which also acts as a DNS.And this DNS forwards the www request to our web server.
              > I have to migrate the web server from Win NT(IIS) to Linux box(Apache).
              > My requirement is i am having 5 Global IP. So, i can assign 5 IPs to 5 websites and 3 sites on virtual hosting. I need to know how to make configure in httpd.conf for all the 8 websites.
              > I tried searching google and had not got with better solution.
              > I need your guidance please.
              > If possible can you show me and link regarding this.
              > Thank You.
              > Anandh G

              > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              -----------------------RAGHURAM VIJAPURAPU------------------------
              (p)vijapurapu(at)gmx.net::(o)ram(at)sentrybay.com::+64-21-189-7647
              http://www.livejournal.com/~rvijapurapu:http://rvjprp.blogspot.com
              --------------------http://www.viralock.com/----------------------
            • Anandh G
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 11, 2003
                Thank you for all of them who replied for me.
                I am now aware of Virtual hosting. But me actual
                problem was, since i have a DNS server which is on
                another machine, i want to know how do I configure my
                machine such that the request from DNS comes to my
                Apache web server.

                I have 5 IP addresses assigned to my interface and if
                i simply assign the 5 IPs to the 5 web sites, does
                the configuration is over or is there any other thing
                i need to do regarding network configuration.

                Since i am a newbie, i am just practicing myself and i
                am intrested in configure myself. SO plz bare with me.

                Thank You
                AnandhG

                http://photos.yahoo.com/
              • Chandrakanth Chereddi
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 11, 2003
                  On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 20:43:05 -0800 (PST)
                  Anandh G <anandhglinux@...> wrote:

                  > I have 5 IP addresses assigned to my interface and if
                  > i simply assign the 5 IPs to the 5 web sites, does
                  > the configuration is over or is there any other thing
                  > i need to do regarding network configuration.

                  Hmmm, I think you can do better than this, may be you can set up a "Round Robin"
                  DNS and bind the sites to all the 5 ips. Then set up a virtual host server to
                  listen on all the IPs for all the sites. This means that you can access any site
                  from any of the 5 ips. At later date you can do load balancing with this when
                  you have more than 1 machine, though this means that you are servicing mostly
                  static content.

                  Please read more about the technologies and then ask any specific question you
                  might have, which the list will be glad to answer.

                  HTH,
                  CCK./
                • Binand Sethumadhavan
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 11, 2003
                    On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 08:43:05PM -0800, Anandh G wrote:
                    > I am now aware of Virtual hosting. But me actual
                    > problem was, since i have a DNS server which is on
                    > another machine, i want to know how do I configure my
                    > machine such that the request from DNS comes to my
                    > Apache web server.

                    No DNS server (in usual configurations, anyway) make requests to Apache
                    servers.

                    > I have 5 IP addresses assigned to my interface and if
                    > i simply assign the 5 IPs to the 5 web sites, does
                    > the configuration is over or is there any other thing
                    > i need to do regarding network configuration.

                    That is a colossal waste of IP addresses; you probably don't need to do
                    that unless you are hosting SSL sites.

                    Just assign one IP address to your apache server. Configure all your
                    sites as name based virtual hosts. In your DNS server, set all these
                    sites to point to the same IP address. Something like:

                    www.foo.com. IN A 192.168.110.1
                    www.bar.net. IN A 192.168.110.1
                    www.baz.org. IN A 192.168.110.1

                    In Apache, apart from the default stuff, have:

                    NameVirtualHosts *
                    <VirtualHost *>
                    ServerName www.foo.com
                    DocumentRoot /home/websites/foo.com
                    </VirtualHost>
                    <VirtualHost *>
                    ServerName www.bar.net
                    DocumentRoot /home/websites/bar.net
                    </VirtualHost>
                    <VirtualHost *>
                    ServerName www.baz.org
                    DocumentRoot /home/websites/baz.org
                    </VirtualHost>

                    (Add other apache directives to taste).

                    Binand
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 12, 2003
                      Chandrakanth Chereddi writes on 12/12/2003 1:15 AM:

                      > Hmmm, I think you can do better than this, may be you can set up a "Round Robin"
                      > DNS and bind the sites to all the 5 ips. Then set up a virtual host server to

                      They are listening on a single host = no bloody use doing round robin,
                      and it only messes up your logs.

                      Keep the 4 IPs in reserve .. or maybe use one of them for your https
                      server (always good to have that on a separate IP), one of them for your
                      mailserver etc.

                      srs