Re: [TwinCLinG] About bar codes

  • Raghuram Vijapurapu
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 30, 2003
      Just a quick pointer, there is a toolkit available for reading barcodes.
      Probably Mr. Jain would like to have a look at it:

      http://www.softeksoftware.co.uk/linux.html

      Further, if you want to develop some code or wrapper over it, it would
      be a *good_thing*.

      Ram.

      *[Dr. Atul Negi on Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 11:43:51AM +0800]:
      > On 29 Nov 2003 ilughyd@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      >
      > Message: 3
      > Date: 29 Nov 2003 14:50:30 +0530
      > From: suman <mansu@...>
      > Subject: Re: Query over Barcode...
      >
      > On Tue, 2003-11-25 at 13:28, Vardhman Jain wrote:
      > > Hi,
      > > Has any one tried to develop a barcode read/write using application. I
      > > want to try one. Can some one tell me if i require some special hardware
      > > for writing reading barcode or a simple printer can print the code. Also
      > > is a simple scanner sufficient for scanning the code. I heard that some
      > > software are available for generating the barcode number jpeg, please
      > > confirm if this is possible.
      > >
      > > vardhman
      > i donno of anyone which can actually read a barcode on linux but there
      > is a software called kbarcode which generates barcode slips which can be
      > then attached to books.
      > but i never tried it.
      > -suman
      >
      > I can support anybody who would like to develop something like reading
      > a bar code. My support will be at the image processing level.
      > Basically you need to scan the barcode using a 200 dpi scanner,
      > it depends on the smallest dimension of the bars to be read.
      >
      > All you have to do is to write code for a good edge detection method.
      > (such code also exists, just google for it.) Each edge which you
      > get in the image is one side of your bars. You need to count
      > the distances between the edges to know whether its a thick bar
      > or a thin bar. To be sure you can also get the size of the whitespace
      > between the bars. Further knowledge of the bar code structure
      > is needed and then you have some thing functional.
      >
      > Good luck.

      > Atul NEGI, Ph.D.
      > Office: Room M209
      > Dept. of Computer & Information Sciences, University of Hyderabad,
      > Gachibowli, HYDERABAD, 500 046 INDIA
      > Office: 91-040-23010 500 x 4031
      > Home: 91-040-23010 343
      > FAX: 91-040-23010 145, 91-040-23010 120
      > EMAIL: atulcs@..., atul-negi@...
      > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

      -----------------------RAGHURAM VIJAPURAPU------------------------
      (p)vijapurapu(at)gmx.net::(o)ram(at)sentrybay.com::+64-21-189-7647
      http://www.livejournal.com/~rvijapurapu:http://rvjprp.blogspot.com
      --------------------http://www.viralock.com/----------------------
    • Vardhman Jain
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2003
        Raghuram Vijapurapu wrote:
        > Just a quick pointer, there is a toolkit available for reading barcodes.
        > Probably Mr. Jain would like to have a look at it:
        >
        > http://www.softeksoftware.co.uk/linux.html
        >
        > Further, if you want to develop some code or wrapper over it, it would
        > be a *good_thing*.
        >
        > Ram.
        >
        > *[Dr. Atul Negi on Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 11:43:51AM +0800]:
        >
        >>On 29 Nov 2003 ilughyd@yahoogroups.com wrote:
        >>
        >> Message: 3
        >> Date: 29 Nov 2003 14:50:30 +0530
        >> From: suman <mansu@...>
        >> Subject: Re: Query over Barcode...
        >>
        >> On Tue, 2003-11-25 at 13:28, Vardhman Jain wrote:
        >> > Hi,
        >> > Has any one tried to develop a barcode read/write using application. I
        >> > want to try one. Can some one tell me if i require some special hardware
        >> > for writing reading barcode or a simple printer can print the code. Also
        >> > is a simple scanner sufficient for scanning the code. I heard that some
        >> > software are available for generating the barcode number jpeg, please
        >> > confirm if this is possible.
        >> >
        >> > vardhman
        >> i donno of anyone which can actually read a barcode on linux but there
        >> is a software called kbarcode which generates barcode slips which can be
        >> then attached to books.
        >> but i never tried it.
        >> -suman
        >>
        >>I can support anybody who would like to develop something like reading
        >>a bar code. My support will be at the image processing level.
        >>Basically you need to scan the barcode using a 200 dpi scanner,
        >>it depends on the smallest dimension of the bars to be read.
        >>
        >>All you have to do is to write code for a good edge detection method.
        >>(such code also exists, just google for it.) Each edge which you
        >>get in the image is one side of your bars. You need to count
        >>the distances between the edges to know whether its a thick bar
        >>or a thin bar. To be sure you can also get the size of the whitespace
        >>between the bars. Further knowledge of the bar code structure
        >>is needed and then you have some thing functional.
        >>
        >>Good luck.
        >>
        >>*********************************************************************
        >>Atul NEGI, Ph.D.
        >>Office: Room M209
        >>Dept. of Computer & Information Sciences, University of Hyderabad,
        >>Gachibowli, HYDERABAD, 500 046 INDIA
        >>Office: 91-040-23010 500 x 4031
        >>Home: 91-040-23010 343
        >>FAX: 91-040-23010 145, 91-040-23010 120
        >>EMAIL: atulcs@..., atul-negi@...

        Thanks for the url it solved my problem.

        vardhman