Re: [TwinCLinG] Opera Browser

    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 4 10:22 PM
      On Sun, 5 Oct 2003, K. Ghosh wrote:

      > Anyone used Opera ? Great browser. Get it from www.opera.com. Good
      > replacement for Mozilla.
      > -K.Ghosh

      Not bad at all - but I prefer Firebird. The latest firebird is far
      smaller than mozilla - much leaner and faster, renders pages better ...
      and there are builds with xft and gtk2 for linux, which simply rocks.
    • K. Ghosh
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 5 1:36 AM
      • phanikumar@cbit.ac.in
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 5 6:09 AM
          I think it is not an opensource product

          > Anyone used Opera ? Great browser. Get it from www.opera.com. Good
          > replacement for Mozilla.
          > -K.Ghosh

        • Vamsee Krishna
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 5 6:27 AM
            yep, not opensource...what more, it eats away the bandwidth with those
            funky ads...That's the main reason why I switched to Firebird. Also, Opera
            crashes when too many tabs are opened.

            --
            Happy Hacking!!!

            Documentation is like sex. When it is good, it is good, good, good. If it's bad, it's better than having nothing.
          • suman
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 5 11:14 AM
              On Sun, 2003-10-05 at 18:57, Vamsee Krishna wrote:
              > yep, not opensource...what more, it eats away the bandwidth with those
              > funky ads...That's the main reason why I switched to Firebird. Also, Opera
              > crashes when too many tabs are opened.
              not opensource but based on opensource QT so i think we can respect
              that.I have been using it since 2 weeks on my laptop and as i use KDE it
              loads faster than mozilla but havent tried frebird.
              But it is much faster than my mozilla.
              Ne way i'm planning to switch to firebird as those ads eataway a lot of
              b/w but on the whole
              we can rate the browsers as follows
              firebird
              opera
              mozilla
              maybe links shud be here;) and IE
              -suman
            • satyajit dixit
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 5 9:57 PM
                slightly OT but anyone tried konqueror 3.2cvs
                after the safari merge, it simply rocks.

                also there are lots of broken MS-HTML pages up there,
                and that is where konqueror scores, rendering them as
                well as IE. the mozilla browsers dont handle the
                broken stuff that well.

                --- suman <mansu@...> wrote: > On Sun, 2003-10-05

                =====
                --
                the only thing constant is change

                Go to http://yahoo.shaadi.com
              • Y Giridhar Appaji Nag
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 5 11:37 PM
                  Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
                  > On Sun, 5 Oct 2003, K. Ghosh wrote:
                  >
                  >> Anyone used Opera ? Great browser. Get it from www.opera.com. Good
                  >> replacement for Mozilla.

                  Yea, good one, but I think I don't like the ads that it shows up :-)

                  > Not bad at all - but I prefer Firebird. The latest firebird is far
                  > smaller than mozilla - much leaner and faster, renders pages better
                  > ... and there are builds with xft and gtk2 for linux, which simply
                  > rocks.

                  I like a lot of features provided by Firebird. I have been using it
                  on Linux as well as Windows. AFAIK, it is the only browser other than
                  IE that supports the stupid NTLM authentication ;-). MF has also got
                  hazaar plugins and extensions like the google toolbar, and others
                  that make my browsing more efficient. I think I have started liking
                  MF a lot.

                  Giridhar

                  --
                  Y Giridhar Appaji Nag Giridhar.Nag(@t)ubinetics[.]co.in

                  Not throwing out the baby with the bath-water doesn't mean that
                  you cannot improve the system. I'm only arguing against stupid
                  people who think they need a revolution to improve - most real
                  improvements are evolutionary. - Linus Torvalds

                  an individual are not necessarily those of UbiNetics
                • Y Giridhar Appaji Nag
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 5 11:41 PM
                    satyajit dixit wrote:
                    > slightly OT but anyone tried konqueror 3.2cvs
                    > after the safari merge, it simply rocks.

                    I sometimes use the Konq. on Debian stable. But somehow, I don't
                    like the rendering of Konq. a lot. But I think Konq. is cool as a
                    file manager :-)

                    > also there are lots of broken MS-HTML pages up there,
                    > and that is where konqueror scores, rendering them as
                    > well as IE. the mozilla browsers dont handle the
                    > broken stuff that well.

                    Hmmm, I am on this side of World Domination ;-) so I prefer to
                    bend standards the way *I* want to and not the way MS would like
                    to :P.

                    Giridhar

                    --
                    Y Giridhar Appaji Nag Giridhar.Nag(@t)ubinetics[.]co.in

                    Not throwing out the baby with the bath-water doesn't mean that
                    you cannot improve the system. I'm only arguing against stupid
                    people who think they need a revolution to improve - most real
                    improvements are evolutionary. - Linus Torvalds

                    an individual are not necessarily those of UbiNetics
                  • Ramanan V
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 6 9:40 AM
                      Nope , Firebird is an independent branch. It does not
                      depend on mozilla.

                      I do hope you are checking out the gtk2 or xft
                      builds...If you want AA on the linux version you'll
                      need to use those builds

                      Ramanan

                      > Downloading Firebird now. One doubt, does firebird
                      > require Mozilla to be
                      > present, as in Galeon ? I would like to remove
                      > Mozilla totally from my
                      > hdd, to free up some space.
                      >
                      > -K.Ghosh

                      http://shopping.yahoo.com
                    • K. Ghosh
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 6 12:20 PM

                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 6 4:06 PM
                          On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 09:40:07 -0700 (PDT)
                          Ramanan V <kandalfus@...> wrote:

                          > Nope , Firebird is an independent branch. It does not
                          > depend on mozilla.
                          >
                          > I do hope you are checking out the gtk2 or xft
                          > builds...If you want AA on the linux version you'll
                          > need to use those builds
                          >
                          > Ramanan

                          MozillaFirebird 0.6.1 is up and running.
                          Checked out with some screenshots from morphix.sourceforge.net for both MF and Opera.

                          MF takes lot of time (~30-40 Secs)to connect to morphix.sourceforge.net
                          but once connected, downloads are around 3.5KB/s (on dialup). Whereas Opera
                          connects instantly (hardly 5 Secs) and the download speed is same. So,
                          overall speed for Opera is higher. Checked up with www.debianplanet.org also, same.

                          Checked 5 screenshots of morphix and then went backwards and forwards.
                          With Opera, it was like flipping the pages of a book, whereas, MF took
                          up lot of disk activity for each page. This was my main problem with Mozilla also.

                          I have installed MF under /opt and cd to /opt and run ./MozillaFirebird.
                          Am I missing something which is causing MF to crawl ?

                          -K.Ghosh
                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 6 5:51 PM
                            K. Ghosh [10/7/2003 4:36 AM] :

                            > MF takes lot of time (~30-40 Secs)to connect to morphix.sourceforge.net
                            > but once connected, downloads are around 3.5KB/s (on dialup). Whereas Opera
                            > connects instantly (hardly 5 Secs) and the download speed is same. So,
                            > overall speed for Opera is higher. Checked up with www.debianplanet.org also, same.

                            Download the latest nightly build -
                            ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firebird/nightly/ - that might help.
                          • Y Giridhar Appaji Nag
                            Message 13 of 13 , Oct 7 12:03 AM
                              K. Ghosh wrote:
                              > MF takes lot of time (~30-40 Secs)to connect to
                              > morphix.sourceforge.net but once connected, downloads are around
                              > 3.5KB/s (on dialup). Whereas Opera connects instantly (hardly 5 Secs)

                              Ummmmm. I wonder if it is because of a cached result of the DNS lookup
                              being used by the Opera. Is the result same if you do it the other way
                              round? as in, Opera first and then MF? Do you have a local caching DNS
                              server?

                              > Checked 5 screenshots of morphix and then went backwards and forwards.
                              > With Opera, it was like flipping the pages of a book, whereas, MF took
                              > up lot of disk activity for each page. This was my main problem with
                              > Mozilla also.

                              Why don't you tune the memory parameters for caching pages in MF and see
                              I think it uses very basic defaults.

                              Did you also check the RSS of both these browsers using Top when they are
                              doing the page loading etc. / refreshing etc.?

                              > I have installed MF under /opt and cd to /opt and run
                              > ./MozillaFirebird. Am I missing something which is causing MF to
                              > crawl ?

                              I forgot how I run it. I do a "Ctrl+R Moz" and Enter ;-). I am not sure
                              but is there some .sh script in there? why don't you try that one?

                              Giridhar