[TwinCLinG] using ssh without password

  • Vardhman
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 4, 2003
      Hi all,
      I want to use ssh without password prompting, i.e just ssh in to some
      machine and get the output of a command(which is fixed).
      I read the man pages of ssh and tried to use the
      $HOME/.ssh/autorized_keys file, by copying the content of my
      $HOME/.ssh/identity.pub in to that file in the remote host. But it did
      ask for a password when I tried to login to machine(i gave the command
      ssh -l user host). Is there some mistake in my approach?

      Plz let me know.

      vardhman
    • Binand Sethumadhavan
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 5, 2003
        On Fri, Jul 04, 2003 at 06:47:48PM +0530, Vardhman wrote:
        > $HOME/.ssh/autorized_keys file, by copying the content of my
        > $HOME/.ssh/identity.pub in to that file in the remote host. But it did
        > ask for a password when I tried to login to machine(i gave the command
        > ssh -l user host). Is there some mistake in my approach?

        For openssh, the filename on the server is ~/.ssh/authorized_keys.

        Don't put a passphrase-less public key into root's .ssh.

        Binand