files with holes.........??????????

  • Atul Tyagi
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 27, 2003
      Hi Guys,

      Can any body help me with....
      What do u mean by files with holes..............?
      I tried searching the net but ...........:(

      Atul Tyagi

    • gnuvvekaavaali
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 27, 2003
        Files with holes are created when you
        use lseek to skip forward to another location
        and write something. There is a hole in the middle
        now. In older file systems, this space was actually
        present on the disk and was filled with zeros.

        But in newer file systems, called extent based file
        systems, space is saved by only storing the
        parts of the file which have data, as an
        extent (offset into the file + length of the extent,
        and the data).

        Image files and the like are sparse and have lots of
        holes. Extent based file systems will save a lot
        of disk space for such "files with holes". Access to
        the data of a large file with lot of space occupied by
        holes, is faster in extent based file systems.

        - GK

        --- In ilughyd@yahoogroups.com, Atul Tyagi <honey260379@y...> wrote:
        > Hi Guys,
        >
        > Can any body help me with....
        > What do u mean by files with holes..............?
        > I tried searching the net but ...........:(
        >
        > Atul Tyagi

        > Tyagi Atul, Ph: +91-120-2630876,Mob: 9810413189, 10/24, Sector-3,
        Rajinder Nagar, Sahibabad, Ghaziabad,U.P. 201005, INDIA.

      • Sitaram Chamarty
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 29, 2003
          A simple demo would be something like this:

          mkdir test
          cd test
          du -sk . # should show just a few blocks
          dd if=/dev/zero of=junk bs=1024k seek=20 count=2
          ls -al junk # about 22 MB!
          du -sk . # about 2 MB only!

          As you can see, the directory is only about 2MB total, but it contains a
          file that "ls" shows is 22MB in size! It's the "seek" that does this,
          of course.

          Sita

          On 27-Jun-2003 9:31 PM, gnuvvekaavaali wrote:
          > Files with holes are created when you
          > use lseek to skip forward to another location
          > and write something. There is a hole in the middle
          > now. In older file systems, this space was actually
          > present on the disk and was filled with zeros.
          >
          > But in newer file systems, called extent based file
          > systems, space is saved by only storing the
          > parts of the file which have data, as an
          > extent (offset into the file + length of the extent,
          > and the data).
          >
          > Image files and the like are sparse and have lots of
          > holes. Extent based file systems will save a lot
          > of disk space for such "files with holes". Access to
          > the data of a large file with lot of space occupied by
          > holes, is faster in extent based file systems.
          >
          > - GK
          >

          > --- In ilughyd@yahoogroups.com, Atul Tyagi <honey260379@y...> wrote:
          >
          >>Hi Guys,
          >>
          >>Can any body help me with....
          >>What do u mean by files with holes..............?
          >>I tried searching the net but ...........:(
          >>
          >>Atul Tyagi

          >>Tyagi Atul, Ph: +91-120-2630876,Mob: 9810413189, 10/24, Sector-3,
          >
          > Rajinder Nagar, Sahibabad, Ghaziabad,U.P. 201005, INDIA.

          Sitaram

          Almost nothing in Perl serves a single purpose. --Larry Wall in
          <199712040054.QAA13811@...>