      From: "K.C. Ramakrishna" <kcramakrishna@...>
      To: ilugc@..., ilughyd@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, June 3, 2009 1:26:24 PM GMT +05:30 Chennai, Kolkata, Mumbai, New Delhi
      Subject: [TwinCLinG] [OT] Safer domain search

      Hi all,

      I have been searching for a domain name for a new service we were planning to launch. I shortlisted a few good ones which were available and went back to register them the next week. To my surprise, I found them not available. These are not common names - they are very specific to a niche service and I doubted that somebody else would have thought the of same names at the exact same time.

      On googling, I found that Network solutions and some other registrars do something called 'front-running' where they basically block all domain names that were searched for and force you to pay more.

      There is a work around to this - Use
      http://instantdomainsearch.com/
      http://www.saferwhois.com/

      Hope this helps somebody.