18994Re: [TwinCLinG] Query

  • sainath
    Oct 5, 2006
      Hi,

      After `make` u have to issue a `make modules` command which will
      build all loadable modules and copy them to /lib/modules/2.6.12
      directory. after that create kernel image and copy it to boot
      directory and edit boot loader configuration file, u r done.

      --- In ilughyd@yahoogroups.com, Sivaram <sivaramprasadp@...> wrote:

      > On 10/1/06, Suman Karumuri <mansuk@...> wrote:
      > >

      > > On 10/1/06, papisetti shasi kala <shasi_ice@...> wrote:
      > > > hi,
      > > > can anybody please help me in solving my problem.I have
      downloaded linux 2.6.12.tar.gz kernel file and tried to install it on
      my sytem.i did a make and then make install here i encountered a
      problem /lib/modules/2.6.12 is not available. so i made mkdir
      /lib/modules/2.6.12 n made a make install again.now i got it.but when
      i typed the command uname -r i could int see my kerenel 2.6.12 only
      the previous one 2.6.11-FC4 is there.

      > > I think you are compiling the kernel the wrong way. Did you do a make
      > > install after doing make dep etc..? If you are getting strange errors,
      > > the best way is to start from scratch, while following a tutorial
      > > online.
      > >
      > > -Suman
      >
      > Might seem a little silly to ask this, but did you modify your boot
      > loader and reboot the system selecting the new kernel?
      > BTW IIRC 2.6 kernels dont need make dep.

    • Show all 19 messages in this topic