Re: [Illuminati New World Order] Please?

  • Björn Lagerström
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 8, 2005
      And a munchkin I am. =D

      /Bjorne

      "I'll do anything to win, tralalala."

      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 10, 2005
        Hi Leviticus,
        well, I guess I'm a munchkin too. Like Björne. :)

        >A REAL player can win with a so-called weaker deck, if he has the
        >guts, the subtlety, and the brains.

        At the risk of inviting more SENTENCES IN CAPS, this strikes me as
        slightly naive. IMO, there are definately decks that are just too
        weak to win (I could build you one in 2 minutes :). Similarly there
        are decks that are very very strong.

        Consider this beautiful (but not perfect) classic:
        1 Bavaria.
        7 group deck: New York, Mafia, Clone Arrangers, Cyborg Soldiers,
        Cyborg Soldiers, Cyborg Soldiers, Flying Saucer.
        36 plot deck: 36 SMWNMTK.

        Lead: NY.
        Turn One: ATO Mafia. Bavaria token to ATO Saucer. Discard from deck
        to ATO Cyborgs (on NY).
        Turn Two: ATO Clone Arrangers as puppets of NY. Bavaria token to ATO
        Cyborgs for Clone Arrangers. Discard from deck to ATO Cyborgs on
        Mafia.
        With NYs special ability, thats 50 power on turn 2.

        Plus you can cancel 4 plot plays with discards from deck on turn 1.
        And you can cancel 2 more on turn 2.

        Mind you, I'd NEVER play this deck.
        But if nothing bounces, it is sickeningly powerful.

        Cheers
        Martin :)
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 10, 2005
          Degenerate decks are easy, if you have the cards to build one.

          Yes, there ARE decks that are too weak to win, but there are also
          decks that are deceptively strong (they look weak in the beginning,
          but become Powerful as the game goes along).

          Sure some of my decks could use some fine tuning, but that's why I
          prefer to put them in Geocities rather than post them here, so I can
          make changes as I feel necessary.

          And some of these decks are really not meant for tournament play,
          anyway. However, some of them CAN be, with a little fine tuning. I
          think you're quick to dismiss them all because they don't contain
          Assassins or SubGenius cards. Your so-called Decks of the Week are
          evidence of that. I have yet to see ONE that's built on all cards
          from the original set.

          All I'm asking is you at least TRY some of them before dismissing
          them outright. Fine tune then as you see fit. You might be
          surprised.

          Fnord.

          *Leviticus Darksyde*
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 11, 2005
            Yes, I've looked at your decks.

            Look, nobody is taking a swing at you here.
            Björne merely said that where he usually plays, he wouldn't want to
            show up with one of your decks _as printed_. The same goes for me.

            Nobody said that they sucked, that the themes weren't cool, or that
            they couldn't be tweaked to fit different environments.
            And I quite like reading a cool themed deck.

            >Yes, there ARE decks that are too weak to win, but there are also
            >decks that are deceptively strong (they look weak in the beginning,
            >but become Powerful as the game goes along).

            And I was just saying that power is a relative thing.
            Your chances do depend on what your opponents show up with.
            If anyone shows up with a turn 3 winner, there may not be time
            for 'the game to go along'.

            >I think you're quick to dismiss them all because they don't contain
            >Assassins or SubGenius cards.

            I'm merely saying that with more options (i.e. cards) comes more
            power. For example, doing a place deck is a _lot_ easier with
            assassins cards.
            It is also worth noting that there are some cards in the later sets
            that you need to be aware of _if_ you play against decks that might
            include them. (For example, Assassins has 2 yellow NWOs that hurt
            corporate decks).

            >Your so-called Decks of the Week are evidence of that. I have yet
            >to see ONE that's built on all cards from the original set.

            Why would I restrict myself from available cards?
            The DotW is about interesting legal decks.
            Someone else might submit a deck with just the basic set, and it
            might become a DotW winner, but I don't create such decks myself.
            But as DotWs are supposed to be playable in the current legal
            environment, such decks need to be aware of any "crippler" cards.

            BTW, if you want to see inspiring basic set decks, you could visit
            the DotW archive. The first 20 or so decks use strictly cards from
            the basic set.

            Enjoy.
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 11, 2005
              Thanks for clearing that up.

              But one thing I keep saying, these decks are not written in stone.
              If you have Assassins/SubGenius cards that will make them better, go
              ahead and use them. I don't mind.

              Also, you're not restricted to how many Plots you can duplicate
              (you're not playing at my house). The only reason that rule is in
              place is because of the limited supply of cards I have. (You
              probably have more decks than I have cards). If you feel some Plots
              are more useful than others, duplicate them.

              I have an idea for a Communist/Green anti-Corporate deck, but it
              requires certain cards I don't have, so I can't build it (yet).

              My Ross Perot deck can be won in three turns or less if the right
              cards come up, but don't be dumb with the cards if the play's not
              there. Also, two of my UFO decks bring a lot of Power to the table,
              as does The Tobacco Lobby, and a revised Zurich deck I call The Money
              Deck. Each of these can be fine tuned to suit your style of play.
              And if you have x copies of The Stars Are Right, you can churn out
              all those Magic Resources in Technomagic without breaking a sweat.

              Sure, anyone can built a degenerate Bavaria deck with six or seven
              copies of New York. But I won't let them in my games. Why? Because
              that means they brought in outside cards, and I don't want them
              getting mixed up with my cards as the game progresses (During a game,
              card tend to change hands). It's a pain in the ass when the game is
              over, determining whose cards are whose. So we play with the one (2x)
              deck, where you can build your 45 card deck from. All you would have
              to do then is return the cards when the game is over.

              And sure, if I had the cards, I could show up with a deck full of
              SMWNMtK's, Hoaxes, Sorry, Wrong Numbers, and S & L Scams, but where's
              the fun in that? Sure it might be good for Tournament play if you're
              serious about winning that prize money, but if you're just playing at
              home with a group of friends, it takes all the fun out of it. And if
              the game isn't fun, what's the point?

              Fnord.

              *Leviticus Darksyde*