Please?

    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2005
      Hi all,
      as requested, Leviticus picked his 3 favourite deck.
      Could anyone (including Leviticus) please tell me which one deck you
      like the best?

      Please? I need this ASAP (or not at all).
      Take a look at the decks here - and post your favourite:
      http://www.geocities.com/leviticus_darksyde/techno.html
      http://www.geocities.com/leviticus_darksyde/booze.html
      http://www.geocities.com/leviticus_darksyde/podfather.html

      Thanks
      Martin
    • Björn Lagerström
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2005
        Okey, okey. I've looked at the decks. Wouldn't wanna play them, but
        the themes are pretty fun, so my vote goes to
        http://www.geocities.com/leviticus_darksyde/booze.html. As a teacher I
        can definitely relate to it.

        /Björn

        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 1, 2005
          Hi Björne :)
          So - you picked the Björne deck. Surprise surprise ;)
          Good enough for me.
          The deck will serve as a stand-in in the last semifinal of the
          Deckathon.
          If it wins the game, it will be awarded a Deck of the Week award.

          Thanks again :)
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 1, 2005
            --- In illuminatinewworldorder@yahoogroups.com, Björn Lagerström
            <rick.s.chris@g...> wrote:
            > Okey, okey. I've looked at the decks. Wouldn't wanna play them, but
            > the themes are pretty fun, so my vote goes to
            > http://www.geocities.com/leviticus_darksyde/booze.html. As a
            teacher I
            > can definitely relate to it.
            >
            > /Björn

            Do you see any you WOULD want to play? Just curious.

            Fnord.

            *Leviticus Darksyde*
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 7, 2005
              Hi Leviticus,

              Björn said, and you replied:
              >>Wouldn't wanna play them, but
              >Do you see any you WOULD want to play? Just curious.

              I think Björn means from a winning perspective.
              Your decks have great themes, but sometimes themes just don't win
              any games. In fact, the more themed card selection becomes, the less
              it is focused on brute power.

              Also, maybe he meant that going up against decks using all series,
              the decks would probably have a hard time. (And that is not meant to
              say that you _should_ use any more series).

              Keep up the good work,
              Martin :)
            • Björn Lagerström
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 7, 2005
                Exactly. I'm to used to be playing in tournaments in which you usually
                require 1 or 2 SMWNMTK and 1 or 2 S&LS. Without 'em, you're pretty
                much one step behind. So I usually end up doing decks that consists of
                40 cards, and then include my "base-set" of 5 cards, which usually is
                2 SMWNMTK, 1 S&LS, 1 Bulldada and 1 Sorry, Wrong Number. The last two
                usually used for defence. The S,WN most fo the time gives a +10 to all
                attacks that people wants to make on you, if they DON'T make them on
                you. Clever, huh? Just watch out for that attack to control, which can
                lead to a 2-group grab that is just the thing your opponent needs in
                order to win.

                /Bjorne

                On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 09:54:52 -0000, plasmoid_dk

                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 7, 2005
                  Interesting.

                  But as I keep telling you people, I CAN'T USE CARDS I DON'T HAVE. I
                  don't have Sorry, Wrong Number, so I can't use it.

                  And if you look closely, I do have plot cancelers in a good majority
                  of my decks. Plus, Gnomes of Bavaria does bring brute force to
                  bear. So do Illegal Aliens, and Ross Perot's Thirst for Power.

                  Truth be told, ANY MUNCHKIN CAN PLAY A POWER DECK. A REAL player can
                  win with a so-called weaker deck, if he has the guts, the subtlety,
                  and the brains. If you HAVE to play a power deck to win, then it's
                  the DECK that's winning, not YOU. If you can't win with a particular
                  deck, maybe the deck isn't the problem. In some cases, you have to
                  make deals with other players that will give you an advantage.
                  Sometimes you have to play weak and pathetic to get the other players
                  to underestimate you, and leave you alone to grow (just don't
                  overplay it, or you will be attacked). And don't forget, the nail
                  that sticks up gets hammered down. If you look too powerful, the
                  other players will combine against you.

                  If you can get the cards when you want them, fine, but DON'T BE DUMB
                  WITH THE CARDS IF THE PLAY'S NOT THERE! Mistakes can kill you just
                  as easily as a weak deck.

                  And, as I keep saying, THESE DECKS ARE NOT WRITTEN IN STONE. If you
                  need to make subtle changes to make the deck better, DO IT! Just
                  don't come crying to me that you can't win with a particular deck,
                  because I'll just laugh at you and call you a munchkin!

                  Fnord.

                  *Leviticus Darksyde*
                • Björn Lagerström
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 8, 2005
                    And a munchkin I am. =D

                    /Bjorne

                    "I'll do anything to win, tralalala."

                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 10, 2005
                      Hi Leviticus,
                      well, I guess I'm a munchkin too. Like Björne. :)

                      >A REAL player can win with a so-called weaker deck, if he has the
                      >guts, the subtlety, and the brains.

                      At the risk of inviting more SENTENCES IN CAPS, this strikes me as
                      slightly naive. IMO, there are definately decks that are just too
                      weak to win (I could build you one in 2 minutes :). Similarly there
                      are decks that are very very strong.

                      Consider this beautiful (but not perfect) classic:
                      1 Bavaria.
                      7 group deck: New York, Mafia, Clone Arrangers, Cyborg Soldiers,
                      Cyborg Soldiers, Cyborg Soldiers, Flying Saucer.
                      36 plot deck: 36 SMWNMTK.

                      Lead: NY.
                      Turn One: ATO Mafia. Bavaria token to ATO Saucer. Discard from deck
                      to ATO Cyborgs (on NY).
                      Turn Two: ATO Clone Arrangers as puppets of NY. Bavaria token to ATO
                      Cyborgs for Clone Arrangers. Discard from deck to ATO Cyborgs on
                      Mafia.
                      With NYs special ability, thats 50 power on turn 2.

                      Plus you can cancel 4 plot plays with discards from deck on turn 1.
                      And you can cancel 2 more on turn 2.

                      Mind you, I'd NEVER play this deck.
                      But if nothing bounces, it is sickeningly powerful.

                      Cheers
                      Martin :)
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 10, 2005
                        Degenerate decks are easy, if you have the cards to build one.

                        Yes, there ARE decks that are too weak to win, but there are also
                        decks that are deceptively strong (they look weak in the beginning,
                        but become Powerful as the game goes along).

                        Sure some of my decks could use some fine tuning, but that's why I
                        prefer to put them in Geocities rather than post them here, so I can
                        make changes as I feel necessary.

                        And some of these decks are really not meant for tournament play,
                        anyway. However, some of them CAN be, with a little fine tuning. I
                        think you're quick to dismiss them all because they don't contain
                        Assassins or SubGenius cards. Your so-called Decks of the Week are
                        evidence of that. I have yet to see ONE that's built on all cards
                        from the original set.

                        All I'm asking is you at least TRY some of them before dismissing
                        them outright. Fine tune then as you see fit. You might be
                        surprised.

                        Fnord.

                        *Leviticus Darksyde*
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 11, 2005
                          Yes, I've looked at your decks.

                          Look, nobody is taking a swing at you here.
                          Björne merely said that where he usually plays, he wouldn't want to
                          show up with one of your decks _as printed_. The same goes for me.

                          Nobody said that they sucked, that the themes weren't cool, or that
                          they couldn't be tweaked to fit different environments.
                          And I quite like reading a cool themed deck.

                          >Yes, there ARE decks that are too weak to win, but there are also
                          >decks that are deceptively strong (they look weak in the beginning,
                          >but become Powerful as the game goes along).

                          And I was just saying that power is a relative thing.
                          Your chances do depend on what your opponents show up with.
                          If anyone shows up with a turn 3 winner, there may not be time
                          for 'the game to go along'.

                          >I think you're quick to dismiss them all because they don't contain
                          >Assassins or SubGenius cards.

                          I'm merely saying that with more options (i.e. cards) comes more
                          power. For example, doing a place deck is a _lot_ easier with
                          assassins cards.
                          It is also worth noting that there are some cards in the later sets
                          that you need to be aware of _if_ you play against decks that might
                          include them. (For example, Assassins has 2 yellow NWOs that hurt
                          corporate decks).

                          >Your so-called Decks of the Week are evidence of that. I have yet
                          >to see ONE that's built on all cards from the original set.

                          Why would I restrict myself from available cards?
                          The DotW is about interesting legal decks.
                          Someone else might submit a deck with just the basic set, and it
                          might become a DotW winner, but I don't create such decks myself.
                          But as DotWs are supposed to be playable in the current legal
                          environment, such decks need to be aware of any "crippler" cards.

                          BTW, if you want to see inspiring basic set decks, you could visit
                          the DotW archive. The first 20 or so decks use strictly cards from
                          the basic set.

                          Enjoy.
                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 11, 2005
                            Thanks for clearing that up.

                            But one thing I keep saying, these decks are not written in stone.
                            If you have Assassins/SubGenius cards that will make them better, go
                            ahead and use them. I don't mind.

                            Also, you're not restricted to how many Plots you can duplicate
                            (you're not playing at my house). The only reason that rule is in
                            place is because of the limited supply of cards I have. (You
                            probably have more decks than I have cards). If you feel some Plots
                            are more useful than others, duplicate them.

                            I have an idea for a Communist/Green anti-Corporate deck, but it
                            requires certain cards I don't have, so I can't build it (yet).

                            My Ross Perot deck can be won in three turns or less if the right
                            cards come up, but don't be dumb with the cards if the play's not
                            there. Also, two of my UFO decks bring a lot of Power to the table,
                            as does The Tobacco Lobby, and a revised Zurich deck I call The Money
                            Deck. Each of these can be fine tuned to suit your style of play.
                            And if you have x copies of The Stars Are Right, you can churn out
                            all those Magic Resources in Technomagic without breaking a sweat.

                            Sure, anyone can built a degenerate Bavaria deck with six or seven
                            copies of New York. But I won't let them in my games. Why? Because
                            that means they brought in outside cards, and I don't want them
                            getting mixed up with my cards as the game progresses (During a game,
                            card tend to change hands). It's a pain in the ass when the game is
                            over, determining whose cards are whose. So we play with the one (2x)
                            deck, where you can build your 45 card deck from. All you would have
                            to do then is return the cards when the game is over.

                            And sure, if I had the cards, I could show up with a deck full of
                            SMWNMtK's, Hoaxes, Sorry, Wrong Numbers, and S & L Scams, but where's
                            the fun in that? Sure it might be good for Tournament play if you're
                            serious about winning that prize money, but if you're just playing at
                            home with a group of friends, it takes all the fun out of it. And if
                            the game isn't fun, what's the point?

                            Fnord.

                            *Leviticus Darksyde*