Re: Worthless Cards

    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 30, 2004
      > > maybe I was too harsh on Elvis. Then again, I've never in my
      many
      > > years of playing seen him used.

      I see him used in about every other Shangri-La deck. I don't think
      Elvis is that great of a card--he is functionally identical to Dan
      Quayle--but I do like cards that cancel Media actions, since Media
      groups are powerful, can power lots of cards, and need to be
      cancelled now and then. The Elvis/Church of Elvis combo is pretty
      potent--not just for Shangri-La, but a raw power deck (Church of
      Elvis has the highest "permanent" (note quotes) power save a
      Murphy's Law-ed OPEC); try making it Violent and doubling it, then
      playing Messiah on Elvis...

      If given a choice, I'd use Dan Quayle, or, more likely, Bigfoot. But
      the things already mentioned by other posters would preclude me from
      adding him to a useless deck.

      > > My problem with your suggestions is that they really have
      nothing
      > > do with Elvis. You can do all of that with any personality.
      > > For example, if Shangri-La wants a big personality, then a Nobel
      > and
      > > Necronomicon for the Grosse Magier does a better job.
      > >
      > > Also, while power 8 is neat, it is quite a weakness to have that
      > > power rely on a weak group, and a personality at that. A high-
      power
      > > group can defend itself very well, but if someone takes out a
      weak
      > > Elvis, then your power goes, and then the Church can be dealt
      with
      > > next.

      Point taken. Elvis is not much more than marginally useful without
      the Church of Elvis.

      > Going back to the Ollie North issue again: If you take the
      Reagans
      > out of the equation, there really isn't much Ollie can really do
      for
      > you. Ditto with Jimmy Hoffa. Without the CFL-AIO, he's pretty
      much
      > useless (unless you're playing an anti-Corporate deck against
      Zurich).

      Wha-wha-wha-what? Cancelling Corporate actions (or the threat
      thereof) is about the only thing that keeps games with the NPCs
      grinding to a halt.

      > Earthquake Projector isn't totally useless, but it's pretty weak.
      > You need two of them to really be effective. Good thing it's not
      > Unique.

      Remember: you can't use the same card twice in the same attack.
      About the only good thing Earthquake Projector can do is be used
      against Space places, which cannot be done with the Weather
      Satellite. The Earthquake disaster itself is pretty awful--I think
      it's a coaster, if I'm remembering correctly. The very least they
      could have done was say, "...or a +10 when used with Earthquake."

      > Counterspell: Is there a real reason to have it in your deck?
      Hex
      > works just as well (in most cases better), and doesn't require the
      > Resource to be used to attack you.

      It's slightly cheaper than Hex, but, you're right, it also required
      it be used against you. The cost is actually somewhat significant--
      most Magic groups have very weak power (only Stonehenge, Templars,
      and WITCH have 3+ Power). All told, though you're right--Hex is
      probably better all around.
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 2, 2004
        Hi Leviticus,

        >Going back to the Ollie North issue again: If you take the Reagans
        >out of the equation, there really isn't much Ollie can really do
        >for you. Ditto with Jimmy Hoffa. Without the CFL-AIO, he's pretty
        >much useless (unless you're playing an anti-Corporate deck against
        >Zurich).

        My point is:
        If you use Nancys ability to slurp Ronnie, and Nancy then bites it,
        you still got Ronald to show for your efforts.
        If Elvis comes into play, you get a bonus - but when he goes again,
        you having nothing to show for it.

        Cheers
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 2, 2004
          --- In illuminatinewworldorder@yahoogroups.com, plasmoid_dk
          <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > Hi Leviticus,
          >
          > >Going back to the Ollie North issue again: If you take the Reagans
          > >out of the equation, there really isn't much Ollie can really do
          > >for you. Ditto with Jimmy Hoffa. Without the CFL-AIO, he's pretty
          > >much useless (unless you're playing an anti-Corporate deck against
          > >Zurich).
          >
          > My point is:
          > If you use Nancys ability to slurp Ronnie, and Nancy then bites it,
          > you still got Ronald to show for your efforts.
          > If Elvis comes into play, you get a bonus - but when he goes again,
          > you having nothing to show for it.
          >
          > Cheers
          > Martin

          I think you meant Ollie, not Nancy, since that was the subject, but I
          see your point. That is the problem with co-dependent cards (such as
          Elvis and the Church of Elvis). If you lose one, the other becomes
          useless. I still feel it's kind of hard to build a deck around Ollie
          North with so few Conservative Media. Using him to slurp Nancy
          Reagan (then having her slurp Ronnie) is a neat trick if you can do
          it, though.

          Fnord.

          *Leviticus Darksyde*
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 2, 2004
            --- In illuminatinewworldorder@yahoogroups.com, smacinwo
            <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > > Earthquake Projector isn't totally useless, but it's pretty
            weak.
            > > You need two of them to really be effective. Good thing it's not
            > > Unique.
            >
            > Remember: you can't use the same card twice in the same attack.
            > About the only good thing Earthquake Projector can do is be used
            > against Space places, which cannot be done with the Weather
            > Satellite. The Earthquake disaster itself is pretty awful--I think
            > it's a coaster, if I'm remembering correctly. The very least they
            > could have done was say, "...or a +10 when used with Earthquake."

            Your mistake here is you cannot use the same PLOT card twice in the
            same attack. Earthquake Projector is a RESOURCE, and not a Unique
            one, so you CAN use two of them in the same attack (each has its own
            action, remember). If you can do it with Weather Satellite (and you
            can), you can do it with Earthquake Projector.

            It's called attention to detail.

            Fnord.

            *Leviticus Darksyde*