Bavarian Fire Drill deck - was Re: Dead dead dead

  • Tim Gatewood
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 22, 2004
      Dear Martin,

      Okay, it has taken me several minutes to back-trace this message
      topic to find this one message that spells out what the "BFD deck"
      is. (I thought it might be the Big F*ing Deck, but that is the One
      With Everything- grin.) For clarity's sake, maybe we could all agree
      to avoid using initials that refer back to messages from 7 months
      ago? Please !

      I called myself keeping up with all the rumors about INWO and
      Illuminati the game, and I had never heard of the Bavarian Fire Drill
      deck. It does appear that there is a new INWO-based deck coming out
      (see the SJ Games website) - but nothing is said about BFD. What can
      you tell us (me) about it?

      And, no, the game is not "dead" -- it just requires a certain
      awareness of politics for the satire to be meaningful, and a certain
      twisted mentality to get the jokes. In short, it is not for the
      average "rule player" gamer, nor for the MTV-generation computer
      gamer who expects lights, bells, whistles, and impossibly-built-yet-
      scantily-clad females in their games.

      -- Tim G in Memphis, the land of dead and living Kings and Pyramids,
      an Illuminati player since 1985 or so

      ***********
      --- In illuminatinewworldorder@yahoogroups.com, plasmoid_dk

      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 22, 2004
        > It does appear that there is a new INWO-based deck coming out
        > (see the SJ Games website) - but nothing is said about BFD. What
        can
        > you tell us (me) about it?

        The game promoted on the INWO home page is Illuminati: Crime Lords,
        which is not compatible with either Illuminati or INWO. It is
        designed as a standalone game, much like the horrid SubGenius, and
        it uses many of the same mechanics as Illuminati and INWO, but it is
        an entirely different game.

        There *is* a page for BFD, but it's less than informative:

        http://www.sjgames.com/inwo/bfd.html

        Also, Steve Jackson has gone on record stating that INWO is no
        longer being actively supported. Granted, Deluxe INWO came out after
        he said that, so perhaps the interest in Deluxe INWO will tell him
        whether it's worth releasing BFD. (Deluxe INWO is, in fact, out of
        print, and did so in what seems to be a short amount of time.
        Whether that is due to hightened interest or a simple clearing out
        of the existing stock, I don't know.)

        > And, no, the game is not "dead" -- it just requires a certain
        > awareness of politics for the satire to be meaningful, and a
        certain
        > twisted mentality to get the jokes. In short, it is not for the
        > average "rule player" gamer, nor for the MTV-generation computer
        > gamer who expects lights, bells, whistles, and impossibly-built-
        yet-
        > scantily-clad females in their games.

        I'll say it's one of the most intelligent games out there, and yet
        still fun...which might be part of its apparent lull. It's good
        social satire, but it can be dated, and the cards desperately need
        to be updated to keep it fresh. Unfortunately, the market draw
        of "updating" the cards is largely expensive for a game with such a
        dwindling fan base.

        Although I still expect impossible-built-yet-scandily-clad females
        in all of my games.
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 23, 2004
          Hi Smac,
          >Deluxe INWO is, in fact, out of print, and did so in what seems to
          >be a short amount of time.

          What? Aw man :/
          I recently sold an INWO article to Pyramid and decided to get paid
          in store credit just to get Deluxe INWO. Then they sat on my voucher
          for a few months, and now you're telling me it's out of print.
          *sigh*

          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 25, 2004
            <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > Hi again,
            > I went ahead and created a list of which CotSG cards I consider to
            be
            > worth keeping/translating. I posted it to the INWO list so as not
            > run the discussion in 2 places. I hope you are on the list too.
            >
            > Everyone is welcome to give feedback or create their own list.
            > If you are not on the inwo mailing list, then you can see past
            > messages here:
            > http://www.sjgames.com/pipermail/inwo-list/
            >
            > Cheers
            > Martin :)

            Thanks, Martin. I agree mostly with your choices with cards to keep,
            though personally I would just drop the SubGenius attribute and all
            cards that deal directly with just affecting SubGenius groups.

            "Translating" the cards are a bit harder than I thought, especially
            if we're trying to keep the same Power/Alignments/Attributes/etc. I
            have made a few changes, but not many, and I've noted these changes
            and other alternate ideas below the cards.

            I'm certainly not going to do each one--in fact, below are only six.
            I'll leave you all to do the others.) By no means are
            these "translations" all that good--I did it in about ten minutes
            pretty much off the top of my head--so please add your own ideas,
            changes, etc.

            ---

            Name: Roswell
            Type: Place
            Text: If an attack to destroy against this group succeeds, they are
            returned to the owning player's hand and do not count as destroyed.
            Alignments: None
            Attributes: Space
            Power: 5/5
            Resistance: 5
            Arrows: L, R, B

            [This was turned into a Place; the Xists are an Organization. This
            makes its large Power (this group has the largest Global Power for
            an Organization except for the Democrats) a little bit weaker,
            though quite frankly it's still out of proportion. I would lower it
            to maybe 3/3 and give it an actual useful ability.]

            Name: Church of Middle America (same title)
            Type: Organization
            Text: Any Straight or Conservative group that directly controls the
            Church of Middle America gets +2 to its Power (and Global Power, if
            it already had it).
            Alignments: Straight, Conservative, Peaceful
            Attributes: Church
            Power: 3/1
            Resistance: 4
            Arrows: L, R

            Name: Blogs (replaces Divine Mail Order)
            Type: Organization
            Text: You may spend its action to draw a Plot card. You may spend
            its action, along with an Illuminati action, to draw three Plot
            cards.
            Alignments: Corporate
            Attributes: Media, Computer
            Power: 2
            Resistance: 3
            Arrows: L, R, B

            [Added the Computer attribute. www.subgenius.com would seem to be a
            better "translation," but since that card's special ability is
            already duplicated in the original INWO I don't see much of a need
            to translate it. I thought about "Daily Newspapers" as an
            alternative but it didn't seem conspiratorial enough to suggest,
            though it could work like the Local Police Departments and be unable
            to be destroyed.]

            Name: Raeliens (replaces League for Obvious Decency)
            Type: Organization
            Text: By spending their action, you may force a player to return two
            exposed Plots to the top of the owning player's Plot deck.
            Alignments: Weird, Conservative
            Attributes: N/A
            Power: 1
            Resistance: 3
            Arrows: None

            [They should probably also be Church. I'm not sure if I would
            consider them Conservative, either, though they are definitely
            Weird. This group should have a better special ability, though.]

            Name: Utah (replaces Speakers in Tongues)
            Type: Place
            Text: You get a +3 for any attempt to control a Church group.
            Alignments: Weird, Conservative, Fanatic
            Attributes: N/A
            Power: 1
            Resistance: 3
            Arrows: None

            [This was also turned into a Place. I'm not sure if I would consider
            Utah "Weird" though, and I hesitate to just make the Group
            the "Mormons". I can't think of any popular religion that would have
            a wide enough influence to grant a bonus to any attempt to control a
            Church but that is also out of mainstream enough to be considered
            Weird. If we dropped "Weird" we probably can come up with some good
            alternatives.]

            Name: Drug Informants (replaces S.L.A.K.)
            Type: Organization
            Text: If this group does not have an Action Token at the beginning
            of any player's turn, they get one.
            Alignments: Violent, Fanatic
            Attributes: N/A
            Power: 2
            Resistance: 5
            Arrows: B

            [I'd like to add something like "School of Protest,"
            or "Protestors," but that's an obviously made up name. There's a
            cottage industry, at least in America and Europe, of people who hold
            seminars and classes to protest things like the IMF and other global
            organizations; this was most prominent for Americans during the
            Seattle protests a few years ago. It's actually quite an advanced
            network of people, and it's ripe for a conspiracy theory, but
            there's no actual name or organization that is funny/well-known
            enough to translate or parody. Someday there may.]