playing from a single deck

  • jonboy@rocketmonkey.org
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 21, 2004
      I was wondering if anyone has played this game with everyone drawing
      cards from the same deck. I played this way with four of my friends saturday
      afternoon, but next we do it I think I'll make some changes. First, I'm going to narrow
      the deck down to cards which I think play well in that format. I used almost all of my
      cards. I have the factory set of the first set, as well as some other random first set
      cards I picked up years ago.

      Aside from the deck issue, there's also some card stuff that doesn't
      make sense. The big one was a few cards which required that you discard the top card
      on the plot deck to play them. In this format, those cards are effectively played for
      free. I was thinking of either requring some other payment for those cards, or just
      removing them from the deck.

      Has anyone played like this? Does anyone have any other suggestions
      for playing like this?
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 22, 2004
        Hi "Jonboy",
        yep - you're not the first to think of that. It is commonly referred
        to as OBD, meaning One Big Deck.

        On my site I'm hosting some OBD rules written by John Meyer.
        Maybe they'll inspire you:
        http://home.worldonline.dk/nyskes/13th.htm

        Cheers
        Martin :)
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 2 6:33 PM
          I would suggest you not play with card that require duplicates (such
          as Clone, Impostor, and the like), or cards that require deck
          discards. Any card that has the option of deck discards or spending
          action tokens no longer should have that option.

          Or, you can do what I did, buy another Factory Set, and have the
          players make their own decks. It's more fun that way.

          *Leviticus Darksyde*
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 3 12:09 AM
            Hi all

            > Or, you can do what I did, buy another Factory Set, and have the
            > players make their own decks. It's more fun that way.

            Actually, there was an SJG competition almost 2 years ago, where you
            had to design 3-4 decks from a single factory set. I entered 2 sets
            (8 decks).
            A winner hasn't been appointed yet, but I hear that it's going to
            happen any day now. I think that once the competition has finally
            been resolved, all of the decks will go up on the SJGames website.

            Cheers