Re: Dead dead dead

  • byerskr
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 14, 2003
      Bringing up and old subject.

      I don't think INWO is dead but I don't understand why BFD wasn't put
      out when Brainwash and other supplements were put out for Illuminati.

      I don't think it would be a big deal if SJG would just put out
      something as they have to have the set designed. If they don't put
      something out then nothing more can really happen.

      There was discussion about putting out a new Handbook which I wish
      would happen. Heck I would help if it meant seeing it get out to the
      public just to get it out.

      I have some friends who won't play until the next set comes out. I
      am in the process of trying to get things running here where I am
      now. But I could use a little help from SJG by having something new
      out.

      I don't think the supplements were weak. But other games have foils
      and such so they will attract some more attention.

      Keith Byers
    • Gary Groeneweg
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 15, 2003
        What is this Brainwash that I keep hearing about? Are
        there NEW inwo supplements?! Really?

      • xaaronus
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 16, 2003
          --- In illuminatinewworldorder@yahoogroups.com, Gary Groeneweg
          <groeneweg72@y...> wrote:
          > What is this Brainwash that I keep hearing about? Are
          > there NEW inwo supplements?! Really?

          Unfortunately no, Brainwash is a supplement for Deluxe Illuminati.
          The Boxed game. It's fun but I'd rather have more INWO.
        • The Warbuilder
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 23, 2003
            Agreed...and 100 of those players are in Bavaria. So...

            Warbuilder

              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 23, 2003
                If he builds it they will come. It happened before and it will
                happen again.

                I know that I am in the process of getting a group going here again
                and they will buy some boxes. It may not be everything profit-wise,
                but SJG could at least let people get in in files and tell them how
                to use the empty cards to put them on.

                Keith Byers
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 18, 2004
                  --- In illuminatinewworldorder@yahoogroups.com, plasmoid_dk
                  <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                  > Perhaps SJGames could "release" the BFD on ccgworkshop.
                  > That would certainly have me signing up in a jiffy.
                  >
                  > It's really annoying that there is a finished set out there that
                  > just isn't published. On the other hand, if they did it the old
                  > fashion way they would probably do so with a loss.
                  > I mean, how many people are still playing?
                  > 200?
                  >
                  > Martin

                  Actually, I think a lot more play than that...I was at a wedding
                  reception, and the topic came around to gaming, and I casually
                  mentioned INWO...and two of the people there (whom I had never met)
                  played the game. We talked about it for fifteen minutes or so.
                  (Unfortunately, they live far away...but then again, that's two more
                  cabals that might be starting back up.) This was a about three
                  months ago, and that's not bad for a 10-year-old game.

                  I don't expect SJG to release BFD. Let's face it--it will be a loss.
                  There's one reason for this--SubGenius. SubGenius has to be the
                  worst thing that ever happened to INWO, and has killed off any
                  chance of a supplement. SubGenius was *not* a financial success, and
                  anyone of Steve Jacksons' business savvy should have known that. The
                  Church of the SubGeius has a very small audience. INWO also has a
                  fairly small audience. Mixing both of them together spells disaster,
                  since you're probably only to get sales when those two markets
                  overlap, and for two niche markets, anyone could have seen the
                  impending financial loss happen. (I, personally, find the cards
                  redudant, uncreative, broken, and--dare I say--offensive. One of our
                  friends bought it. We looked at it, and we dumped it.) INWO had mass
                  appeal (well, for gaming) because the subject of the cards were well-
                  known to most people--Bill Clinton, the Vatican, etc. SubGenius was
                  the opposite of that--trying to force INWO fans into caring about 97
                  cards that are barely understood outside of the context of the
                  Church. What a stupid, stupid waste of time.

                  However, I *do* think that a conspiracy game *could* be profitable
                  if marketed correctly. In this post-9/11 world, there will be plenty
                  of "controversial" groups and cards that could generate some word-of-
                  mouth and hook a lot of curiosity-seekers, like Al-Quaeda. (I'm not
                  saying such cards would be a good idea, but they are legitimate
                  targets for conspiracy.)

                  However, just releasing an expansion probably wouldn't work. Re-
                  releasing the whole mess (INWO and Assassins and BFD, and mayble
                  renaming and culling the best 10-20% from SubGenius) would be the
                  most likely financial success, but also the riskiest.

                  [And--I might add--one could say, "well, they did that already--it's
                  called Deluxe Illuminati. I think there's a lot of people out there
                  who would say INWO is better mechanically than Illuminati, and some
                  would say just the opposide. I think marketing it as
                  a "customizable" game, though not necessarily a "collectable" game
                  may or may not be a good move. Everyone has their own One Big Deck?
                  Not a bad idea....)

                  Granted, this is advice with someone with 0% experience in the
                  gaming industry, one known for a small profit margin and little room
                  for costly mistakes, so SJG not releasing an expansion for a 10-year-
                  old game from a largely collapsed game format is not exactly a
                  surprise,nor would it necessarily be wise, even from a fan
                  standpoint. Then again, if SJG has the time and cash to spend on
                  such an obvious money sink as a miniature casting product line for a
                  largely defuct system from the 80's, then maybe BFD has a shot in
                  the dark.
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 18, 2004
                    Hi Smacinwo,
                    always happy to hear about other INWO players :)

                    I totally agree that SubG was a poor "joke".
                    Personally I don't think that any of the cards were broken (though
                    there is a very powerful plotr or two) - and I actually like a lot
                    of the cards for what they do. It would just have been so much
                    cooler if they hadn't been CotSG-based.

                    My INWO friends dislike the cards for being nonsensical and
                    decidedly unfunny. We all got into INWO because of the whole
                    political satire thing, and CotSG definately isn't it.

                    Add to this the fact that it sucked as a stand-alone game, which is
                    what it was marketed as, and you've got a bad expansion.

                    Mind you, we weren't too fond of the assassins set either. We all
                    love group based decks, and Assassins had few interesting groups -
                    and none of them common. And the common plots weren't even that
                    interesting!
                    Zaps, paralyzes, freezes? ZZzzzZZ Zzz!

                    My dream expansion would contain this in 1 box:
                    The 100 BFD cards
                    The 100 Assassins cards
                    The ~15 German Uniques

                    I would definately buy 2 of these, and I know others who would too.
                    This box would definately contain stuff both for the collector and
                    the active player.
                    Cheers
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 18, 2004
                      > Personally I don't think that any of the cards were broken (though
                      > there is a very powerful plotr or two) - and I actually like a lot
                      > of the cards for what they do. It would just have been so much
                      > cooler if they hadn't been CotSG-based.
                      >
                      > My INWO friends dislike the cards for being nonsensical and
                      > decidedly unfunny. We all got into INWO because of the whole
                      > political satire thing, and CotSG definately isn't it.

                      Well, I guess it wasn't that they wewre broken, it's that they
                      were...well boring. Aside from about maybe 10%-15% of the cards,
                      most of the Plots and Groups were simple rehashes of cards that are
                      already made. This, of course, was necessary since CotSG was a
                      standalone game, so stuff like "Murphy's Law" was translated into a
                      different CotSB-based card with the same ability (and, usually, a
                      slightly different cost). Yes, the primary selling point of INWO
                      (and, I might add, Illuminati) was the political satire. And CotSG
                      just blew.

                      > Mind you, we weren't too fond of the assassins set either. We all
                      > love group based decks, and Assassins had few interesting groups -
                      > and none of them common. And the common plots weren't even that
                      > interesting!
                      > Zaps, paralyzes, freezes? ZZzzzZZ Zzz!

                      Actually, aside from the "broken" cards, Assassins was welcome in
                      our group, because it filled in a few gaps and left a lot of new
                      options. I do wish, like you, of course, that more Groups were
                      added, though I'm also glad they weren't Common (I have enough
                      copies of the Telephone Psychics, thank you, and I don't need an
                      equal number of Swingers).

                      I, personally, like Zaps, Freezes, and Paralysises (eses?) but find
                      they're too expensive to power. If a few more Plot cards/special
                      abilities allowed different ways to power these types of cards, I
                      think they'd be viable.

                      > My dream expansion would contain this in 1 box:
                      > The 100 BFD cards
                      > The 100 Assassins cards
                      > The ~15 German Uniques

                      I agree. And I know plenty that will shell out the cash for such a
                      set. Likewise, I don't mind if they add CotSB cards, but I'd only
                      welcome them if they were "translated"--i.e., they were converted
                      from CotSB to political satire, which, quite frankly, wouldn't be
                      *that* hard to do. As much as I dislike CotSB, there *were* a few
                      good cards in the set.
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 19, 2004
                        Hi again,
                        I went ahead and created a list of which CotSG cards I consider to be
                        worth keeping/translating. I posted it to the INWO list so as not to
                        run the discussion in 2 places. I hope you are on the list too.

                        Everyone is welcome to give feedback or create their own list.
                        If you are not on the inwo mailing list, then you can see past
                        messages here:
                        http://www.sjgames.com/pipermail/inwo-list/

                        Cheers
                        Martin :)
                      • Tim Gatewood
                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 22, 2004
                          Dear Martin,

                          Okay, it has taken me several minutes to back-trace this message
                          topic to find this one message that spells out what the "BFD deck"
                          is. (I thought it might be the Big F*ing Deck, but that is the One
                          With Everything- grin.) For clarity's sake, maybe we could all agree
                          to avoid using initials that refer back to messages from 7 months
                          ago? Please !

                          I called myself keeping up with all the rumors about INWO and
                          Illuminati the game, and I had never heard of the Bavarian Fire Drill
                          deck. It does appear that there is a new INWO-based deck coming out
                          (see the SJ Games website) - but nothing is said about BFD. What can
                          you tell us (me) about it?

                          And, no, the game is not "dead" -- it just requires a certain
                          awareness of politics for the satire to be meaningful, and a certain
                          twisted mentality to get the jokes. In short, it is not for the
                          average "rule player" gamer, nor for the MTV-generation computer
                          gamer who expects lights, bells, whistles, and impossibly-built-yet-
                          scantily-clad females in their games.

                          -- Tim G in Memphis, the land of dead and living Kings and Pyramids,
                          an Illuminati player since 1985 or so

                          ***********

                          Message 12 of 15 , Apr 22, 2004
                            > It does appear that there is a new INWO-based deck coming out
                            > (see the SJ Games website) - but nothing is said about BFD. What
                            can
                            > you tell us (me) about it?

                            The game promoted on the INWO home page is Illuminati: Crime Lords,
                            which is not compatible with either Illuminati or INWO. It is
                            designed as a standalone game, much like the horrid SubGenius, and
                            it uses many of the same mechanics as Illuminati and INWO, but it is
                            an entirely different game.

                            There *is* a page for BFD, but it's less than informative:

                            http://www.sjgames.com/inwo/bfd.html

                            Also, Steve Jackson has gone on record stating that INWO is no
                            longer being actively supported. Granted, Deluxe INWO came out after
                            he said that, so perhaps the interest in Deluxe INWO will tell him
                            whether it's worth releasing BFD. (Deluxe INWO is, in fact, out of
                            print, and did so in what seems to be a short amount of time.
                            Whether that is due to hightened interest or a simple clearing out
                            of the existing stock, I don't know.)

                            > And, no, the game is not "dead" -- it just requires a certain
                            > awareness of politics for the satire to be meaningful, and a
                            certain
                            > twisted mentality to get the jokes. In short, it is not for the
                            > average "rule player" gamer, nor for the MTV-generation computer
                            > gamer who expects lights, bells, whistles, and impossibly-built-
                            yet-
                            > scantily-clad females in their games.

                            I'll say it's one of the most intelligent games out there, and yet
                            still fun...which might be part of its apparent lull. It's good
                            social satire, but it can be dated, and the cards desperately need
                            to be updated to keep it fresh. Unfortunately, the market draw
                            of "updating" the cards is largely expensive for a game with such a
                            dwindling fan base.

                            Although I still expect impossible-built-yet-scandily-clad females
                            in all of my games.
                            Message 13 of 15 , Apr 23, 2004
                              Hi Smac,
                              >Deluxe INWO is, in fact, out of print, and did so in what seems to
                              >be a short amount of time.

                              What? Aw man :/
                              I recently sold an INWO article to Pyramid and decided to get paid
                              in store credit just to get Deluxe INWO. Then they sat on my voucher
                              for a few months, and now you're telling me it's out of print.
                              *sigh*

                              Message 14 of 15 , Apr 25, 2004
                                <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                                > Hi again,
                                > I went ahead and created a list of which CotSG cards I consider to
                                be
                                > worth keeping/translating. I posted it to the INWO list so as not
                                > run the discussion in 2 places. I hope you are on the list too.
                                >
                                > Everyone is welcome to give feedback or create their own list.
                                > If you are not on the inwo mailing list, then you can see past
                                > messages here:
                                > http://www.sjgames.com/pipermail/inwo-list/
                                >
                                > Cheers
                                > Martin :)

                                Thanks, Martin. I agree mostly with your choices with cards to keep,
                                though personally I would just drop the SubGenius attribute and all
                                cards that deal directly with just affecting SubGenius groups.

                                "Translating" the cards are a bit harder than I thought, especially
                                if we're trying to keep the same Power/Alignments/Attributes/etc. I
                                have made a few changes, but not many, and I've noted these changes
                                and other alternate ideas below the cards.

                                I'm certainly not going to do each one--in fact, below are only six.
                                I'll leave you all to do the others.) By no means are
                                these "translations" all that good--I did it in about ten minutes
                                pretty much off the top of my head--so please add your own ideas,
                                changes, etc.

                                ---

                                Name: Roswell
                                Type: Place
                                Text: If an attack to destroy against this group succeeds, they are
                                returned to the owning player's hand and do not count as destroyed.
                                Alignments: None
                                Attributes: Space
                                Power: 5/5
                                Resistance: 5
                                Arrows: L, R, B

                                [This was turned into a Place; the Xists are an Organization. This
                                makes its large Power (this group has the largest Global Power for
                                an Organization except for the Democrats) a little bit weaker,
                                though quite frankly it's still out of proportion. I would lower it
                                to maybe 3/3 and give it an actual useful ability.]

                                Name: Church of Middle America (same title)
                                Type: Organization
                                Text: Any Straight or Conservative group that directly controls the
                                Church of Middle America gets +2 to its Power (and Global Power, if
                                it already had it).
                                Alignments: Straight, Conservative, Peaceful
                                Attributes: Church
                                Power: 3/1
                                Resistance: 4
                                Arrows: L, R

                                Name: Blogs (replaces Divine Mail Order)
                                Type: Organization
                                Text: You may spend its action to draw a Plot card. You may spend
                                its action, along with an Illuminati action, to draw three Plot
                                cards.
                                Alignments: Corporate
                                Attributes: Media, Computer
                                Power: 2
                                Resistance: 3
                                Arrows: L, R, B

                                [Added the Computer attribute. www.subgenius.com would seem to be a
                                better "translation," but since that card's special ability is
                                already duplicated in the original INWO I don't see much of a need
                                to translate it. I thought about "Daily Newspapers" as an
                                alternative but it didn't seem conspiratorial enough to suggest,
                                though it could work like the Local Police Departments and be unable
                                to be destroyed.]

                                Name: Raeliens (replaces League for Obvious Decency)
                                Type: Organization
                                Text: By spending their action, you may force a player to return two
                                exposed Plots to the top of the owning player's Plot deck.
                                Alignments: Weird, Conservative
                                Attributes: N/A
                                Power: 1
                                Resistance: 3
                                Arrows: None

                                [They should probably also be Church. I'm not sure if I would
                                consider them Conservative, either, though they are definitely
                                Weird. This group should have a better special ability, though.]

                                Name: Utah (replaces Speakers in Tongues)
                                Type: Place
                                Text: You get a +3 for any attempt to control a Church group.
                                Alignments: Weird, Conservative, Fanatic
                                Attributes: N/A
                                Power: 1
                                Resistance: 3
                                Arrows: None

                                [This was also turned into a Place. I'm not sure if I would consider
                                Utah "Weird" though, and I hesitate to just make the Group
                                the "Mormons". I can't think of any popular religion that would have
                                a wide enough influence to grant a bonus to any attempt to control a
                                Church but that is also out of mainstream enough to be considered
                                Weird. If we dropped "Weird" we probably can come up with some good
                                alternatives.]

                                Name: Drug Informants (replaces S.L.A.K.)
                                Type: Organization
                                Text: If this group does not have an Action Token at the beginning
                                of any player's turn, they get one.
                                Alignments: Violent, Fanatic
                                Attributes: N/A
                                Power: 2
                                Resistance: 5
                                Arrows: B

                                [I'd like to add something like "School of Protest,"
                                or "Protestors," but that's an obviously made up name. There's a
                                cottage industry, at least in America and Europe, of people who hold
                                seminars and classes to protest things like the IMF and other global
                                organizations; this was most prominent for Americans during the
                                Seattle protests a few years ago. It's actually quite an advanced
                                network of people, and it's ripe for a conspiracy theory, but
                                there's no actual name or organization that is funny/well-known
                                enough to translate or parody. Someday there may.]