Re: [Illuminati New World Order] Dead dead dead

  • The Warbuilder
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 27, 2003
      I'm still here.

      Well whatever it is, I doubt highly that you ever hear anything from SJ
      Games that the game is officially defunct (like you keep the options open).

      It's a neat game, and thanks to the last 2 years, there's plenty of card
      goodness to build an entire expansion on...however...

      the game does suffer the same way most other games suffer: without something
      to keep it going, it peters out and players find something else to entertain
      them.

      I think the game is fascination, and once you get over that learning curve,
      it can be quite challenging. However, gaming today is about trying to get
      players to be able to jump into a game as quickly as possible -no time to
      take and learn a system or read the rules.

      I wouldn't say the game suffered because of it's expansions, but the notion
      that the game was more about deck construction, and less about collecting
      the cards doesn't seem to appeal to very many (even if it's more fair and
      inherently superior). Oh well -good ideas take longer to be accepted over
      accepting the same ol' crap changed around or gussied up.

      Ryan/Warbuilder

      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 27, 2003
        I'm in a small game group and wanted to play OMNI (fnord) as a "filler"
        game, but I just don't get it.
        Jim

        plasmoid_dk wrote:

        > Hi all,
        > is it just me or is INWO finally dead in the water.
        >
        > Was it because Assassins was weak?
        > Was it because SubGenius was worse?
        > Was it because Bavarian Fire Drill never came out?
        > Or was it simply because the learning curve was too steep?
        >
        > You tell me,
        > if anyone is still here that is :/
        > Martin

      • James R. McClure Jr.
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 27, 2003
          Peace Martin,

          >>Hi all,is it just me or is INWO finally dead in the water.

          Good question. Just because a game doesn't get new expansions doesn't necessarily mean it is dead.

          >>You tell me, if anyone is still here that is :/

          I'm still here.

          James R. McClure Jr.
          Sir Knight of Columbus

        • James R. McClure Jr.
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 27, 2003
            Peace Jim,

            >>I'm in a small game group and wanted to play OMNI (fnord) as a "filler"
            game, but I just don't get it.

            "Don't get it."? What don't you get? I'm happy to help you understand.

            James R. McClure Jr.
            Sir Knight of Columbus

          • Björn Lagerström
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 28, 2003
              I'm still here...

              And I'm been thinking a lot of how to create good tournament rules without
              to many exceptions and special rules. The reason for this is that I've
              hosted the Swedish Championship in INWO for 5 years or something, but the
              last year I haven't had the energy to do it cause it's just not worth it
              anymore; few players show up and it's almost always the same persons who
              make the finals. I'd say that the last 3 years, the finals have always been
              a match between the same 8 players.

              Now, I recently came up with a very clever idea. INWO sealed deck with
              boster draft. The only problem: THERE ARE NO STARTER DECK FROM W23. And I
              haven't found one single starter during the last year. If ANYONE know
              ANYPLACE to get starters, please send me a mail and you make me one happy
              puppy.

              /Bjorne

              Hitta rätt på nätet med MSN Sök http://search.msn.se/
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 28, 2003
                Hi Bjorne,
                sorry - can't help you with that.

                However, how about this:
                Play sealed deck with boosters only, and have each player pick the
                illuminati of their choice. :)
                Martin
              • tim_chessplayer
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 28, 2003
                  Although I don't check this group often, my friends and I are still
                  playing INWO. In fact, we recently got another of our friends
                  interested in it, so among my friends, at least, the player base is
                  growing. ;)

                  "If ANYONE know
                  ANYPLACE to get starters, please send me a mail and you make me one
                  happy puppy.

                  /Bjorne"

                  I could search around online. Is there a price range we're looking
                  at?
                • Fiki
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 28, 2003
                    "If ANYONE know
                    ANYPLACE to get starters, please send me a mail and you make me one
                    happy puppy."

                    AFAIK SJ Games has no plans for rereleaseing INWO or printing more starters.
                    For sealed deck I know MArc Sherman who hosts the INWO rating page did have
                    a deck generator which was about as close to a starter set listing as I
                    could find.
                    You could try generating a load of decks from that and putting them together
                    in sealed bags as starters and doing it that way.

                    Fiki
                  • Björn Lagerström
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 28, 2003
                      tim_cheesplayer wrote:

                      "I could search around online. Is there a price range we're looking at?"

                      Not to expensive, but I am willing to pay for shipping, taxes and the
                      orginal price of the decks. What did they cost when they still were around?
                      Between $10 and $15?

                      Fiki wrote:

                      "AFAIK SJ Games has no plans for rereleaseing INWO or printing more
                      starters.
                      For sealed deck I know MArc Sherman who hosts the INWO rating page did have
                      a deck generator which was about as close to a starter set listing as I
                      could find.
                      You could try generating a load of decks from that and putting them together
                      in sealed bags as starters and doing it that way."

                      Yeah, I thought about that as well, but I don't think it will be the same
                      thing.

                      But that idea of using only boosters and letting the players pcik their
                      favorit illuminati wasn't that bad. But I'll think I'll do it a bit
                      different, I'm thinking something like the way you play a LotR CCG-draft.
                      You get a special draft pack-booster which includes a good base to build
                      your deck on, made out of 28 commons and 1 rare. Now, you can't use that
                      thinking straight of, but what if you get 3 random illuminatis, and a couple
                      of cards that work ok together or with the illumiantis included. What do you
                      think about that?

                      Or should you just give the players 3 random illuminatis and then do a
                      regular booster draft?

                      /Bjorne

                      Hitta rätt på nätet med MSN Sök http://search.msn.se/
                    • John
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 5, 2003
                        just joined the list and we just started playing again recently. i
                        was in california last summer and a game shop i stopped in had the
                        deluxe inwo box, so i picked up that along with another sub-genius
                        pack to go with my current factory set. the only thing i'm missing
                        is a complete assassins collection. since the cards are hard to find
                        we generally play a one big deck game, though the idea of virtual
                        sealed decks sounds pretty cool also. this way it's whoever is the
                        best at playing what they're dealt. nice to see others out there
                        still playing.