430Re: Appetite for Destruction.

    Sep 29, 2004
      --- In illuminatinewworldorder@yahoogroups.com, "vivisectandrew"
      <vivisectandrew@y...> wrote:
      > hey all,
      > nice to see that the INWO Support Group still exists in some form.
      > :)
      > since our group's interest has been rekindled, so have some old
      > disputes (due to card wording, of course).
      > our dispute has to do with Disasters and Destruction.
      > how exactly is destruction determined? say for instance,
      > since i don't have any cards in front of me at the moment,
      > that my Disaster destroys if the roll "succeeds by 6 or more",
      > the target is destroyed. and as such, say the power/bonuses
      > are calculated that i have to roll a 10 or less to succeed.
      > two factions exist:
      > 1. [2-4] Destroy, [5-10] Devastates. Calculated by taking the
      > required roll to succeed minus the roll value. if greater than
      > or equal to value to destruction, target is destroyed.
      > 2. [2-5] Devastate, [6-10] Destroy. Calculated by taking the
      > roll value compared to the value to destruction. if greater
      > than or equal to the value to destruction, target is destroyed.
      > arguments for Camp 1 being:
      > "Rolls of 2s and 3s are representative of success. The bar was
      > set higher, and you sailed past (underneath) it."
      > "It's more complicated, it has to be that way."
      > arguments for Camp 2 being:
      > "It's more representative of the 'final power' of the destruction."
      > "Higher number means more power."
      > we tend to play Camp 1 style more often than not, but we tend not
      > to use Disasters either.
      > any help? or can anyone else explain it to me better with less
      > ambiguity?
      > thanks,
      > -andrew.

      Here's the thing:

      Nowhere in the rules explains where the base number (the highest
      number needed to succeed) would be. Does it start at 10, or does it
      go according to the net Power?

      One way to look at it, since 11 and 12 are automatic failures, you
      have to start at 10 and work you way down. Meaning if you need to
      beat a roll by more than 6, you have to roll a 4 or lower.

      However, that rule doesn't work for The Oregon Crud.

      Because with The Oregon Crud, you have to beat the die roll by more
      than 10 to destroy. Under the above rule, that would be impossible
      (10 being the maximum number). So my guess would be you have to set
      the bar according to the net Power, and beat THAT by X to destroy.
      It makes almost perfect sense, except 11 & 12 would still be failures.

      Hope this helps.

      *Leviticus Darksyde*
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic