Re: [illpoets] DC/Baltimore Slam News: Oveous Maximus straight from NY Features!!

  • Catherine Wilkins
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 31, 2006
      Thank you for sending this and I thank myself for opening - PEACE

      Delrica Andrews <delrica@...> wrote:
      apologies if you receive this more than once (this is going to 3 or more mailing lists...you may be on more than one)

      welcome to the dc/baltimore slam newsletter!

      in this issue:

      I.  Who's Featuring???
      II. Last week at DC Slam & SLAMicide
      III. Venue Information & Venue Announcements
      IV. Links to check out - (community announcement links etc.)

      I.  Who's Featuring???

      Sunday,  April 2, 2006 @ DC Slam &
      Monday,  April 3, 2006 @ SLAMicide: Oveous Maximus!!

      This dude is on a mission to take over the world, one poem at a time.    He's been on the Apollo and emerged triumphant.  Won at the famed Nuyorican, repped NY at the 2005 National Poetry Slam and has been touring a lot lately, so hopefully you'll catch him when he makes a stop here.  To find out more about Ove, visit his myspace page at http://www.myspace.com/oveous.

      II. Last week ...

      @ DC Slam ...

      Good vibes, good crowd and silly host made for a lighthearted evening. Visitors from our neighboring slam, Slam Richmond, were in the house!!!  Keep a look out ya'll...we'll be scrimmaging against them some time this summer.

      So...opening up the set for the night was one of my favorite locals, Big Sllim (who happens to be nominated for not one, not three, but FOUR NUSPA awards ), followed by a myriad of poets including Mo, AC, and Shann Palmer.

      Then our feature...the luminously awesome Droopy the Broke Baller took to the stage with one of the most unique features I've seen in a long while.  See...Droopy is a teacher by day and then on nights and weekends, a waiter down at ESPN Sports Zone.  So he served us the ESPN menu mixed with side orders and feature dishes of his poetry (he even wore the uniform w/ the apron! GRRR baby...hehehehehhe).  Completely entertaining indeed.

      After a break, we had the slam!!!  Short for time, we did elimination. But this didn't affect things at all.  Slamming in the first round were: Gem, TS Prunier (slammaster for Richmond), Robert Henry, Granma Dave, Ben Herson, Prato and Rhonda Taylor (one of two lone women in the slam.  Sistahssss where ya at???).  Moving on to the second round were TS, Granma Dave, Ben Herson and Rhonda Taylor.  When the dust settled, it was TS who took 3rd place 2/ a 26.7, Granma Dave pulling the 2nd place spot w/ a 28.5 and in an amazing upset, 2nd time slamming (EVER) Rhonda Taylor took 1st place w/ a 29.7!!!

      It was beautiful!!! Come back this Sunday when we have the fabulous Oveous Maximus (hailing out of NY) here to feature!!

      See ya!

      Quick reminder...DOORS OPEN AT 7PM FOR OPEN MIC SIGNUP, GET THERE EARLY!!!  I WILL NOT TAKE NAMES FOR THE OPEN MIC once we start the show.

      @ SLAMicide ...

      Give good vibes and positive thoughts to our Janna. She a touch under the weather and will hopefully make a triumphant comeback next week!

      Quick reminder...PLEASE GET THERE BETWEEN 7:30PM AND 8:30PM TO SIGN UP FOR OPEN MIC.  WE WILL NOT TAKE NAMES AFTER THAT TIME FOR THE OPEN MIC

      III. Venue Information & Venue Announcements:
      DC SLAM @ ECAC Community Center - 733 Euclid St., NW - Washington, DC
      www.dcslam.com
      every Sunday night (unless otherwise indicated on our schedule)
      doors open/open mic signup: 7:00 pm - 7:30pm; show starts: 7:30 p.m.
      cover $5
      This is a SMOKE FREE, ALCOHOL FREE establishment.  You are welcome to bring food, but be respectful of these rules! There will a dollar juice/snack bar available as well.
      Open mic - national & local feature poets - SLAM!
      Your host &  DC/Baltimore Slam Master: Delrica Andrews

      SLAMicide! @ XandO - 3003 North Charles St. - Baltimore, MD
      www.slamicide.com
      every Monday night (unless otherwise indicated on our schedule)
      open mic signup: 7:30pm - 8:30pm; show starts: 8:30 p.m. sharp
      cover $5 w/ $2 purchase min.
      venue phone [for directions ONLY]: (410) 889-7076
      Cohosted by: Delrica Andrews, Chris August & "Granma" Dave Schein
      Please make sure you support not just us, but our venues, ECAC and XandO.  These places graciously sacrifice their time and space to accomodate us and serve great foods, beverages, tea & sake (ECAC doesn't.  XandO is a full bar at night).  Your support of the venue insures that we will have one to continue to call home!
      Upcoming DC Features:

      Upcoming BALTIMORE Features:

      IV. Links to check out - (community announcement links etc.)
      Philip Gregory of IM4Radio.com is seeking CDs to play on his radio station.  Please visit www.jazzpoetrycafe.net or www.im4radio.com to find out more info.
      Visit www.4luvofpoetry.com for all venue listings for the DC Metro Area as well as several listings in your neck of the woods!

      ~ An Eagle Soars Alone~
      ~ An Eagle Soars Alone~