17Re: African american

  • the jawn
    Nov 19, 2004
      Thank you for this.. but this situation can go both ways. me<--
      rican/dominican (often mistaken as an african american).. i have
      african american acquaintances who are quick to say things
      like "well you arent black, so you wouldnt know." or talk about
      ricans/dominicans and caribbean people like they arent black.. Or
      are quick to say ricans and dominicans are taking "their men.".. im
      liek damn , i look just liek you and we have the same ancestors..
      can i live?,,, sorry just a rant

      --- In illpoets@yahoogroups.com, George Barbour <gcbarbour@y...>
      wrote:
      > I recently had a argument with a co-worker of mine (ironically
      Puerto-Rican) about the term African American. She had informed me
      that Senator Kerry's wife is or was from South Africa and considered
      herself African American. So what I replied. If she was born in
      Africa and lives in American and wants to call herself African
      American big deal. In my opinion the world is African American
      because that's where life started. Right?
      > Anyhow she proceeded to tell me how blacks were upset about this.
      She's telling me blacks are upset. Me>>>>black Her>>>>Puerto Rican.
      Follow me. She goes on to say that blacks shouldn't be mad and they
      (African American blacks) should not be referring to themselves as
      African Americans anyway because they were born here (out of the mud
      is what it felt like she was saying to me).
      > Well that did it. I have always just considered myself black, yet
      I felt compelled to tell this fool that we (black Americans born
      here) are AFRICAN AMERICANS because our roots come from AFRICA. No
      one ever tells Irish Americans, Italian Americans, Spanish
      Americans, Jewish Americans to be content with calling themselves
      Americans. Why do people always want to disassociate the us with our
      heritage. For the record Puerto Ricans are AFRICAN Americans too.
      Those boats came to Puerto Rico first. They picked sugar cane we
      picked cotton. They have more of a mixture of Spanish and Native
      Indian blood than we do but believe me the African presence is there
      as well. I just had to vent and I am looking for any information on
      how I can educate this obviously blind and misguided individual.
      Thanks poets.