QUESTION: Book- "GM&O Color Pictorial" By R.R. "Dick" Wallin

  • brionboyles
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 9, 2004
      Hey, Gang!
      I just had an interesting and perhaps fortuitous experience today...
      While shopping at the "Ellicott City Great Scale Train Show" in
      Timonium , MD this afternoon, I spied a book on the display shelves
      of "RON'S RR BOOKS", an outfit that advertizes in Railfan Magazine
      and always attends these shows. The book was "GULF, MOBILE & OHIO
      color pictorial" by R.R. "Dick" Wallin, from Four Ways West
      Publications...As I am in the planning stage of modelling Central
      Mississippi, including GM&O, IC and Mississippi Central RRs, I got
      purty darned excited! I also got quite a case of electric sticker
      shock when I saw that it had a $125 price tag! I hailed the
      proprietors wife (a foul,dour, little rotund hag) and politely asked
      if this was correct, since all the books surrounding it were in the
      typical $35~$45 range...
      She snapped,"YES IT IS! It's long, long out of print and very rare!".
      This surprised me, as it was the only book that didn't have shrink-
      wrapping (but still in a like-new condition), whereas all the other
      more "plebian" books were! When I told her that I was looking for
      something more in the range of the other books, she gruffly snagged
      it away from me and restowed it, without another word. Enuff o' dat
      joint!
      Two or three aisles later, I discovered another copy at a rather
      humble, non-descript little table that had but a few other offerings,
      but what REALLY came at my eyes like tracer rounds was the $30
      sticker! I wiped the beads of bovine perspiration forming on my upper
      lip area (thank you, Frank Zappa) and approached...the book was
      pristine, and, Lo! Next to it was a $30 copy of Lloyd Stagner's
      Morning Sun "ILLINOIS CENTRAL In Color" to boot, in a like state of
      virginal innocence!
      I could hardly keep my voice down to the key of middle "C"
      in order to inquire about them: Were they estate? Reprints? "No," the
      gracious purveyor responded,"just part of my titles I regularly
      carry..."
      I couldn't believe my luck as I withdrew my quivering credit card
      from it's musty domain, praying that my last payment had indeed
      caught the 2:00 Postman just a tad late the last time I dropped off a
      tardy remittance at the mailbox...
      APPROVED!
      I grabbed my prizes and scurried of like a coconut-creme-pie-thieving-
      chimpanzee in a black and white episode of "Gilligans' Isle"...
      Now, my questions to you, Gentle Readers, are...
      "Do I have reason to exclaim and rejoice? Is a 1996 copy of Mssr.
      Wallins tome THAT rare and worth THAT MUCH? Was I justified in
      passing Mrs.Harrumpff a
      minute later and, waving my Holy Grail and smirking,
      saying "Thuuuuuuuuurteeee Dolllllarrrrrrrs.....!" in my best Jerry
      Lewis voice?Or was she just scammin' me?"

      Thanks for you thoughts!
      And the book IS A BEEEEE-YEWT!
      Brion
    • Mark Tweeddale
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 10, 2004
        Brion, As a book dealer here in the Mid-west, $125.00 for Wallin's GM&O book
        is really a pretty good price...and you got Stagner's book AT COST!! Out of
        print books are priced at "what the market will bear." So, with that in
        mind, someone, somewhere got $125.00 for the GM&O book and the news got out
        that that's what the book will fetch. It's not just Ron and I that are
        selling this OOP tilte and other titles at these prices, but it seems to be
        an "industry standard". If you check prices on the 'net like eBay and
        abebooks.com, you'll find the same kind of pricing. Moral of the story: buy
        popular books when they are in print from a nicer person. Thank you, Mark
        Tweeddale / Gandydancer Books P.S . Yes , I have a mint copy of Wallin's
        GM&O book for sale at $125.00.
      • Myron & Lois Dudenbostel
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 10, 2004
          Brion,
          You made a good buy! The one that I have seen at trains shows are in the
          $35-$50 range. But then again I have seen several on ebay that have had , at
          least 2 people that could not live without the book, bring a good hefty
          price. There was also one on ebay a year or so ago that had a "buy in now"
          for $1.00!! The $125 price tag off the shelf is a little out of line.
          Just my opinion,
          Myron Dudenbostel
> [...]
          > caught the 2:00 Postman just a tad late the last time I dropped off a
          > tardy remittance at the mailbox...
          > APPROVED!
          > I grabbed my prizes and scurried of like a coconut-creme-pie-thieving-
          > chimpanzee in a black and white episode of "Gilligans' Isle"...
          > Now, my questions to you, Gentle Readers, are...
          > "Do I have reason to exclaim and rejoice? Is a 1996 copy of Mssr.
          > Wallins tome THAT rare and worth THAT MUCH? Was I justified in
          > passing Mrs.Harrumpff a
          > minute later and, waving my Holy Grail and smirking,
          > saying "Thuuuuuuuuurteeee Dolllllarrrrrrrs.....!" in my best Jerry
          > Lewis voice?Or was she just scammin' me?"
          >
          > Thanks for you thoughts!
          > And the book IS A BEEEEE-YEWT!
          > Brion
          >

          > Courtesy and Efficient Service always!
          >
          > ++Plan ahead for the Dubuque 2005 meeting! (September 2005)++

        • Brion
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 10, 2004
            Mark,
            Thanks for the reply!
            I wasn't questioning the value...I appreciate how that happens, and bear no ill-feelings towards dealers or about the $$ (especially now that I(!) have my lunchhooks on one!!!).Yet I deal from time-to-time in used trains, and have stumbled occassionally on that "rare" Bachmann gandy-dancer that is being offered on eBay for megabucks, whilst one could pick one up for a pittance at a train shop. I enjoy the opportunities that capitalism and circumstance combine to make us all better off in the long run, just wasn't sure if she was mistaken or I was lucky. I proudly claim a 100% pure dumb-as-a-rock-like ignorance of books and their market value.
            I was more taken aback by the attitude of the dealer, which in all fairness COULD have been a frustratration at once again answering the same stupid question from a gawking, greasy-digited finger-er of rare books.
            I felt so good about my stroke of luck that the pair of books now displaced my well-thumbed Bicentennial editions of Playboy and Penthouse from their honorary stash-position under my mattress!
            Thanks for confirming my glee!
            Brion
[...]

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Kirk Reynolds
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 10, 2004
              Brion,

              Congratulations on your good fortune! Mr. Wallin's and Mr. Stanger's
              books are both fine volumes.

              I'm a book buyer but not a dealer. Out of curiosiity, I do
              occasionally check out the prices for out-of-print works that dealers
              (such as Ron's, among others) list in their ads in the pop railfan
              press, just to see what some of the stuff on my shelves could
              possibly be valued at. The value of out-of-print books - like stamps,
              coins and other collectables - is largely determined by demand rather
              than supply. I'm sure that the first copy of Mr. wallin's GM&O book
              that you saw at the show was sold (or at least will eventually be)
              for that hefty price tag. Sooner or later, someone will want it badly
              enough that they'll pay the asking price for it. There's nothing
              wrong with that.

              On the other hand, I can understand your satisfaction at finding the
              same book at the same sale at such a savings. It's hard to say what
              the "fair market price" for out-of-print railroad books are. That is
              determined by, as someone else said in their reply, "whatever the
              market will bear".

              Regarding the behavior of the individual that you encountered, it
              sounds quite unprofessional. I guess you can only hope that time
              wounds all heels.

              Kirk Reynolds
              Fast and bulbous in Ohio
            • Marc
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 10, 2004
                All.

                Most recent offering on ebay, ending Oct. 2, went for $25 in a Buy
                It Now auction (described in good condition). I believe another
                went about a month ago in the 35-40 dollar range. All good deals...

                Marc Liberta
                Marion, IL
              • bill harris
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 11, 2004
                  Howdy Brion,

                  I will pay you
                  $100.00 for the GM&O Color Pictorical, in fact I will take two copies.

                  Happy railroading,

                  Bill Harris
                  Owner

                  CLASSIC TRAINS & FERRARI'S
                  Paducah, Ky.

> [...]
                  > caught the 2:00 Postman just a tad late the last time I dropped off a
                  > tardy remittance at the mailbox...
                  > APPROVED!
                  > I grabbed my prizes and scurried of like a coconut-creme-pie-thieving-
                  > chimpanzee in a black and white episode of "Gilligans' Isle"...
                  > Now, my questions to you, Gentle Readers, are...
                  > "Do I have reason to exclaim and rejoice? Is a 1996 copy of Mssr.
                  > Wallins tome THAT rare and worth THAT MUCH? Was I justified in
                  > passing Mrs.Harrumpff a
                  > minute later and, waving my Holy Grail and smirking,
                  > saying "Thuuuuuuuuurteeee Dolllllarrrrrrrs.....!" in my best Jerry
                  > Lewis voice?Or was she just scammin' me?"
                  >
                  > Thanks for you thoughts!
                  > And the book IS A BEEEEE-YEWT!
                  > Brion
                  >

                  > Courtesy and Efficient Service always!
                  >
                  > ++Plan ahead for the Dubuque 2005 meeting! (September 2005)++

                • Charles Ake
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 11, 2004
                    It is my guess that the woman in this story did not stay at a Holiday
                    Inn Express. :>) Charlie A.
                  • Glenn Gentile
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 27, 2004
                      --- In illinoiscentral@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Tweeddale"
                      <gandydancer.4@m...> wrote:
                      > Brion, As a book dealer here in the Mid-west, $125.00 for Wallin's
                      GM&O bookDo you have more copies of this book? I'm looking for one.
                      > is really a pretty good price...and you got Stagner's book AT COST!!
                      Out of
                      > print books are priced at "what the market will bear." So, with that in
                      > mind, someone, somewhere got $125.00 for the GM&O book and the news
                      got out
                      > that that's what the book will fetch. It's not just Ron and I that are
                      > selling this OOP tilte and other titles at these prices, but it
                      seems to be
                      > an "industry standard". If you check prices on the 'net like eBay and
                      > abebooks.com, you'll find the same kind of pricing. Moral of the
                      story: buy
                      > popular books when they are in print from a nicer person. Thank you,
                      Mark
                      > Tweeddale / Gandydancer Books P.S . Yes , I have a mint copy of
                      Wallin's
                      > GM&O book for sale at $125.00.
                    • Brion
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 28, 2004
                        Wallin's
                        GM&O book Do you have more copies of this book? I'm looking for one.

                        Glenn

                        No, I'm sorry!
                        I landed this book quite by chance, and will probably be buried with it LOL. I was so surprised to find that it is worth so much, but its on my workbench getting a thorough frenzied pawing, folding, spindling and mutilation break-in as I paint my stuff for GM&O and have fun. Ron's Books (they advertise in Railfan Magazine, I believe) had the one I saw at the Timonium MD train show that was going for $125 ( a price that has since been justified by several knowledgable and reputable dealers who frequent this Yahoo group) and may still have it.
                        I am attending the Timonium show again in Februaury and you can bet I'll keep an eye to the rail for another copy coming down the line!
                        Good luck, Glenn
                        Brion

                      • Glen Gentile
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 29, 2004
                          Well, I'll keep my eye open for one! The search continues.

                          Brion <BrionBoyles@...> wrote:Wallin's
[...]

                          ++Plan ahead for the Dubuque 2005 meeting! (September 24 & 25, 2005)++

                          Please Join the ICHS at http://www.icrrhistorical.org

                          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT