Any new information regarding Gourd Gathering, June 6, 2009 in Arthur, IL

  • wilsonsgourds
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2009
      Any new information on The Gourd Gathering this weekend at The Great Pumpkin Patch. Can any of the Illinois gourd society members come and setup with their ezups. What classes are scheduled and costs. Been telling some of general public about it and we hope to come too.

      Talked to Betsy awhile back and forgot what she said. Been trying to get hold of her as have date opened. Been busy helping our son and wife move to California last couple of months and all. So please forgive me for forgetting Betsy and contacting you.

      Thanks all.

      Karen Wilson
    • wilsonsgourds
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2009
        --- In ilgs@yahoogroups.com, "wilsonsgourds" <wilsonsgourds@...> wrote:

        > Any new information on The Gourd Gathering this weekend at The Great Pumpkin Patch. Can any of the Illinois gourd society members come and setup with their ezups. What classes are scheduled and costs. Been telling some of general public about it and we hope to come too.
        >
        > Talked to Betsy awhile back and forgot what she said. Been trying to get hold of her as have date opened. Been busy helping our son and wife move to California last couple of months and all. So please forgive me for forgetting Betsy and contacting you.
        >
        > Thanks all.
        >
        > Karen Wilson

      • Karen Caldwell
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1, 2009

          We received this from The Great Pumpkin Patch. Unfortunately we were slow to get people/programs going so there will be nothing formal this year. Perhaps in September we can establish a production team for this event in 2010.

          Karen

          Hi Bonnie:

          As of Bruce’s (Condill) phone conversations with Betsy Davis Parker late April through the beginning of May this year, we were told that no formal gathering was scheduled, due to slow response/lack of response to our inquiries.

          Upon hearing from Betsy that no formal gathering was scheduled, we pulled all of our scheduled PR pieces. However, our Homestead Bakery open house is still on, and gourd fans are certainly welcome to show up and congregate on the Bakery porch. At this point, we are unable to provide the Center School or the Two-Mile Sweet Shop as gathering spots, once it was determined that no formal gathering was scheduled.

          We like the idea of an early summer gourd fest at our farm. We intend to evaluate the potential of this type of event in the future, at which point we would be at the helm arranging classes/entertainment/vendors. Would it be possible next time if we were able to contact your members directly to speed up correspondence and PR presentations, and also to alleviate the burden on your end. If this is possible, our office would be contacting you, Bonnie, early in 2010 as we routinely work on our annual calendar of events.

          Thanks, Jeanie

          Karen L. Caldwell

          See my gourds at www.picturetrail.com/karencaldwell

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 2, 2009
            Hi Karen,  Did I read that right?  That there will be no gourd fest at the Arthur Pumpkin Patch this year?  I also checked the calender of events on the Patch's website and I see no reference to the fest.  I have been telling everyone I know, have been preparing for most of the year, have lined up baby sitters and back-up baby sitters in preparation for this event.  I cannot tell you how dissappointed I am to find (less than a week ahead of time) that it has been cancelled with no notification to any IGS members.  Wouldn't that be one of the purposes we have the ILGS Yahoo Group?
            Bev Notaro

            Beverly Notaro
            490 NCR 2175 East
            Oakland, Illinois 61943

            To: ilgs@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 2, 2009

              Bev,

              You are exactly right.  I try to post info as soon as I get it, but I dropped the ball on this one. Bonnie forwarded the message last Thurs. so you could have had this 3-4 days sooner.  My apologies.  I haven’t posted any info about the event because I haven’t received any.  Betsy Davis Parker was the coordinator for this event and I assumed she was handling all communications.  If she didn’t get any response from members I can she how she would cancel our participation – I just didn’t know that she wasn’t getting any feedback.

              In addition to this Yahoo group notification – I’ll do an email to all members for those who haven’t yet joined this group.

              Again, my apologies for our communication lapse,

              KarenC

              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 2, 2009
                Hi Bev.  am disappointed too that there won't be a gourd gathering at Arthur. and agree that the notice was very late.  would you want to head it up next year?  that would be a huge contribution.  I know there are others that would like to come too.  Thanks for considering this challenge!  Bonnie/ilgs pres.

                **************
                An Excellent Credit Score is 750. See Yours in Just 2 Easy Steps! (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222585042x1201462767/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=JuneExcfooterNO62)
              • Martin & Sue Cutter
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 2, 2009
                  I told Betsy I had a couple of teachers in mind and would approach them for the Arthur event.  As it turns out, both were unavailable.  I neglected to tell Betsy that right away when I found out, so it's probable she felt she had no support from this end.  (Then I read the forwarded message and thought there was no need....)

                  Karen's idea of a support team in place is excellent.  I will figure out what I can do successfully to help the event along.  This particular venue isn't a big money-spinner, I'm told, but it does increase our exposure in this part of the state.

                  I'll add my apologies to Karen's for communications lapse.  I was looking forward to Arthur, too.

                  Sue Cutter

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 2, 2009
                    Thank you for the information.  Paul and I were planning on demonstrating for the event with our gourds this Saturday and we were trying to find some information too.  He found something that mention Central Illinois gourd folks, so why wanted to double check as we are further down in Kell.  We have attended as gourd enthusiasts in the past, and thought would try it this year due to having some time off as Heritage Days Festival in Okawville, IL where we demonstrate is on June 13 and 14th this year.  It has been in the past the same day as The Gourd Gathering.  The Great Pumpkin Patch is an awesome place to visit and we are very disappointed not having it this year as finally could attend again even as a gourd crafter.  Oh well..  Mr. Condill and his family work very hard with growing gourds and squash for gourd crafters.    We might still take a trip to the open house too.  We wanted to purchase some gourds also.

                    Thanks for the information.

                    Karen and Paul Wilson

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 3, 2009
                      Hi.. hope you will go to the arthur event this saturday, even tho is not an organized ILGS event.  Have heard from several people.. ralph Irish and Sue Cutter that they are going.  so glad  you wrote to me.  next year will take charge of it myself.  should be easier after doing the northern show and the chicago and morton arboretum shows...  second times go easier.     my first farmers market is this sat, or I would be in arthur as well.  next yr will just skip farmers market and go to arthur.  have a good time and let me know how it turns out.  bon

                      Shop Inspiron, Studio and XPS Laptops at Dell.com (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222616459x1201464730/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fad.doubleclick.net%2Fclk%3B215218145%3B37264238%3Bd)
                    • Karen Wilson
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 3, 2009
                        Talked to Yvonne and will return next year.