from bonnie

  • ilmidwife@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 11, 2008
      Hi fellow ILGS folks!  Thanks to Karen Caldwell for setting this communication board up for us.  let's all use it and share ideas.  for starters,  what coloring are you using for outside birdhouses?  and what protective finish?  have used leather dyes in the past, but they fade.  what is your experience?  important to me because am going to have a farmers market booth again this summer and folks love to buy wren houses.  bon.

      **************
      Make your life easier with all your friends, email, and favorite sites in one place. Try it now. (http://www.aol.com/?optin=new-dp&icid=aolcom40vanity&ncid=emlcntaolcom00000010)
    • Karen Caldwell
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 12, 2008

        Birdhouses, colorant

        I use only acrylic paint because the dyes fade too quickly outdoors.  I use Delta Ceramcoat paints and most colors have transparent, semi-opaque and opaque versions so you can get a more transparent look if desired.  For the clear protective coat I use MinWax Helmsman – it’s what I used on the teak on my boat in my other lifetime – I brush on three coats.

        I’ve been experimenting with pigment inks – Memories brand (that Welburn is supposed to be selling) and Ranger Adirondack inks.  The Memories brand blends beautifully but takes overnight to dry.  The Adiron. is alcohol based and dries quickly and you can get some really neat ‘drizzle’ effects when you use multiple colors.  You can’t get the same effect with the Memories inks.  I’ll post a couple of photos of ‘drizzled’ gourds on this site.

        Now that shows are over, I’ll do some ‘sunshine experimentation’ to see how the color of both brands is retained . . . or not . . . to see if they’re birdhouse-worthy.

        KarenC

        Karen L. Caldwell

        See my gourds at www.picturetrail.com/karencaldwell

        ************ **

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 15, 2008
          Hi Barb.  sorry you couldn't make the teleconference.  Sue just sent out the minutes today.  The main thing is that we got our nonprofit status back..  needed for the chicago botanic garden show, and Karen has set up a chat group for Illinois members at   ilgs@yahoogroups.com   go to it and post a question or make a comment.  would be a good way to communicate with your regional folks. today hope to get the membership list done by region.   Thanks for agreeing to organize our efforts for the Arthur show.  Go to the Great PUmpkin Patch, Arthur IL. for info,.  don't know how long they have been having their event, but is very impressive.  our part would be to offer classes, Betsy can teach for sure, and has before.. and to have some membership forms available. I would be glad to teach.  How about doing a short bit of info and request for teachers for the next newsletter.  which will come out the end of Jan.  find out from the web site of the great pumpkin patch, if they want us again..  and if so what the details are.. cost?  I don't think so..  Betsy would know.. do we have to pay them a percent?  how is registration done, etc.  the festival has a great reputation, but have not been before.  hope to get there this year and can be of help.  thanks!  bonnie

          **************
          Make your life easier with all your friends, email, and favorite sites in one place. Try it now. (http://www.aol.com/?optin=new-dp&icid=aolcom40vanity&ncid=emlcntaolcom00000010)
        • Jane Huisingh
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 18, 2008
            --- In ilgs@yahoogroups.com, "Karen Caldwell" <klcaldwell@...> wrote:

            > Birdhouses, colorant
            >
            > I use only acrylic paint because the dyes fade too quickly
            outdoors. I use
            > Delta Ceramcoat paints and most colors have transparent, semi-
            opaque and
            > opaque versions so you can get a more transparent look if desired.
            For the
            > clear protective coat I use MinWax Helmsman - it's what I used on
            the teak
            > on my boat in my other lifetime - I brush on three coats.
            >

            > I've been experimenting with pigment inks - Memories brand (that
            Welburn is
            > supposed to be selling) and Ranger Adirondack inks. The Memories
            brand
            > blends beautifully but takes overnight to dry. The Adiron. is
            alcohol based
            > and dries quickly and you can get some really neat 'drizzle'
            effects when
            > you use multiple colors. You can't get the same effect with the
            Memories
            > inks. I'll post a couple of photos of 'drizzled' gourds on this
            site.

            > Now that shows are over, I'll do some 'sunshine experimentation' to
            see how
            > the color of both brands is retained . . . or not . . . to see if
            they're
            > birdhouse-worthy.
            >

            > KarenC
            >

            > Karen L. Caldwell
            >
            > See my gourds at www.picturetrail.com/karencaldwell

            Karen, I think you can use a heat gun to dry the inks faster. I have
            a video that I will check out in the next few days. I just got the
            inks also.

            Stay warm up in Illinois. I made it down to New Mexico and its going
            to be nice the next week.
            Jane