Re: [The Ileostomy Group] Hi everyone-I'm back from surgery

  • Crystal
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 28, 2004
      Hopefully that will work better for you!!

      Crystal

      streamsinthedesert <streamsinthedesert@...> wrote:
      Thanks Crystal. We are the same age. I am changing my bag every
      three days now.

      Sara

      --- In ileostomy@yahoogroups.com, Crystal <crys1973@y...> wrote:
      > Hi Sara,
      > I am so glad things went well on your surgery. I have had an
      ileostomy for 4 years now. Initally I was changing my bag every 3-4
      days. I would not go 6 days on a fairly new ileostomy so that you
      can monitor it more. I can now change it once a week. Sunday is my
      change day. If you have iritation around the skin that is caused
      from the flange breaking down and stool getting onto your skin. The
      first thing that will help that is changing more often so it doesnt
      break down. It usually breaks down quickly initially because your
      output is usually a lot higher. It does eventually slow down. If
      you continue to have skin irritation consider using eakin seals. I
      use the large ones and cut it in half and roll it (like we used to
      roll clay into snake shapes.......same idea) and wrap it around the
      skin at the edge of the stoma. It is the best solution I found to
      help my bags last longer and to prevent skin break down. Everyone is
      different so do not be afraid to try different things.
      > Do be prepared however for some of those things to fail and you
      may have leakages as a result. If you ever need someone to talk to
      that has been thru it let me know!!

      http://www.bowelweb.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewforum&f=4

      > |Ostomy Chat: http://www.bowelweb.com/chat.html
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      Service.

      The Ileostomy Group is part of Crohn's Zone IBD Network at www.crohnszone.co.uk

      |Ostomy Forum: http://www.bowelweb.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewforum&f=4

      |Ostomy Chat: http://www.bowelweb.com/chat.html

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • Kez
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 2, 2004
        Hi Sara,

        re the sore skin, I use Comfeel barrier cream from Coloplast
        (www.coloplast.com).

        I have a two piece bag (bag clips on the backing wafer and locks in
        place). I change the bag itself twice daily (midi for daytime, maxi
        size for night for extra sleep!) and the backing flange every three
        days. When I change the backing flange, I gently clean round the
        stoma with the soft wipes I get from my ostomy supplier and a little
        plain warm water (no soap). I pat it dry gently, apply the barrier
        cream and my skin is healing up nicely now.

        Kez
      • streamsinthedesert
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 11, 2004
          Hi. Changing the bag everyday would be nice. I also use the two
          piece. It is Coloplast. I don't use a clip my bags have velcro at
          the bottom. I guess I have been letting the bag get to full before
          emptying because the bottom sometimes leaks out. How often do you
          guys empty your bags? If I empty them any more often I will be doing
          it every hour just about. I think that is a little to much.

          --- In ileostomy@yahoogroups.com, "Kez" <crohnszone@a...> wrote:
          > Hi Sara,
          >
          > re the sore skin, I use Comfeel barrier cream from Coloplast
          > (www.coloplast.com).
          >
          > I have a two piece bag (bag clips on the backing wafer and locks in
          > place). I change the bag itself twice daily (midi for daytime, maxi
          > size for night for extra sleep!) and the backing flange every three
          > days. When I change the backing flange, I gently clean round the
          > stoma with the soft wipes I get from my ostomy supplier and a
          little
          > plain warm water (no soap). I pat it dry gently, apply the barrier
          > cream and my skin is healing up nicely now.
          >
          > Kez
        • Crystal
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 12, 2004
            I have some days that I am emptying my bag and as I am cleaning the end off it is filling up again. There is no rhyme or reason to it however in the beinning you will need to empty it often. And the more you empty it the longer your bag will last. Definately dont wait until it is full!! Pulls too much and you are more likely to have leaks. I would much rather empty it every 1/2 hour to an hour rather than change my bag all the time. It is so rough on the skin if you have leaks and changing the bag all the time.

            The Ileostomy Group is part of Crohn's Zone IBD Network at www.crohnszone.co.uk