New here

  • Sherri
    Message 1 of 14 , May 30 5:32 PM
      Hi,

      My name is Sherri and I am 45 years old. I had Ulcerative Colitis and in
      1991 had my colon removed. I had a temporary ileostomy for a few months then
      a j-pouch. I had my j-pouch for 4 years and then decided to go back to the
      ileostomy. I have had a permanent ileostomy since then and have not had any
      major problems thank goodness. I feel that it was the best decision I have
      ever made in regards to my health and can't ever imagine being as sick as I
      was. I am glad to have found this group because every now and then I have
      questions and no one to really ask them to.

      Since my surgery I have been able to enjoy camping and backpacking and
      hiking with my two dogs and husband. The first 4-5 years I really was not
      self conscious about my ostomy and continued to wear my usual clothes and do
      my usual activities but I am finding that as time goes by I am starting to
      make some decisions based on things like "if we go there where will I be
      able to empty my bag?, what about if the plumbing doesn't work correctly
      after I empty the bag'?, etc". Sort of reminds me of when I was sick and
      always wondering where the bathroom was.

      Has anyone gone through this type of phase years after getting your ostomy?
      Also, has anyone had trouble with fatigue due to possibly not absorbing
      enough nutrients even though you are eating well and if so what have you
      done about it?

      Thanks and I look forward to chatting with the group.

      Sherri

    • Crystal
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 1, 2004
        Hi Sherri,
        Welcome!! I personally always seem to be conscious of my bag but not really in a bad way. I like to think things thru and be prepared for things. I do not find it limits anything for me it is pretty much unconsious unless it is a new situation. Not really sure I can help much in that area.

        I will sometimes have trouble with fatigue. I take a childrens chewable vitamin to help that. By chewing it it helps the breakdown process and therefore have better absorption. You might also want to have your vitamin B-12 checked. If it is low it can cause fatigue and depression. They can give you B-12 shots to get the vitamin directly into your blood stream. At one point I got those every month as I have had enough intestine removed that it does not absorb properly.

        Crystal Knoll
        30 year old w/ Ileostomy

        The Ileostomy Group is part of Crohn's Zone IBD Network at www.crohnszone.co.uk

        |Ostomy Forum: http://www.bowelweb.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewforum&f=4

        |Ostomy Chat: http://www.bowelweb.com/chat.html

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • Leslie
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 2, 2004
          Hi Sherri. Welcome. I am 30 and had UC. I have had my ileostomy
          for almost a yr. I am always conscience of my bag. I take vitamins
          and try to eat good. Hope you find what your looking for.

          --- In ileostomy@yahoogroups.com, "Sherri" <parkerty@y...> wrote:
          > Hi,
          >

          > My name is Sherri and I am 45 years old. I had Ulcerative Colitis
          and in
          > 1991 had my colon removed. I had a temporary ileostomy for a few
          months then
          > a j-pouch. I had my j-pouch for 4 years and then decided to go
          back to the
          > ileostomy. I have had a permanent ileostomy since then and have
          not had any
          > major problems thank goodness. I feel that it was the best
          decision I have
          > ever made in regards to my health and can't ever imagine being as
          sick as I
          > was. I am glad to have found this group because every now and then
          I have
          > questions and no one to really ask them to.
          >

          > Since my surgery I have been able to enjoy camping and backpacking
          and
          > hiking with my two dogs and husband. The first 4-5 years I really
          was not
          > self conscious about my ostomy and continued to wear my usual
          clothes and do
          > my usual activities but I am finding that as time goes by I am
          starting to
          > make some decisions based on things like "if we go there where
          will I be
          > able to empty my bag?, what about if the plumbing doesn't work
          correctly
          > after I empty the bag'?, etc". Sort of reminds me of when I was
          sick and
          > always wondering where the bathroom was.
          >

          > Has anyone gone through this type of phase years after getting
          your ostomy?
          > Also, has anyone had trouble with fatigue due to possibly not
          absorbing
          > enough nutrients even though you are eating well and if so what
          have you
          > done about it?
          >

          > Thanks and I look forward to chatting with the group.
          >

          > Sherri

        • Lyndsey B
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 5, 2004
            Hi there
            I'm 28 and Ive had my bag for 3 years now. My op was due to UC and as long
            as I have my b12 injections I don't suffer much with fatigue. Although i do
            get frustrated that even 3 yrs on my energy just doesn't last as long as it
            did before.
            I'm not conscious of the bag all the time, just when like u said your in a
            new place and have to know u can empty your bag without a problem. But once
            i know i can im fine and then i get a bit pleased with myself that i feel
            'normal' again and not thinking if i need to rush to the loo all the time.
            I've been camping aswell since my op and abroad. Each time it goes well it
            boosts my confidence just that bit more and it makes things easier the next
            time i go anywhere.
            But like everyone, i have my odd days when i'm sick of having the bag but
            they always pass.
            Take care
            Lyndsey xx

            http://toolbar.msn.co.uk/
          • PaddysPets
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 8, 2012
              I have an iliostomy surgery date on Nov 20. I had a abdominal colonectomy five years ago, but it's gotten worse, so after undergoing numerous tests and X-rays, etc., and lots of meds, the best solution is to have an iliostomy.
            • Joyce Armstrong
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 20, 2012
                You will probably feel better. With all the different Terminology I'm not sure what you had when you had an Abdominal colectomy but I had a total Colectomy in 1992 and as the years went by my pain got worse and worse until I got my ileostomy in 2007. I'm not gonna say I love it but it sure beats being in pain all the time. Ask lots of questions of your doctor, your nurse, this group. We can all help you. Your first few months will be very frustrating. I remember crying because I couldn't keep a bag on. the nurse would come out and see me and help replace the bag and 10 minutes after she left it would come off again. I didn't have a support group and I didn't have anyone to answer questions. I got passed it and today I don't have as many problems. I learned through trial and error. I wish I had had this group at the beginning. Ask any and all questions. Someone will have an answer.
                Good luck with your surgery is the easiest part. Let us know if you need anything
              • buddsharry@hotmail.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 20, 2012
                  Illiostomy surgery isn't the end of the world rather a new beginning. I can't guarantee you will never feel an ounce of discomfort ever again but I can tell you it saved my life. Although there were other issues that came to light, my life is better than what it was.

                  Get as much information on the surgery and illio's as you can BEFORE the surgery. Then you will know what to expect when you wake up. Ask questions.

                  I wish you luck! Where are you from? Where will you be having your surgery?

                  --- In ileostomy@yahoogroups.com, "PaddysPets" <paddyspets@...> wrote:

                  > I have an iliostomy surgery date on Nov 20. I had a abdominal colonectomy five years ago, but it's gotten worse, so after undergoing numerous tests and X-rays, etc., and lots of meds, the best solution is to have an iliostomy.

                • J. Smith
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 20, 2012
                    I just had an end ilestomy on Sept. 10 d/t UC and although mine is
                    hopefully temporary until I can have the Jpouch surgery, I can tell you
                    that it hasn't been bad at all for me. It's nice to have my "nasty" colon
                    gone after 17 yrs of issues. I have a You Tube channel I started to
                    document my journey to help educate/support others and I've found that it
                    helped me too! You can check it out by typing "ucandpsc" in the search bar
                    on You Tube and while all of the info may not be applicable to you if you
                    are having a permanent ileostomy, I'm sure a lot of the pre and post-op
                    stuff is very similar.

                    Good luck to you! I haven't had ANY second thoughts re: having this done
                    and you should be able to get back to a "normal" life after the adjustment
                    period! I've found "internet groups" and you tube very helpful for
                    researching things...:)

                    Steve

                    --- In ileostomy@yahoogroups.com, "PaddysPets" <paddyspets@...> wrote:

                    > > I have an iliostomy surgery date on Nov 20. I had a abdominal
                    > colonectomy five years ago, but it's gotten worse, so after undergoing
                    > numerous tests and X-rays, etc., and lots of meds, the best solution is to
                    > have an iliostomy.

                  • PaddysPets
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 21, 2012
                      Hi. I'm pre surgery right now, but totally understa,nd the fatigue. Right now I get a shot once a month, it doesn't seem to help, and hoping post surgery it will be better. I also use Centrum chewables for adults. That does help some.

                      My surgery is less than a month away. I've been up and down with my emotions over it. I'm worried I won't be able to deal with things (dealing with the bag, etc) post surgery. Which to me is silly-I've always been able to deal with health problems, changes, etc. maybe I'm just getting old???

                      Anyway November 20 at St Anthony's Hospital I will be having the surgery.

                      Paddy

                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 21, 2012
                        Sherry I have on had mine for seven Yeats but always have been aware of it and do think about the meetings you do. I think the tiredness goes right along with it too. I just found some great groups on Facebook if you want more opinions and knowledge too.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 21, 2012
                          Hey Sherri!

                          I know I'm not answering any of YOUR questions, but after reading your
                          post, I was curious why you decided to get rid of the Jpouch after 4
                          years? I just had my 1st surgery of 3 to end up w/ a Jpouch and I'm just
                          curious. Not that I have a temp Ileostomy, the thought has run through my
                          head of just keeping it as I've heard that the Jpouch can still leave you
                          with bathrooming issues albeit not as bad as w/ the UC...just wondered your
                          thoughts?

                          Thanks!
                          Steve

                          > > My name is Sherri and I am 45 years old. I had Ulcerative Colitis and in
                          > > 1991 had my colon removed. I had a temporary ileostomy for a few months
                          > then
                          > > a j-pouch. I had my j-pouch for 4 years and then decided to go back to
                          > the
                          > > ileostomy. I have had a permanent ileostomy since then and have not had
                          > any
                          > > major problems thank goodness. I feel that it was the best decision I
                          > have
                          > > ever made in regards to my health and can't ever imagine being as sick
                          > as I
                          > > was. I am glad to have found this group because every now and then I have
                          > > questions and no one to really ask them to.
                          > >

                          > > Since my surgery I have been able to enjoy camping and backpacking and
                          > > hiking with my two dogs and husband. The first 4-5 years I really was not
                          > > self conscious about my ostomy and continued to wear my usual clothes
                          > and do
                          > > my usual activities but I am finding that as time goes by I am starting
                          > > make some decisions based on things like "if we go there where will I be
                          > > able to empty my bag?, what about if the plumbing doesn't work correctly
                          > > after I empty the bag'?, etc". Sort of reminds me of when I was sick and
                          > > always wondering where the bathroom was.
                          > >

                          > > Has anyone gone through this type of phase years after getting your
                          > ostomy?
                          > > Also, has anyone had trouble with fatigue due to possibly not absorbing
                          > > enough nutrients even though you are eating well and if so what have you
                          > > done about it?
                          > >

                          > > Thanks and I look forward to chatting with the group.
                          > >

                          > > Sherri

                          > > The Ileostomy Group is part of Crohn's Zone IBD Network at
                          > www.crohnszone.co.uk
                          > >
                          > > |Ostomy Forum:
                          > http://www.bowelweb.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewforum&f=4
                          > >
                          > > |Ostomy Chat: http://www.bowelweb.com/chat.html
                          > >

                          > > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                        • Lawrence Mays
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 21, 2012
                            My best wishes to you with your upcoming surgery. You'll do fine and many
                            on this reflector will tell you. Please do as for help or just plain
                            support. I'm going on 48 yrs with an Ileostomy and there are speed bumps,
                            but life is full of issues. The bag and changing will become second hand!