Dehydration

  • Darlene
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 2 3:16 PM
      I find I am having trouble with dehydration, which causes me to get light headed and BP to go very low.

      Do any of you have this problem, and if so how much water should er without colons be drinking every day?? 6 cups, 8 cups? I find whenever I drink soda now, it dumps right into my pouch, which means I'm not getting any hydration from soda.

      Darlene
    • Diana
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 2 5:36 PM
        Hiya! Darlene,

        I had the same problem with dehydration it took two trips to the er to find the right amount of water to drink for me. I drink about two 32 oz. cups of water a day. Now this may not be how much you need try to drink 8 eight oz. glasses at first and go from there you be able to figure out if that isn't enough drink extra glass a day until you get the right amount.  That is what I did..

        ------------------------------------

        The Ileostomy Group is part of Crohn's Zone IBD Network at www.crohnszone.org

        |Ostomy Forum: http://www.crohnszone.org/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewforum&f=4

      • Darlene Pauls
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 2 6:08 PM
          Thanks Diana. I will try for the 8, 8 oz glasses per day. I try to drink 16 oz at a time, so 4 of those should do it. I appreciate your input.

          Darlene

          The Ileostomy Group is part of Crohn's Zone IBD Network at www.crohnszone.org

          |Ostomy Forum: http://www.crohnszone.org/index.php?name=PNphpBB2 <http://www.crohnszone.org/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewforum&f=4> &file=viewforum&f=4

        • Sue K.
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 2 6:10 PM
            Many people find oral rehydrationn formulas are much more effective......ceralyte....g2 especially....
            Sue

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 3 7:24 AM
              I checked on the Internet and ceralyte is prescription only, but I believe
              they sell G2 at the grocery store?? I will try some G2.

              Thanks for the information.

              Darlene

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 3 7:44 AM
                You can also go to the thriverx web site....they have the who rehydration recipes on line...... You can make them taste better with some crystallite...... Ostomates really do better not drinking just plain water in most cases. Ask your doc if there is a nutritionalist that you can work with too!
                Good luck!
                Sue

                The Ileostomy Group is part of Crohn's Zone IBD Network at www.crohnszone.org

                |Ostomy Forum: http://www.crohnszone.org/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewforum&f=4

              • J. Smith
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 3 3:19 PM
                  Hey Darlene...It may not be HOW MUCH water/liquid you're drinking
                  throughout the day, it may be HOW MUCH YOU'RE DRINKING AT ONE TIME? When I
                  had my end ileostomy I didn't notice this as much but now that I have a
                  loop ileostomy (higher up in the small intestine) I've found that the
                  amount of liquid I drink at one time REALLY matters AS WELL as what I eat
                  when I drink. If I drink 1/2 cup of water straight w/ no food, it tends to
                  go right through me but if I just take frequent sips and eat something
                  starchy (crackers, pasta, oatmeal, bananas, etc) it doesn't go through me.
                  I've also found that sucking in ice cubes lets me get my water fix without
                  getting too much at once. My ostomy nurse also has me use Immodium AD
                  consistently (I take 4/day....before each meal and before bed!) and I've
                  read that consistent use of Immodium is pretty common w/ ostomies if
                  dehydration is an issue?

                  On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 5:16 PM, Darlene <d.pauls@...> wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > I find I am having trouble with dehydration, which causes me to get light
                  > headed and BP to go very low.
                  >
                  > Do any of you have this problem, and if so how much water should er
                  > without colons be drinking every day?? 6 cups, 8 cups? I find whenever I
                  > drink soda now, it dumps right into my pouch, which means I'm not getting
                  > any hydration from soda.
                  >
                  > Darlene

                • Darlene Pauls
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 3 7:58 PM
                    Thanks J. Smith for your advice, thank you all for your advice. I will try
                    the ones I can. I will also check with the ostomy nurse where I get my
                    supplies, she is very knowledgeable and probably will tell me all the same
                    thing you all have told me. I have had a horrible winter cold or
                    whatever one calls it, as it's going around like crazy here, and lasts 3 or
                    more weeks with running nose, phlegm, sinus pressure and plain not feeling
                    good and I think that has helped contribute to my dehydration, light
                    headedness and low blood pressure. I have low blood pressure anyway, so
                    probably drinking 16 oz glasses of water at a time only contributes to my
                    dehydration as it goes right through me like you said. I've started
                    putting a bit of salt on my food, so I think that will help and possibly
                    eating salty crackers with lunch, etc.

                    Thank you all for your great advice. When I got my ileostomy in 1009 I
                    joined this group and it was really active and really helped me a lot. I'll
                    keep in touch and let you know what works for me.

                    Darlene

                    Hey Darlene...It may not be HOW MUCH water/liquid you're drinking throughout
                    the day, it may be HOW MUCH YOU'RE DRINKING AT ONE TIME? When I had my end
                    ileostomy I didn't notice this as much but now that I have a loop ileostomy
                    (higher up in the small intestine) I've found that the amount of liquid I
                    drink at one time REALLY matters AS WELL as what I eat when I drink. If I
                    drink 1/2 cup of water straight w/ no food, it tends to go right through me
                    but if I just take frequent sips and eat something starchy (crackers, pasta,
                    oatmeal, bananas, etc) it doesn't go through me.
                    I've also found that sucking in ice cubes lets me get my water fix without
                    getting too much at once. My ostomy nurse also has me use Immodium AD
                    consistently (I take 4/day....before each meal and before bed!) and I've
                    read that consistent use of Immodium is pretty common w/ ostomies if
                    dehydration is an issue?

                    On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 5:16 PM, Darlene <d.pauls@...> wrote:

                    > **
                    >

                    > I find I am having trouble with dehydration, which causes me to get
                    > light headed and BP to go very low.
                    >
                    > Do any of you have this problem, and if so how much water should er
                    > without colons be drinking every day?? 6 cups, 8 cups? I find whenever
                    > I drink soda now, it dumps right into my pouch, which means I'm not
                    > getting any hydration from soda.
                    >
                    > Darlene

                  • Lawrence Mays
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 4 7:30 AM
                      I've had my ostomy since 1965 and still learn from this group. Some things
                      I seem now to forget, and dehydration is one of those issues. Thanks to
                      many for you advise.

                      ~ 73's ~ KB9NPH ~ Larry