Ann, get samples from all 3 companies + tricks of the trade

  • julieatgoal
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 1, 2011
      Hi Ann,

      I am so sorry that you are miserable about your situation.

      I, on the other hand, chose to have an ostomy after I researched all the treatments that were available for me, a UC patient who suffered with UC for over 30 years. So I chose to wear a pouch as opposed to being "shut in" my home or having to wear adult diapers (from which I had skin breakdown) on trips. I am so grateful that I had this operation. I am now free again to go out, travel, swim, walk, kayak ...live a full life!

      When I first was banded, I asked for FREE samples from Coloplast, Convatec and Hollister. They sent me tons of stuff. I experimented to find what suits me the best.

      To this day, in order to achieve success:

      1.) Each week I rotate the products I use, so that my skin won't get irritated from any particular adhesive from one particular company. In other words, week 1, I use a Hollister flange and bag; week 2, I use a Covatec flange and bag; week 3, I use Choloplast flange and bag.

      2.) Every Sat., early in the morning, when my stoma is inactive, I "air out" my stoma....meaning for 30 mins I sit in bed with a book in one hand and a Kleenex in the other. I put the wonderful "Stoma powder" by Hollister around my stoma for the full 30 minutes. Then I brush it off, and apply my flange and pouch as usual.

      3.) I always use E-Z vents (attached to all my pouches) to let gas escape....(usually in the bathroom or in privacy) without having to empty my bag.

      4.) I love swimming for hours and go to Florida twice a year. On week 1, I use "Sureseals" to keep my flange waterproof and in place; on week 2, I "picture frame" my flange with special tape to keep it in place. I have never had a accident while swimming.

      I do admit that ocassionally I have had an accident because I am a rough sleeper. I have yanked my bag off in bed twice in 2 years. My husband was very understanding and went to sleep in the guest bedroom while I cleaned up.

      I've never had an accident in public -- which is way better than when I had bleeding diarrhea and accidents in my car or in public and took tons of meds. So I'm happy.

      Hope these tricks help you out.

      Best of luck,

      Julie from rural Ontario, Canada age 60 last month!
    • Darlene Pauls
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 1, 2011
        Julie,

        Enjoyed reading your email, with all the various ideas. Have you tried
        Sween Cream by Convatec? It is a cream that can be used under the
        flanges/adhesives and it is for sore red dry skin. I am using it now and
        have had great success with it in preventing the red itchy rash under the
        flange/adhesive tape. Are you using 2-piece or one-piece bags. It seems
        like you are using 2-piece bags. I got a sample of the 2-piece from
        Convatec, but it does not have a floating flange like Hollister and you have
        to push against your tummy to snap it shut. Ugh! I never tried the samples.

        I like the idea of Sureseals, must see if my supplier can get them. I think
        they would be great for bathing. I haven't tried swimming for a long time,
        nor worn a real bathing suit either. Oh, I am 72 this month. I've had my
        ileostomy for 2-1/2 years now. I had UC, but the pathology report said it
        was Crohn's. It came on overnight. I now have had colon and rectum removed
        because there was so much scaring after the UC were cured in the rectum and
        the small part of colon that was left in me for re-connection. I am going
        to see if I can get some EZ Vents too.

        Thanks for all the information.

        Darlene

      • Carol Wells
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 2, 2011
          Dear Darlene - Your email was very interesting to me.  I would like to try samples and I looked on-line and tried to find phone numbers, but was unsuccessful.  Do you have phone numbers?  I have had my ileostomy for 9 months now, I am happy with Hollister products, but would like to try these.  Thank you - Carol

           Carol W.

          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 2, 2011
            Convatec: Customer Interaction Center: By phone: 1-800-422-8811 By email: CIC@...

            Hollister: Telephone If you have questions regarding Hollister products and services, or if you would like to speak to the Consumer Programs Team, please call 1-888-740-8999.

            Here is what I found. Both places were really nice. On their websites you can check out all the different products and they have pictures of them as well as descriptions. I did a search of Convatec Ostomy Products and got the Convatec website, same with Hollister.

            Good Luck.

            Darlene

            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 2, 2011
              Thank you very much Darlene!!!

               Carol W.

              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 4, 2011
                Hi Julie

                I have been trying to e-mail you but I have a feeling you aren't getting
                them. You are usually so prompt answering e-mails. I want to talk to you
                about the "Sure Seals" and the waterproof tape that you use.

                Can you please e-mail me so that I know I have the right e-mail address for
                you.

                Thanks a million.

                Pat who is also from rural Ontario

              • julieatgoal
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 5, 2011
                  Hi Darlene,

                  You're most welcome....I don't know where you live, but my company ships for free over an order of $150 to anywhere in Ontario, I think. It comes right to my door.....which is cool, because even my mail doesn't come right to my door. The company is called: Ontario Ostomy Supply Ltd. in Scarborough, ON.

                  Sorry got to rush off...
                  Talk to you later,

                  Julie G. Bancroft.
                • julieatgoal
                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 14, 2011
                    Hi Pat,

                    I've had a very busy fall and have had 2 surgeries as well. Tomorrw, I'm helping my best friend through cancer surgery in Scarborough.

                    But recently when I saw your email, I sent back 2 responses. I hope you received them.

                    Cheers, Julie
                  • Lyrain
                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 15, 2011
                      Hi! Julie,
                      Even if they didn't get your information you shared it with the group thank
                      you for your time.
                      I will be praying for you and your friend.

                      Hugs, Diana From Michigan

                      Have a Great day!
                      810-265-7711
                      Lyrain@...

                      ------------------------------------

                      The Ileostomy Group is part of Crohn's Zone IBD Network at www.crohnszone
                      org

                      |Ostomy Forum: http://www.crohnszone.org/index
                      php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewforum&f=4

                    • Pat Connaughan
                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 15, 2011
                        Hi Julie

                        I hope your surgeries weren't anything too serious. I guess my computer
                        doesn't like yours. I didn't get anything from you at all. This isn't the
                        first time this has happened to me. I have another friend whose e-mails
                        only appear on my laptop but not my desktop. I was wondering if this is
                        what was happening because you are always so prompt at answering e-mails.
                        As a matter of fact, I was going to post to the group tonight to see if
                        anyone could help me.

                        Could you please post the info here so that I can tell the lady in Pembroke
                        the details about the waterproof tape. I will be going to Pembroke next Wed
                        and will be going to the drug store over there. With the good weather we
                        have been having lately, I have put off getting all of my supplies for the
                        winter. I have to take the dog to the groomer and go to the doctor and lab
                        that day so I'm going up there to get everything that I need. Value Village
                        is across the road from the drug store so I'm going to go there at the same
                        time. I have at least 5 boxes of things to drop off there.

                        Thanks. I really appreciate your help.

                        Take care.

                        Pat

                      • julieatgoal
                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 1, 2011
                          Hi Pat,
                          In order to be able to swim and snorkel, I use 2 of the 4 the following
                          items:
                          1.) For flanges: either a.) Hollister long wear flanges (mine are
                          green stripe, pre-cut ) Hollister 14706

                          or b.) Coloplast Xpro base plates (flanges) (mine are red stripe)
                          COL 10026
                          2.) The sealants or tapes that I use are:
                          a.) Sure Seal Rings (it claims: "keeps water out") RS02
                          or b.) Hypafix tape (a hypo allergy tape) This tape breathes really
                          well. I "picture" frame my flange with it.
                          Yes, my surgery went well. I got a brand new gastric band that is
                          guaranteed for 5 years! So I can now continue my weight loss journey.
                          I am down 43 pounds from when I first started in 2002. I had originally
                          lost 76 pounds, but my faulty original band disconnected 4 times in 9
                          years, and during those periods when I was disconnected, I ate much more
                          and gain back much of the weight. So wish me luck!
                          I have no problems whatsoever with my ostomy. I alternate between 3
                          different companyies' products in order to keep my skin from getting
                          irritated from one particular adhesive of one particular brand. That's
                          my trick!
                          Plus I "air out" my stoma, once every 2 weeks:---I lie in bed (armed
                          with lots of Kleenex) without any appliances with only the Hollister
                          ADAPT ostomy powder applied to the skin around my stoma. I let my
                          stoma breath for 30 minutes while I read. Why in the morning? My stoma
                          is fairly inactive at that time. Thus I avoid all skin irritations.
                          Best of luck to you and your friend in Pembroke.Cheers, Julie (from
                          Bancroft)