No posts = everything going well????

  • julieatgoal
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 17, 2011
      Hi there,

      I noticed that no one has posted for a very long time. I guess that must mean that people are NOT having issues -- OR they are not needing help with their issues...

      It's a good sign.

      Have a good school year, everyone!

      Julie G. from Bancroft, ON, Canada.
    • keeshamist
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 18, 2011
        All well here in Oz Julie ..
        Since I had major surgery again just before Christmas I am able to eat solid food again & "Harriett" (my stoma) is behaving really well!!
        Oh & life as a Grammy is wonderful - our little granddaughter Aaliyah turned one year old a couple of weeks ago ...
        Aussie hugs to all & hope everyone else is coping well,
        Kay xx

        --- In ileostomy@yahoogroups.com, "julieatgoal" <julika1@...> wrote:

        > Hi there,
        >
        > I noticed that no one has posted for a very long time. I guess that must mean that people are NOT having issues -- OR they are not needing help with their issues...
        >
        > It's a good sign.
        >
        > Have a good school year, everyone!
        >
        > Julie G. from Bancroft, ON, Canada.

      • ann jones
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 18, 2011
          Hi
          I am a new member and having loads of problems. I hate my stoma and feel like ripping it out. I get no support from anywhere and it it s sore and for the last 7 days has leaked during the night. How do you all cope with it as I feel like I am going round the twist with it. I feel so alone and forgotton
          Ann
          --- In ileostomy@yahoogroups.com, "julieatgoal" <julika1@...> wrote:

          > Hi there,
          >
          > I noticed that no one has posted for a very long time. I guess that must mean that people are NOT having issues -- OR they are not needing help with their issues...
          >
          > It's a good sign.
          >
          > Have a good school year, everyone!
          >
          > Julie G. from Bancroft, ON, Canada.

        • Carol Wells
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 18, 2011
            Hi Ann.  My name is Carol and I've had my stoma since February.  It will all be okay.  I was really down for awhile, but with time it gets easier.  At least, we are alive and we haven't had a stroke or anything more severe.  Hang in there and don't hesitate to email me if I can help you with anything.  :)

             Carol W.

            I am a new member and having loads of problems. I hate my stoma and feel like ripping it out. I get no support from anywhere and it it s sore and for the last 7 days has leaked during the night. How do you all cope with it as I feel like I am going round the twist with it. I feel so alone and forgotton
            Ann
            --- In ileostomy@yahoogroups.com, "julieatgoal" <julika1@...> wrote:

            > Hi there,
            >
            > I noticed that no one has posted for a very long time. I guess that must mean that people are NOT having issues -- OR they are not needing help with their issues...
            >
            > It's a good sign.
            >
            > Have a good school year, everyone!
            >
            > Julie G. from Bancroft, ON, Canada.

          • Sue K.
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 19, 2011
              (((((((((((((Ann))))))))))))))))))))))))))),
              New stomas are so darn ornery at times.  I remember well when em got hers 7 years ago post bowel obstruction and perf.  It took her skin a good 3 months before we could get anything to adhere to it.  Leaks galore. But that being said, it DID get much better.
              Some suggestions for you:
              1.  Call all the major companies - be prepared to spend some time on the phone with each one and ask for samples...... hollister, convatec, new hope, microskin to start.  Explain the problems you are having and ask for solutions.
              2.  Before you put the wafer on, make sure your skin is dry, powder free, and there is NO soap residue...... if you don't the wafer may not adhere right.  Also, you can take a hot pack and place it on the wafer while you shower, or heat it with a hair dryer on low, and that will help it adhere better, too.  Some people lay down with a hot pack over it after they put it on, too.
              3.  OSTOMY BELTS.... yes, your ostomy appliance supplier should have these in stock, and they sometimes do work wonders.
              Hopefully it will all get better quickly.
              sue ( mom to emily - an ostomate for 7.5 years and 16 years old!)

              ------------------------------------

              The Ileostomy Group is part of Crohn's Zone IBD Network at www.crohnszone.org

              |Ostomy Forum: http://www.crohnszone.org/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewforum&f=4

            • Sue K.
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 19, 2011
                ps.   Ann.... your hospital SHOULD have an ostomy nurse.  Call and get a phone number for her/him and talk to them, too!

                The Ileostomy Group is part of Crohn's Zone IBD Network at www.crohnszone.org

                The Ileostomy Group is part of Crohn's Zone IBD Network at www.crohnszone.org

              • cyndybradfield@charter.net
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 19, 2011
                  Yes Ann get in touch with the wound nurse at your hospital she can tell
                  you if there is an ostomy group.Iunderstand the feeling I ended with a
                  fistula and spent a wweek in a pschological institution from reactions
                  to pain killers and meds. I was even diagnosed BI-Polar which I am not.
                  Your surgeon may be a help too as he will check your wound. Your Dr.
                  will nod it smile but be no helpit's out of his hands now. I even missed
                  the diahhrea and sphincter but you will get better with it. I even went
                  bck to work as a teacher. The leaks were legendary. Coloplast has an
                  appliance called Sensura. You don't need paste and it conforms to your
                  skin you just have to be sure of your stoma size which can change
                  post-op. The support people at all the companies are great call them
                  all. Edgepark is a great resource and they will bill your insurance.
                  edgepark.com. You probably got materials from the hospital watch your
                  cd's together with someone who will go through putting the appliance on
                  and help you. Once your weight and stoma stabilize you will have your
                  life back. Concentrate on the absence of the pain, reward yourself with
                  foods you couldn't eat anymore. Make a list of everything you're
                  grateful for. The little stuff like running water and flowers. I can
                  garden again, I can swim, I bought a new sit down go-cart bicycle from
                  tractor supply for exercise. Celebrate independence from steroids and
                  asacol if they gave you that poisen. My husband I happy to have the old
                  Cyndy back. I'm enven considering going to Vanderbilt to get my masters.
                  Life is good and will get better. I believe in you. My neighbor across
                  the street is a child with downs syndrome he has an ostomy, he's high
                  school age. At first he told his Mom take it off but now he is okay he
                  rides horses and swings in his swing again. Things could be so much
                  worse. I also found out recently that almost all auto-immune diseases
                  are a result of estrogen dominance so a gyn or a Dr. who knew could've
                  given us progesterone and it would've balanced our systems enough to
                  heal the ulcerativecolitis or crohns. Sucks to find out now but maybe
                  it'll help someone else. Just know a lot of money is made off the
                  surguries and maintenancing the diseases. Doctors do not make money off
                  of wel people. There is no incentive to cure people for them. Only a few
                  got in it and honor the hippocratic oath. You loo out for you. Nuture
                  yourself. It will get better. In your corner. Cyndy B.

                  <javascript:parent.wgMail.openComposeWindow('ma2mje@...')> >

                  From: Sue K. < ma2mje@...
                  <javascript:parent.wgMail.openComposeWindow('ma2mje@...')> >
                  Subject: Re: [The Ileostomy Group] Re: No posts = everything going
                  well????
                  To: ileostomy@yahoogroups.com
                  <javascript:parent.wgMail.openComposeWindow('ileostomy@yahoogroups.com')>
                  Date: Monday, September 19, 2011, 7:21 AM

                  (((((((((((((Ann))))))))))))))))))))))))))),

                  <javascript:parent.wgMail.openComposeWindow('f.iddie@...')> >

                  From: ann jones < f.iddie@...
                  <javascript:parent.wgMail.openComposeWindow('f.iddie@...')> >
                  To: ileostomy@yahoogroups.com
                  <javascript:parent.wgMail.openComposeWindow('ileostomy@yahoogroups.com')>
                  Date: Sunday, September 18, 2011, 8:28 PM

                  Hi
                  , "julieatgoal" <julika1@...> wrote:

                  > Hi there,
                  > I noticed that no one has posted for a very long time.  I guess that
                  > must mean that people are NOT  having issues -- OR they are not
                  > needing help with their issues...
                  > It's a good sign.
                  > Have a good school year, everyone!
                  > Julie G. from Bancroft, ON, Canada.

                  ------------------------------------

                  The Ileostomy Group is part of Crohn's Zone IBD Network at
                  www.crohnszone.org

                  <http://www.bowelweb.com/chat.htmlYahoo> ! Groups Links

                  ------------------------------------

                  The Ileostomy Group is part of Crohn's Zone IBD Network at
                  www.crohnszone.org

                  |Ostomy Forum:
                  http://www.crohnszone.org/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewforum&f=4
                  <http://www.crohnszone.org/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewforum&f=4>

                  |Ostomy Chat: http://www.bowelweb.com/chat.htmlYahoo
                  <http://www.bowelweb.com/chat.htmlYahoo> ! Groups Links

                  <http://www.bowelweb.com/chat.htmlYahoo>
                  <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>

                • David garcia
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 19, 2011
                    Hi Ann,

                    My daughter had her problems with leakage and overflowing. She also had some problems with irritated skin. First, for leakage you want to take imodium,so it thickens the stool. You don't want to eat after five and definitely do not want to have sugar after five! When my daughters skin was irritated we would put either Aquaphor or IHoney ( purchased at amazon) right on irritated areas. Do not put too much because bag will not stick as well. Make sure when skin is not irritated to put powder and barrier spray around stoma. This will prevent future irritation. My daughter hardly had any problems with her bag, but it was trial and error, and she had me to help her with it.

                    I hope this helps!

                  • julieatgoal
                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 1, 2011
                      Hi Ann,

                      I am so sorry that you are miserable about your situation.

                      I, on the other hand, chose to have an ostomy after I researched all the treatments that were available for me, a UC patient who suffered with UC for over 30 years. So I chose to wear a pouch as opposed to being "shut in" my home or having to wear adult diapers (from which I had skin breakdown) on trips. I am so grateful that I had this operation. I am now free again to go out, travel, swim, walk, kayak ...live a full life!

                      When I first was banded, I asked for FREE samples from Coloplast, Convatec and Hollister. They sent me tons of stuff. I experimented to find what suits me the best.

                      To this day, in order to achieve success:

                      1.) Each week I rotate the products I use, so that my skin won't get irritated from any particular adhesive from one particular company. In other words, week 1, I use a Hollister flange and bag; week 2, I use a Covatec flange and bag; week 3, I use Choloplast flange and bag.

                      2.) Every Sat., early in the morning, when my stoma is inactive, I "air out" my stoma....meaning for 30 mins I sit in bed with a book in one hand and a Kleenex in the other. I put the wonderful "Stoma powder" by Hollister around my stoma for the full 30 minutes. Then I brush it off, and apply my flange and pouch as usual.

                      3.) I always use E-Z vents (attached to all my pouches) to let gas escape....(usually in the bathroom or in privacy) without having to empty my bag.

                      4.) I love swimming for hours and go to Florida twice a year. On week 1, I use "Sureseals" to keep my flange waterproof and in place; on week 2, I "picture frame" my flange with special tape to keep it in place. I have never had a accident while swimming.

                      I do admit that ocassionally I have had an accident because I am a rough sleeper. I have yanked my bag off in bed twice in 2 years. My husband was very understanding and went to sleep in the guest bedroom while I cleaned up.

                      I've never had an accident in public -- which is way better than when I had bleeding diarrhea and accidents in my car or in public and took tons of meds. So I'm happy.

                      Hope these tricks help you out.

                      Best of luck,

                      Julie from rural Ontario, Canada age 60 last month!
                    • Darlene Pauls
                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 1, 2011
                        Julie,

                        Enjoyed reading your email, with all the various ideas. Have you tried
                        Sween Cream by Convatec? It is a cream that can be used under the
                        flanges/adhesives and it is for sore red dry skin. I am using it now and
                        have had great success with it in preventing the red itchy rash under the
                        flange/adhesive tape. Are you using 2-piece or one-piece bags. It seems
                        like you are using 2-piece bags. I got a sample of the 2-piece from
                        Convatec, but it does not have a floating flange like Hollister and you have
                        to push against your tummy to snap it shut. Ugh! I never tried the samples.

                        I like the idea of Sureseals, must see if my supplier can get them. I think
                        they would be great for bathing. I haven't tried swimming for a long time,
                        nor worn a real bathing suit either. Oh, I am 72 this month. I've had my
                        ileostomy for 2-1/2 years now. I had UC, but the pathology report said it
                        was Crohn's. It came on overnight. I now have had colon and rectum removed
                        because there was so much scaring after the UC were cured in the rectum and
                        the small part of colon that was left in me for re-connection. I am going
                        to see if I can get some EZ Vents too.

                        Thanks for all the information.

                        Darlene

                      • Carol Wells
                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 2, 2011
                          Dear Darlene - Your email was very interesting to me.  I would like to try samples and I looked on-line and tried to find phone numbers, but was unsuccessful.  Do you have phone numbers?  I have had my ileostomy for 9 months now, I am happy with Hollister products, but would like to try these.  Thank you - Carol

                           Carol W.

                          Message 12 of 19 , Nov 2, 2011
                            Convatec: Customer Interaction Center: By phone: 1-800-422-8811 By email: CIC@...

                            Hollister: Telephone If you have questions regarding Hollister products and services, or if you would like to speak to the Consumer Programs Team, please call 1-888-740-8999.

                            Here is what I found. Both places were really nice. On their websites you can check out all the different products and they have pictures of them as well as descriptions. I did a search of Convatec Ostomy Products and got the Convatec website, same with Hollister.

                            Good Luck.

                            Darlene

                            Message 13 of 19 , Nov 2, 2011
                              Thank you very much Darlene!!!

                               Carol W.

                              Message 14 of 19 , Nov 4, 2011
                                Hi Julie

                                I have been trying to e-mail you but I have a feeling you aren't getting
                                them. You are usually so prompt answering e-mails. I want to talk to you
                                about the "Sure Seals" and the waterproof tape that you use.

                                Can you please e-mail me so that I know I have the right e-mail address for
                                you.

                                Thanks a million.

                                Pat who is also from rural Ontario

                              • julieatgoal
                                Message 15 of 19 , Nov 5, 2011
                                  Hi Darlene,

                                  You're most welcome....I don't know where you live, but my company ships for free over an order of $150 to anywhere in Ontario, I think. It comes right to my door.....which is cool, because even my mail doesn't come right to my door. The company is called: Ontario Ostomy Supply Ltd. in Scarborough, ON.

                                  Sorry got to rush off...
                                  Talk to you later,

                                  Julie G. Bancroft.
                                • julieatgoal
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Nov 14, 2011
                                    Hi Pat,

                                    I've had a very busy fall and have had 2 surgeries as well. Tomorrw, I'm helping my best friend through cancer surgery in Scarborough.

                                    But recently when I saw your email, I sent back 2 responses. I hope you received them.

                                    Cheers, Julie
                                  • Lyrain
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Nov 15, 2011
                                      Hi! Julie,
                                      Even if they didn't get your information you shared it with the group thank
                                      you for your time.
                                      I will be praying for you and your friend.

                                      Hugs, Diana From Michigan

                                      Have a Great day!
                                      810-265-7711
                                      Lyrain@...

                                      The Ileostomy Group is part of Crohn's Zone IBD Network at www.crohnszone
                                      org

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Nov 15, 2011
                                        Hi Julie

                                        I hope your surgeries weren't anything too serious. I guess my computer
                                        doesn't like yours. I didn't get anything from you at all. This isn't the
                                        first time this has happened to me. I have another friend whose e-mails
                                        only appear on my laptop but not my desktop. I was wondering if this is
                                        what was happening because you are always so prompt at answering e-mails.
                                        As a matter of fact, I was going to post to the group tonight to see if
                                        anyone could help me.

                                        Could you please post the info here so that I can tell the lady in Pembroke
                                        the details about the waterproof tape. I will be going to Pembroke next Wed
                                        and will be going to the drug store over there. With the good weather we
                                        have been having lately, I have put off getting all of my supplies for the
                                        winter. I have to take the dog to the groomer and go to the doctor and lab
                                        that day so I'm going up there to get everything that I need. Value Village
                                        is across the road from the drug store so I'm going to go there at the same
                                        time. I have at least 5 boxes of things to drop off there.

                                        Thanks. I really appreciate your help.

                                        Take care.

                                        Pat

                                      • julieatgoal
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Dec 1, 2011
                                          Hi Pat,
                                          In order to be able to swim and snorkel, I use 2 of the 4 the following
                                          items:
                                          1.) For flanges: either a.) Hollister long wear flanges (mine are
                                          green stripe, pre-cut ) Hollister 14706

                                          or b.) Coloplast Xpro base plates (flanges) (mine are red stripe)
                                          COL 10026
                                          2.) The sealants or tapes that I use are:
                                          a.) Sure Seal Rings (it claims: "keeps water out") RS02
                                          or b.) Hypafix tape (a hypo allergy tape) This tape breathes really
                                          well. I "picture" frame my flange with it.
                                          Yes, my surgery went well. I got a brand new gastric band that is
                                          guaranteed for 5 years! So I can now continue my weight loss journey.
                                          I am down 43 pounds from when I first started in 2002. I had originally
                                          lost 76 pounds, but my faulty original band disconnected 4 times in 9
                                          years, and during those periods when I was disconnected, I ate much more
                                          and gain back much of the weight. So wish me luck!
                                          I have no problems whatsoever with my ostomy. I alternate between 3
                                          different companyies' products in order to keep my skin from getting
                                          irritated from one particular adhesive of one particular brand. That's
                                          my trick!
                                          Plus I "air out" my stoma, once every 2 weeks:---I lie in bed (armed
                                          with lots of Kleenex) without any appliances with only the Hollister
                                          ADAPT ostomy powder applied to the skin around my stoma. I let my
                                          stoma breath for 30 minutes while I read. Why in the morning? My stoma
                                          is fairly inactive at that time. Thus I avoid all skin irritations.
                                          Best of luck to you and your friend in Pembroke.Cheers, Julie (from
                                          Bancroft)