Re: bag performance in very hot weather

  • Pat Connaughan
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 5, 2011
      "I picture frame my flange with Hypafix retention tape or Sure Seal Rings"

      Hi Julie

      I am wondering what the Hypafix retention tape or Sure Seal Rings are.
      Where can you get them? I am terrified to go swimming but I think that
      might be because the ostomy nurse that I had after my first ostomy surgery
      told me never to get it wet.

      I also have a suggestion for you. It works great for me. You mentioned
      that when you change your appliance, you keep a box of Kleenex handy. Try
      using the moist baby wipes. Jay gets me the ones from Costco and they work
      great. There are 88 wipes in a package and 10 (I think) packages in a box.
      I forget how much a case of them costs but it's under $20.00. Because they
      are moist, they are better than Kleenex if your stoma is anything like Sadie
      and likes to do volcano eruptions when she is being changed. I have a
      tendency to get heat rash under my wafer and I have found that these don't
      sting or anything - even if I have some skin breakdown. I also keep a
      package in the bathroom to clean out the mouth of my bag every time I empty
      it. Much easier.

      Enjoy Florida.

      Pat in Ontario

    • julieatgoal
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 15, 2011
        Hi Pat,

        With all the warm weather in Ontario, I would think that you'd like to go for a swim to cool down.

        Pat, believe me, I swim every single day. I stay in the water for about 45 minutes each time, socializing, floating, swimming laps, snorkeling, etc. I order all my stuff at OOS , ie: Ontario Ostomy Supply Ltd, 60 Shorting Rd, Scarborough ON, M1S 3S3, tel: 416-298-8500 Fax:416-298-0476 They courier all my supplies to me in 1 day...free of charge , as long as the order is over a certain amount (I think $150.) I'm always over...

        Pat, in order to ensure that everything stays put, I use flanges from all three companies that are "longer wear" flanges. All you have to do is ask the rep at OOS. They are the same size and quality as the regular ones, but the adhesives are made to stick longer. Also, to keep the flange stuck to my body I use Eakin Seals. Finally, using a Sure Seal ring or "picture framing" my flange with the Hypafix, will keep your flange on in the water. Even when I swim daily, my flanges stay on for about a week. (I prefer the Sureseal to the Hypafix, but rotate between the two, to give my skin a break.)

        Pat, you may remember that I live on a lake....so I swim daily in May + June in Bancroft, then July + August in Florida, then Sept. in Bancroft, then January - March in Florida again. That adds up to 8 months of swimming, usually daily....and I often swim laps so I stay in the water for about 1 hour each time. I have never had a problem.

        I researched all of this before electing to have an ileostomy.. If I had thought that I couldn't swim with an appliance, I think I would have opted to try Remicade or Humira ....and not go through a surgical procedure. So please try it and enjoy your summer more fully! PS. I always buy a swimsuit with a skirt to hide any bumps from the bag. Also, to be sure that the "Velcro type " bags don't open while I'm in the water, I use an ostomy bag clip (a beige one) to be on the safe side.

        Best of luck! Please let me know how it all works out, OK? Julie
      • Pat Connaughan
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 17, 2011
          Hi Julie

          Thanks for the information. I have a couple of different kinds of
          waterproof tape here but I have never really tried them. One is by NexCare
          and the other one is a free sample I ordered from a company in the U.S. I
          am going to get up the nerve to try them and see how good they are.

          There is a medical supply place in Ottawa that I have used a couple of times
          when I have needed something in an emergency when I have been down there.
          The last time was when I had my last colonoscopy. They put in too much air
          and my bag burst. I had used the last of my wafers so my dil took me there
          because the Shoppers Drug Mart that carries ostomy supplies didn't have the
          right kind. If they don't have what I want, I'll try the Toronto place.

          What is the Sure Seal Ring? I always use the Eakin Seals but have never
          heard of those rings.

          As far as a bathing suit goes, I'll probably have to go buy a new one. The
          one I have is a two piece but the top is quite long so it hides everything.
          The only problem is that it is about 6 sizes too big on me. I tried it on a
          couple of years ago and the bottoms just about fell off of me. I also can't
          find the straps for the top which was also way too loose.

          I'll try what you suggested and see what happens. I'll let you know.

          Pat in sweltering hot Ontario

        • cyndybradfield@charter.net
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 17, 2011
            Be glad you didn't try the Remicade sometimes one IV woud take 3 hours
            and then it took 4 times before I was told it wasn't working. Besides
            side effects of Lymphoma Cancer is hardly worth the risk. I think Drs.
            are barking up the wrong tree. An overacytive immune response means the
            body is trying to do what it's supposed to. There is just too much money
            being made to want a cure. Illness is business. Well people don't go to
            Doctors. I made them locate my stoma further away from my naval so I
            could swim with no waterleakage, I've got a short waist. Was on the swim
            team in high school, used toscuba when I was younger. I haven't figured
            it out like you have but I'm encouraged. Cyndy B.

            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>

          • cyndybradfield@charter.net

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 20, 2011
                Sure seal rings were actually invented by someone I know who is originally from Ottawa and is a swimmer. it's a thin sheet designed to go over the flange and extend out a ways to both keep the flange secure and allow you to SEE a leak before it actually becomes a problem. They are great, I get them online from Best Buy Ostomy Supplies as it's the cheapest source I've found, but SHHC does sell them: http://www.bestbuyostomy.com/product/ACT%20RS%200210

                I've had two leaks in 6 months (both last week lol) and I usually get to see them and know they are happening thanks to using the seal - I can even wait to change as it keeps it secure until I have the opportunity.

                Mary

                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 2, 2011
                  Hi Pat,

                  This is my 4th weeks by the ocean. I go swimming for hours every day. All is going really well with my pouch. No accidents what so ever.

                  Sureseals are terrific. They are transparent and circular and go around your flange to keep the flange secure. You use sureseals instead of "picture framing" with other tapes. I use sureseal for a week, and then "picture frame" with a different tape -- because if I use
                  sureseals for two weeks in a row, my skin gets a little irritated. (I "picture frame" with Hypafix - a very non irritating tape that sticks well.)

                  Best of luck,

                  Julie
                • Pat Connaughan
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 5, 2011
                    Hi Julie

                    No, I haven't tried swimming yet. I have checked the super seals on the
                    internet and printed up what I found. I have to go to Pembroke next week so
                    I'm going to take what I have to the drugstore where I get my supplies and
                    see if they can get them for me. If they can't, I guess I'll have to order
                    them online.

                    It's so hot here right now, that I'm not the least bit jealous that you are
                    in Florida. Now in the winter, that is a totally different matter.

                    Pat

                  • julieatgoal
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 13, 2011
                      Hi Pat,

                      I hope that you have tried swimming by now...I am swimming a lot daily, everyday, especially now that I've taken up snorkelling. I wish you lots of luck with the swimming -- which I often do without sureseals. I use hypafix instead and it works just as well and I feel is less irritating to the skin.

                      About the heatwave: many people in Ontario and Quebec don't realize that it's actually cooler by the Florida seashore than being in a heat wave in Quebec/Ontario. We never get higher than 93 degrees F...and there as ALWAYS a breeze! We had lots of Ontarians here in the past 3 weeks -- they were relieved to cool off in Lauderdale By The Sea.

                      By the way, Happy Birthday, Pat! I know your BD is coming up soon!

                      Best wishes,

                      Julie (soon returning to Bancroft, ON)