Re: crohn's + ileostomy = bloating + gas

  • Carol
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 25, 2011
      do you drink a lot of milk?

    • buddsharry@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 8 , May 1, 2011
        I was told yogurt helps and I tried it and it did give me some relief. There is always Gas-X But I think the Oval gel tabs worked the best for me. Beano seemed to work the opposite for me.

        --- In ileostomy@yahoogroups.com, "Carol" <carolwells1953@...> wrote:

        > do you drink a lot of milk?
        >
        > --- In ileostomy@yahoogroups.com, harold z <harzyl@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Any and all suggestions to relieve the bloating and gas would be appreciated.
        > > Thanks.
        > >
        > > HarZyl

      • julieatgoal
        Message 3 of 8 , May 6, 2011
          Hi there,

          I don't have Crohn's -- but I've had my entire colon + rectum removed because of 33 years of UC. I've had an ilesotomy pouch for over 2 years. I love all foods, even cabbage and many other foods that cause lots of gas. I don't worry about gas because on every single pouch that I use, I have inserted/ glued an "Osto-EZ vent." Have you ever heard of those? They work miraculously! It's a little valve, like on a beach ball -- and you can let the gas out discreetly when you're alone, or in the bathroom, or wherever, and whenever, WITHOUT having to empty your pouch each time. You can check out their website. These are available in the USA and in Canada, where I live.

          The website is: www.kemOnline.com It's the best invention ever!
          It takes a little time to prepare your pouches -- I prepare 10 in about 30 minutes and I am set for about 2 months! Don't forget to use 99% rubbing alcohol in the process of preparing your pouch!

          Best of luck,

          Julie G from rural Ontario
          --- In ileostomy@yahoogroups.com, harold z <harzyl@...> wrote:

          > Any and all suggestions to relieve the bloating and gas would be appreciated.
          > Thanks.
          >
          > HarZyl

        • William Hiel
          Message 4 of 8 , May 7, 2011
            and a little redness around the appliances (attachment) area. I don't use a 2 piece flange type but a 1 piece made by cymed. Any tips my fellow group members can provide will be most appreciated. Thank you!

            Be well.

            WillLIVE 4 LOVE

          • julieatgoal
            Message 5 of 8 , May 9, 2011
              Hi William,

              In the past 2.5 years, in order to avoid irritation, I do the following:

              1.) I treat the irritated area with that "magical" powder called Adapt Stoma Powder by Hollister. In the morning when my stoma is relatively inactive, I put the powder on and allow the whole irritated area "air out." I lie in bed with Kleenex in hand....but do NOT put on a pouch for about 20 mins. I let the air and the Adapt stoma powder heal the irritation. Works every time!

              2.) I rotate the type of pouch I use every week. ie: I use Coloplastfor 1 week, Convatec the next, and then Hollister. Then back to Coloplast. That way my skin doesn't have a chance to get irritated.

              3.)I always use the very expensive Eakin Seals. They are close to hypo-allergetic, in my opinion.

              Best of luck,

              Julie G. in rural Ontario

              -
            • William Hiel
              Message 6 of 8 , May 9, 2011
                Thank you very much for the tips. I appreciate it alot. Can't wait to try it out. My skin does need a break. (Not that kind). LOL

                Will

                LIVE 4 LOVE

                The Ileostomy Group is part of Crohn's Zone IBD Network at www.crohnszone.org

                |Ostomy Forum: http://www.crohnszone.org/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewforum&f=4

              • ~Diana~
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 9, 2011
                  What are you eatting everyday?
                  If you don't remember could you try to keep a writen account of what you do eat then take away things until you find what is giving you problems with the gas and bloating.

                  Just an idea.
                  Diana