Re: Depressed After Surgery!!!

  • the
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 19, 2010
      My heartfelt appreciation and thank you blessings to all who replied.

      My hair still falling. Wondering how long the hair falling stage usually lasts?? :(

      @Annie I don't know how to lose weight gained from steroids. Maybe Google it. Wish I could help with that.

      --- In ileostomy@yahoogroups.com, "Annie" <skemp08@...> wrote:

      > I was so glad to see someone else had experienced hair loss. I had my permanet ileostomy with a total colectomy a little over a year ago. I too can confirm that hair DOES grow back. My once long thick hair fell out so badly that it was the width of a pencil when I put it in a ponytail. Now one year and 4 months later, my hair has become healthy again and grown back!
      >
      > What I battle NOW is finding some way to get weight off after being on steroids for so long!! I have my hair back but am SO DEPRESSED because of the weight gain! Any advice on this would be priceless!! HELP!
      >
      > P.S. I am taking my first cruise next week ... I will be attempting to swim with my pouch for the first time ... and NOT care how large I look in a swimsuit, dangit! aaaarrrrggghhh!
      >
      > --- In ileostomy@yahoogroups.com, "thevioletgarden" <thevioletgarden@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I had my proctocolectomy on 7/8/10 and now I'm experiencing a great deal of hair loss, that doesn't seem to want to stop. I'm taking B12 sublingual, B complex, biotin, and a multi, but it's still shedding profusely. :((

    • dpauls
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 20, 2010
        I lost a lot of hair after my colectomy. The dermatologist had me get some
        RX Systems shampoo for Fine Hair, and conditioner, and told me to shampoo
        every day, and my hair would be back within a year! Ugh! Well, my hair was
        back in 6 months after it started falling out. The falling out didn't
        really start for me until about 3 months after the surgery. The RX Systems
        shampoo have alpha hydroxy stuff in them. There is a website for it - it's
        not overly expensive at all. I also take their Amino Acid tablets which is
        supposed to help the hair.

        I don't know the answer to losing weight after having steroids, since I had
        diarrhea so bad, I lost weight - was under 100 lbs, so I had to gain weight.
        If you find out the answer to losing weight after steroids, please post the
        answer.

        Oh, I was depressed after the surgery, which continued for a while, and then
        was on and off. Someone told me I was grieving for the loss of my colon.

        Darlene