Solutions and ideas!!!!!

  • danwith3
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2009
      I thought we could share a few tips we have picked up along the wa
      that has worked for us or made things easier and why.
      Of course no one thing suits us all so if we all share we can use
      each others tips ;o)

      Mine are;
      My 2-piece coloplast easyflex. Why? Because I can get a better seal
      when I can see what I am doing so less leaks for me. Also bags by the
      2/3 day tend to start blowing up like a ballon from gas. This way,
      before I need to change the base plate (flange) I can change the bag
      part.

      Peppermint oil.......A few drps in my bag during a change has really
      help my embarressment with smell. I am now experimenting with other
      oils. Citronella is good too!!!!

      Warming the baseplate before sticking on.............Makes such a
      difference to peventing leakings, I wrap in a flanel and put it on
      the radiator before a bath or put it in my bra or under my armpit!

      Preferences....

      I wear small knickers under my stoma/bag big knickersdon't work for
      me.
      I try to wear all trousers waisted abover my bag, as soon as I try
      and wear a pair that pulls across the stoma, I tend to leak.

      I often wear fitted vests/camisoles as thay cover over the bag so
      they neer stick out above trousers.

      Danni xxx
    • tcbnk@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2009
        Danni,
        Thanks for your tips! I will definitely be sharing them with Nichola.
        Colleen in CA

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 7, 2009
          Hi Danni

          Thanks for the tip about the peppermint in your bag. I'm going to try that
          the next time I eat something that I know is going to stink up the house -
          like fish.

          When I had my first ostomy surgery, the ENT nurse told me to go to Wal-Mart
          or some other place and buy the cheapest mouthwash I could find. Their
          private brand is something like $2.56 for a 1.5L bottle so that is what I
          usually get. I put about 10cc in my bag everytime I empty it and for the
          most part it does help to kill the odor. The best thing I ever used,
          though, was the mouthwash that they gave you in the hospital. It was so
          gross I wouldn't even soak my dentures in it but it sure did get rid of any
          odor in my bag. It didn't take me long to build up a little stockpile of
          the stuff. Each shift I would ask a different nurse for some of it and by
          the time I got home had at least 10 bottles of the stuff. I don't know what
          it was but it sure worked.

          I don't have to worry about the tops of my bags showing above the waist of
          my pants. My stoma is really low so I have the opposite problem. I have to
          make sure that I don't wear skirts or shorts that are too short or the
          bottom peeks out. Thank goodness I have never been one to wear anything
          really short anyway so it's not a big problem.

          Pat in Ontario